• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The King's Speech

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from protesting the movie. I did not see it, but like most religious zealots I do not have to.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
I found a Tom Ford in Tokyo which fits me like heaven, but turned out to be a half canvassed thingamie. That I have little patience for, especially at those prices.

I thought all Tom Ford suits were fully canvassed?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Makes me happy that I don't watch movies post ... ohhhh ... 1955.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonderful movie. Saw it yesterday. Yes, jacket collars are awful in the first half but get better after that. The Duke of Windsor's jackets are good throughout the movie however. Except for formal shirts, the regular shirt collars look like Dolce & Gabbana bespoke....not exactly king-like.

xpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ecclespeccles
I suggest an oscar category for best male suit collar given the obvious public interest in these matters

laugh.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Excellent movie, terrible clothes. There wasn't a single jacket collar in the movie that wasn't constantly playing hard-to-get with its wearer's neck.

Not surprising. Colin only wears jeans. Even to dinner.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump - good interview with the costume designer here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Thats too bad, you have missed a few good ones..........
Don't believe everything I write. You should know better.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I thought all Tom Ford suits were fully canvassed?

would like to hear what most people here think is the difference between a full canvass jacket and a half canvass one and what perceived affects it would have on it's wear. this is one of those things that is so regularly thrown around here (Oh no, it's only half canvassed!!!) that I think it just gets repeated without any thought. Not accusing you of this, but a lot of people here seem to have a dislike a half canvassed jacket, and I don't think they even know what it is they dislike. BTW, Borrelli used to make one of the softest (chest/waist, shoulders), unstructured jackets that you could find (it was the Sorrento, I think), and it was fused.

The coat collar thing here has really reached ridiculous proportions. you are not suppose to be able to do the locust yoga pose and have the collar stuck to your neck.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
would like to hear what most people here think is the difference between a full canvass jacket and a half canvass one and what perceived affects it would have on it's wear. this is one of those things that is so regularly thrown around here (Oh no, it's only half canvassed!!!) that I think it just gets repeated without any thought. Not accusing you of this, but a lot of people here seem to have a dislike a half canvassed jacket, and I don't think they even know what it is they dislike. BTW, Borrelli used to make one of the softest (chest/waist, shoulders), unstructured jackets that you could find (it was the Sorrento, I think), and it was fused.

+1 Nothing wrong with a half canvas jacket when it's well made.

Originally Posted by edmorel
The coat collar thing here has really reached ridiculous proportions. you are not suppose to be able to do the locust yoga pose and have the collar stuck to your neck.

+1000000

People are vastly exaggerating things in this thread in regards to the collars in the film. It's nowhere near as bad as some here claim.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great film, touching and funny.

I thought the clothes fit was probably a characterisation element. I noticed the fit of Bertie's got better as the film went on and by the end was pretty good. Logue was a poor actor/speech therapist so would have worn inexpensive tailoring from Burton or Hepworth. POW was an insufferable b*****d and portrayed as such.

It was a film not a documentary.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How was portrayed the Queen Mother?

She wasn't a very nice person in real life too...

BerryWall

Reaction score
The coat collar thing here has really reached ridiculous proportions. you are not suppose to be able to do the locust yoga pose and have the collar stuck to your neck.[/quote]

I highly recommend that you watch a clip from the musical "The Band Wagon". starring Fred Astaire. It can be found on YouTube under the title "Steppin' out with my baby" Fred Astaire (I'm sorry I do not know how to post the link.) This has the justly famous slow motion sequence towards the end of the number. It shows Astaire's matchless artistry of course as well as a suit coat that barely moves throughout the entire number. It is well worth watching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads