• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer thread

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get this back on track we normally use ours about 15-20 times a year. Mainly I use it for breads/pizza dough and the wife uses it for baking. No attachments currently since we have a manual pasta machine that predates the stand mixer and is rarely used.

This is a timely thread as I mentioned to my wife earlier this week that my 2011 goal is to make bread weekly. Possibly threak worthy.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i do have to speak up in defense of dried, though. fresh pasta is amazing. good dried pasta is amazing. they're two different things. dried is not a "canned" version of fresh.
I only use the pasta roller. Nothing else. Mainly I use it because our countertops are too thick to clamp a manual roller. I don't like fresh extruded pasta. I prefer dried unless we are talking sheets/raviolis etc. If I could give the machine back for a refund, I would. Basically useless.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I only use the pasta roller. Nothing else. Mainly I use it because our countertops are too thick to clamp a manual roller. I don't like fresh extruded pasta. I prefer dried unless we are talking sheets/raviolis etc. If I could give the machine back for a refund, I would. Basically useless.
huh, never heard someone say that before, about the kitchenaid or fresh pasta really. this may be useful for you: http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
huh, never heard someone say that before, about the kitchenaid or fresh pasta really. this may be useful for you:

http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Or, if he wants, he could just give it to me.

I'll list it up on B&S for a really great price, let someone offer to take it, and then unexpectedly and rudely raise the price. I think epic lulz may ensue.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Or, if he wants, he could just give it to me.

I'll list it up on B&S for a really great price, let someone offer to take it, and then unexpectedly and rudely raise the price. I think epic lulz may ensue.

eh, it's been done.
i almost offered to take it off his hands, but i use ours so seldom that i don't think i really need a replacement. love having it on hand.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah ... extruded fresh pasta is the pits. it's actually kind of a misinterpretation of what dried pasta is all about. good dried pasta is really complicated to make: the dough is just hard wheat and water and it's really, really tough. the extrusion has to be done at the right temperature, and even with the right dies that let the dough slip, but still leave a slightly rough texture; and drying is an art unto itself, making sure that the pasta dries completely, but evenly. there's a reason a good artisanal pasta costs $4 to $5 a pound.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I make fresh pasta I make the dough in the food processor, not the Kitchenaid. My wife tried to give Kyle our old Kenwood mixer, but he moved out of town before she could offer.

Maybe I just don't know how to use the thing to good effect. I don't really use a food processor either, except for dough.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
When I make fresh pasta I make the dough in the food processor, not the Kitchenaid. My wife tried to give Kyle our old Kenwood mixer, but he moved out of town before she could offer.

Maybe I just don't know how to use the thing to good effect. I don't really use a food processor either, except for dough.

what about a blender?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i make the dough in the food processor, too. that's different than extruded, right? what i was going on about are those machines that extrude fresh pasta dough in dried pasta shapes.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
what about a blender?
Blender I use all the time. Also a new Thermomix, which is really cool.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i make the dough in the food processor, too. that's different than extruded, right? what i was going on about are those machines that extrude fresh pasta dough in dried pasta shapes.
Extruded is like when you push it out something that looks like a meat grinder.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Blender I use all the time. Also a new Thermomix, which is really cool.
Have you ever noticed how every time you ask me for advice on something consumer-kitchen-related, I give you advice, you opt not to take it, and then you're happier in the long run? That makes me feel bad.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Have you ever noticed how every time you ask me for advice on something consumer-kitchen-related, I give you advice, you opt not to take it, and then you're happier in the long run? That makes me feel bad.
You just said you hadn't heard of it, not that I shouldn't get it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
You just said you hadn't heard of it, not that I shouldn't get it.

Oh I thought I told you about something else.

NVmind that was in the vitamix pm session, not the thermomix.

Mah bad!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads