• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
13838094_17196148_1000.jpg

This is pretty damn cool.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that curb bracelet a recent purchase? And is it the vintage one at Union LA? Wondering if that's the same one I've been eyeing for a while. Looks good on you!

Thanks. It was a Valentine's Day gift from my wife (yeah, she even ordered it and everything!), and yes, it was from Union LA (https://store.unionlosangeles.com/p...age-curb-chain-bracelet?variant=1403681472521). This one in particular - as you can tell, is quite nice and heavy. Not as heavy as say, Jen's Good Art Viva bracelet, which I think is about 125-150g, but close to 100 g, which is about the heftiness of the heaviest Hermes Chaine d'Ancre bracelets (I have one on the second heaviest weight). I didn't love the closure (it is single sided, so it slips off a bit too easily, so I actually use a strand of braided silk and one of these:
ga-s-toggle.jpg

that I got special ordered through @kiya (I got 2 just in case) to close it up. It gets banged up on the reverse side, which makes it sorta even more cool, though with basically no resale value. I really love it, and am wearing it intertwined with a Guidi bracelet:

P1016945.jpg

for a pretty cool effect right now.

For wearing more than on thing at a time, my rule is - no more than one chunky piece. So, if I want to wear the curb chain, I wear something fairly slim, like a Flathead S-clasp bracelet. And if I want to do silver and leather, then it's slim-slim, like the Hermes Chaine d'ancre and flathead S-clasp together, or slim-wide - like the Chaine d'Ancre with an MA+ bracelet.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. It was a Valentine's Day gift from my wife (yeah, she even ordered it and everything!), and yes, it was from Union LA (https://store.unionlosangeles.com/p...age-curb-chain-bracelet?variant=1403681472521). This one in particular - as you can tell, is quite nice and heavy. Not as heavy as say, Jen's Good Art Viva bracelet, which I think is about 125-150g, but close to 100 g, which is about the heftiness of the heaviest Hermes Chaine d'Ancre bracelets (I have one on the second heaviest weight). I didn't love the closure (it is single sided, so it slips off a bit too easily, so I actually use a strand of braided silk and one of these:
ga-s-toggle.jpg

that I got special ordered through @kiya (I got 2 just in case) to close it up. It gets banged up on the reverse side, which makes it sorta even more cool, though with basically no resale value. I really love it, and am wearing it intertwined with a Guidi bracelet:

P1016945.jpg

for a pretty cool effect right now.

For wearing more than on thing at a time, my rule is - no more than one chunky piece. So, if I want to wear the curb chain, I wear something fairly slim, like a Flathead S-clasp bracelet. And if I want to do silver and leather, then it's slim-slim, like the Hermes Chaine d'ancre and flathead S-clasp together, or slim-wide - like the Chaine d'Ancre with an MA+ bracelet.

Ha, yea, that's the same bracelet I was looking at for a while. Looks nice on you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the company "Laver". It sells on Silver and Gold (https://store.silver-and-gold.com/?mode=cate&cbid=2296197&csid=0 ) as well as arknets (https://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?k=laver&sid=arknets&l-id=gs_product_search). These are stores I trust and that carry a wide variety of pretty quality brands, so I'm inclined to think that when both stores carry a lot of styles from this brand, that it's reasonably legit.

Apparently, the silver is from Tacxco and the company is out of LA. I used the A lot of curb chain styles as well as a number of styles that are copies (tributes) to classic Hermes styles. They have a bracelet that is very similar to the Hermes Crescendo bracelet, for example, and another couple featuring the classic horsebit that is definitely inspired by the Filet de Selle variations.

Of course, the appeal, aside from the cost, which is generally 1/3 to 1/4 that of Heremes, is that those styles (like the Crescendo) are never found in men's sizes at Hermes. But I've not been able to find anything at all about the company. My google-fu has failed me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the company "Laver". It sells on Silver and Gold (https://store.silver-and-gold.com/?mode=cate&cbid=2296197&csid=0 ) as well as arknets (https://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?k=laver&sid=arknets&l-id=gs_product_search). These are stores I trust and that carry a wide variety of pretty quality brands, so I'm inclined to think that when both stores carry a lot of styles from this brand, that it's reasonably legit.

Apparently, the silver is from Tacxco and the company is out of LA. I used the A lot of curb chain styles as well as a number of styles that are copies (tributes) to classic Hermes styles. They have a bracelet that is very similar to the Hermes Crescendo bracelet, for example, and another couple featuring the classic horsebit that is definitely inspired by the Filet de Selle variations.

Of course, the appeal, aside from the cost, which is generally 1/3 to 1/4 that of Heremes, is that those styles (like the Crescendo) are never found in men's sizes at Hermes. But I've not been able to find anything at all about the company. My google-fu has failed me.
Incidentally, the google translation from the Silver and Gold page is pure poetry. Probably someone who speaks Japanese would understand some weird juxtapotion of specific words:
"
A designer living in LA found the American Silver roots and arrived at Mexico's Silver Sacred Place, Tasco. A town famous for its sparkling silver ornaments in silver arrus during the Spanish colonial era. There is also a well-known jeweler accessory, and a skilled silver craftsman exists. LAVER (Rubber) is a 100% Tasco-made accessory brand that uses traditional techniques and is finished with one point one point all hand method. You can feel the warmth and taste while being stoic to be awkward."

The laste sentence is the best.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If its only found in a few Japanese stores maybe the brand is under Japanese ownership even though LA based and produced in Mexico? Sort of like Nor'Easterly Scottish knitwear or something, although I think that was a historic brand name already before it was bought up by Japanese owners. A blog post on S&G's site mentions how workshops in Tacxco are OEMs for some famous brands. Silver and Gold's stock is usually pretty good so I'd expect the stuff to be legit, as you say.

A beautiful town among North Central America, a town famous for its silver ornaments, etc. The Mexican town TAXCO (Tasco).

It has long been known for mining silver, and there are many ateliers that deal with OEMs of famous brands, and it is also a city where skilled craftsmen are still active. It has long been known for mining silver, and there are many ateliers that deal with OEMs of famous brands, and it is also a city where skilled craftsmen are still active.

Accessories brand from LA, LAVER | The designer of the rubber has sought and arrived at the roots of American Silver, that Mexican town TAXCO (Tasco).

Visiting the site, looking at the high level of craftsmen's skills, it seems that they are made with TAXCO.

And, utilizing the traditional techniques this season, we have received accessories made by hand one by one.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think someone in here recommended Moonpi jewelry? How's the quality of their silver and other metals?

Cheap(er) silver jewelry has irritated my skin, is there any way to differentiate silver when buying online? Is all Sterling silver the same (92.5% silver) and reacts the same on your skin? How about regular silver?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think someone in here recommended Moonpi jewelry? How's the quality of their silver and other metals?

Cheap(er) silver jewelry has irritated my skin, is there any way to differentiate silver when buying online? Is all Sterling silver the same (92.5% silver) and reacts the same on your skin? How about regular silver?

I recommended their jewelry. I can't speak to the quality, as my skin isn't sensitive to silver. But, the construction and design were good.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten iPhone camera fixed, but - today - Hermes Chaine d'Ancre bracelet in the GM (grand moyen) size. It's one of the most uniformly robust pieces of silver jewelry I've seen - all the stress points are distributed evenly and twist is in all directions - a terrific feat of engineering and designe, and super thick woven leather bracelet from Genten Firenze:
2019-05-17.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics