• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the "Jewish Ivy-Leaguer" haircut

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good haircut that flatters my face and is appropriate with my style of dress. My style is conveyed pretty well by the photos I'm posting (basically, a modernized, slimmed-down take on classic Ivy League style). My hair is curly and has a tendency to get kind out of control.

Anyway, I like slightly asymetrical look I'm doing right now, but I feel like a slightly different cut might be easier to keep in control and/or look better in general. Right now, I wash daily with that tresemme shampoo and conditioner and use a *tiny* bit of aveda for men liquid pomade. Should I just use more pomade, apply it differently, switch to different products altogether, or what?

Thanks,
wmmk
---------------------
Here I am now:
8ba47f21.jpg

Here's how it looks like when it's shorter:
E82G6473-1.jpg

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no offense, but you look 12 years old and couldn't have gotten into Smoke's with a real ID (and this coming from someone who went ivy league)

I think you need to pack on about 30 lbs so your face does not overwhelm the rest of your body. As for the hair, try slicking it back a little like Antonio Banderas.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would back away from the asymetrical look and go for a more balanced style. You have good hair, use it to your full advantage.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That aint good hair.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
no offense, but you look 12 years old and couldn't have gotten into Smoke's with a real ID (and this coming from someone who went ivy league) I think you need to pack on about 30 lbs so your face does not overwhelm the rest of your body. As for the hair, try slicking it back a little like Antonio Banderas.
Well, I'm actually only 15. Not Ivy [yet], just aspiring. Show some love in 2 years, Columbia, please. (Just out of interest, I'm assuming that based on the Smoke's reference, you went to Penn, yeah?) Anyway, what makes me look twelve, and is there anything other than bulking up that I might be able to do about that? Thanks for the slicking-back-the-hair advice, but I have a pretty large forehead (which that would only accentuate), and a "badass" kind of hair style might come across as contrived on a nerdy-ass kid like me.
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I would back away from the asymetrical look and go for a more balanced style. You have good hair, use it to your full advantage.
I see. What kind of less asymmetrical styles would work with my face and also "use my hair to its full advantage," as you say?
Originally Posted by Eason
That aint good hair.
I'm honestly not sure what makes hair good/bad/mediocre/whatever. What makes my hair bad, and do you dislike the style, or the hair itself? Thanks again to all, wmmk

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
He's got a high hairline and his hair looks a bit frizzy and thin.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I see. What kind of less asymmetrical styles would work with my face and also "use my hair to its full advantage," as you say? wmmk
You need to find a good stylist and try some more symetrical styles. It may take more than one or two haircuts to find something that suits you. Go find a real pro, it will be worth the time and $ you spend to get the right look. Good luck!

acg2010

Reaction score
From someone at a school like you aspire to (amherst), you'll never find anyone walking around with the asymmetrical style. Maybe down the road at hampshire, but not at amherst. Try shortening it and cleaning it up and making it symmetrical. Other than that it's hard to say because hair styles are such a personal thing.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
He's got a high hairline and his hair looks a bit frizzy and thin.

That is your opinion, but any person works with what he has. A good haircut will be very flattering and much more stylish.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acg2010
From someone at a school like you aspire to (amherst), you'll never find anyone walking around with the asymmetrical style. Maybe down the road at hampshire, but not at amherst. Try shortening it and cleaning it up and making it symmetrical. Other than that it's hard to say because hair styles are such a personal thing.
Funny you should mention Amherst. My dad was at at Amherst and Yale in the late 70's and a lot of guys in his old yearbooks had at least somewhat asymmetrical-looking hair. I did visit [Amherst] this autumn though, and people did seem to look very clean-cut. FWIW, I wouldn't mind looking a bit more "Hampshire" than most Amherst kids or more "NYU" than most Columbia kids.

I don't mind the idea of having a more symmetrical style, I just want to avoid the perfectly-round/symmetrical jewfro look and also keep my hair from getting too neat.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
You need to find a good stylist and try some more symetrical styles. It may take more than one or two haircuts to find something that suits you. Go find a real pro, it will be worth the time and $ you spend to get the right look. Good luck!
Yeah, I actually go to what I thought was a good stylist. If I'm paying 30-40 bucks for a haircut in Chicago, am I at what you'd consider a good place? I pretty much asked for this haircut the last time I was there, so it's not really the stylist's fault if I look bad.

Anyway, would something like either of these work for me:
DBmarkmainz3.jpg

DBmarkmainz4.jpg

acg2010

Reaction score
Yeah, for the most part we're all pretty clean cut New England preppy style.

The problem is youve got a real broad forehead and narrow point chin. If you look at the top model at least, he's got a pretty broad face all over and thick neck etc. You look overtaken by your hair, which does as another poster said, make you look 12 (granted you're not that much beyond that). They also have wavy hair, but not curly hair. Your hair isn't like either of those two. It looks from your pictures like you have tight curls. Those are also models on a runway, not necessarily an everyday kinda hair style.

I go with something that's asymmetrical but can be made to look several different ways. Usually parted to one side with heavy texture and a little messy. Hard to explain.

My best suggestion is as others have noted, go to a good hair stylist and have them work with you on the best cut.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
richardayoade460.jpg
crackup[1].gif
I'm sorry, but you reminded me of that. It's from the BBC's IT Crowd. Okay, seriously now. Jewfro. That's how we rocked it at Brown. You can also crop it short on the side and back while keeping it curly in the front and top, which is what I do now that I'm in the working world. The curly front will help minimize your forehead as well. Brown may be the exception (we always are) but the WASPY look wasn't too big. You may also want to invest in some better conditioners/anti-frizz measures. As an aside, I was more of a mess at 15 than you are now, so no worries. Play around, experiment and don't adhere to any particular rules that you don't want to. You're at the age where you can get away with it. Enjoy it while it lasts! I applaud your personal style because I assume it's not the norm at your high school.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Well, I'm actually only 15. Not Ivy [yet], just aspiring. Show some love in 2 years, Columbia, please. (Just out of interest, I'm assuming that based on the Smoke's reference, you went to Penn, yeah?)

Anyway, what makes me look twelve, and is there anything other than bulking up that I might be able to do about that? Thanks for the slicking-back-the-hair advice, but I have a pretty large forehead (which that would only accentuate), and a "badass" kind of hair style might come across as contrived on a nerdy-ass kid like me.

You dont need to be nerdy to go to a ivy league school. Nor do you need to dress a certain way to get into columbia. Only during the interviews do you need to b like that. Dress the way you feel is appropriate. Wear a t shirt and jeans if you find that the best for you. Dont be so hung up on trying to imrpess people with clothing, most people can tell by how youtalk to them how impressed they are from their encoutners with you.

As for the hair, try just evening it out the whole way around your head. Why is there so much hair on the left side but not the same on the right said? Just even it out get a t shirt some jeans. Have some fun in your life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads