• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all you Turquoise lovers out there, just got this insane 12x12 cushion cab from the now closed Sleeping Beauty mine in Arizona. This turquoise is arguably the best in the world, perfectly blue with no veining. Whenever this stuff crosses my path I buy it immediately.

View attachment 1596372 View attachment 1596373
Gotta admit I am way out of my depth being able to discern good turquoise. I can usually spot Eidos pants pretty well, though.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you wear a Jesus chain if you are an atheist? I mean, they do look cool...
This is about 1/4 of my wife's collection. We're as irreligious as they come.
IMG_0680.jpeg
IMG_0683.jpeg

Some of that silver is badly in need of polishing

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
For all you Turquoise lovers out there, just got this insane 12x12 cushion cab from the now closed Sleeping Beauty mine in Arizona. This turquoise is arguably the best in the world, perfectly blue with no veining. Whenever this stuff crosses my path I buy it immediately.

View attachment 1596372 View attachment 1596373
That’s interesting that veining is undesirable, as someone with zero stone knowledge the veins are what makes turquoise interesting to me

dwiz

Reaction score
That’s interesting that veining is undesirable, as someone with zero stone knowledge the veins are what makes turquoise interesting to me

hmm thats interesting to hear! I think a lot of the desire comes from it's rarity and being uncommon, it's like finding a vintage McQueen runway piece on the market.

Destination_Arubin

Reaction score
I think there are two schools of thought; those who like turquoise with a lot of matrix (host rock veining) and those who prefer a clear consistent colour.

Sleeping Beauty turquoise is very famous, and was commonly used in Tiffany's jewellery for a long time, although I'm not sure about now since the mine has been closed for several years. The other turquoise I can think of which is known for clear, consistent colours is Persian; however a lot has been mined and very few high-quality stones are produced these days.

There are also collectors who favour turquoise with interesting matrix patterns, and flecks of iron pyrite (fools gold). The most expensive turquoise in the world is of this variety. Lander Blue might be the rarest and sought after of these. The mine was originally very small, quantity is very limited and is thus very expensive. Some examples are below:

1618922593289.png

Another famous mine is Bisbee in Arizona, which is also closed. The costs of running large mines are high, and historically (until recently) turquoise was not sold at expensive prices. The majority of turquoise mines are now closed. Most of the time turquoise is mined as a by-product of copper. Bisbee turquoise is famous for its deep, vibrant colours and 'smoky' or 'misty' matrix.

1618923204464.png

That's a beautiful cabochon by the way Dwiz.

deepdiver93

Reaction score
Hi all, is there much difference in quality from the various Japanese Native American inspired silver makers such as Goro's, First Arrows, Larry Smith, etc.? I am willing to spending ~1000-1500$ and want to make sure I am getting the best for the money. Goro's is of course harder to get stateside and more pricey.

Specifically, I am interested in a multi-feather silver necklace.

dwiz

Reaction score
I think there are two schools of thought; those who like turquoise with a lot of matrix (host rock veining) and those who prefer a clear consistent colour.

Sleeping Beauty turquoise is very famous, and was commonly used in Tiffany's jewellery for a long time, although I'm not sure about now since the mine has been closed for several years. The other turquoise I can think of which is known for clear, consistent colours is Persian; however a lot has been mined and very few high-quality stones are produced these days.

There are also collectors who favour turquoise with interesting matrix patterns, and flecks of iron pyrite (fools gold). The most expensive turquoise in the world is of this variety. Lander Blue might be the rarest and sought after of these. The mine was originally very small, quantity is very limited and is thus very expensive. Some examples are below:

View attachment 1596606

Another famous mine is Bisbee in Arizona, which is also closed. The costs of running large mines are high, and historically (until recently) turquoise was not sold at expensive prices. The majority of turquoise mines are now closed. Most of the time turquoise is mined as a by-product of copper. Bisbee turquoise is famous for its deep, vibrant colours and 'smoky' or 'misty' matrix.

View attachment 1596612

That's a beautiful cabochon by the way Dwiz.

Just seeing this now, well said! Brisbee is gorgeous and very hard to come by, I think I'm partial to the Sleeping Beauty because of it's Tiffany's connection, and the stigma it carries in the fine jewelry world because of that. Most clients I've had will be able to recognize Sleeping Beauty but not Brisbee, which is interesting.

That pyrite matrix stuff is super rad, haven't seen examples like that before!

Also, thank you! Hoping someone will want to make a big old signet with it.

hayzum

Reaction score
I did not notice this thread before, probably because I'm not as active here as I once was. Interesting and quality jewelry for men is difficult to come across, thanks to Brad-T for starting this thread and I enjoyed reading the posts here. As with shoes, I make my own jewelry however my interest in medieval armor and chainmail makes it challenging to make my own and I'm always on the lookout for jewelry inspired by similar themes.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-23 at 11.34.46.jpeg

close up
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-23 at 12.04.07.jpeg

uno de 50
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-23 at 12.05.05.jpeg

Does anyone here collect vintage keys?

YoungM

Reaction score
I did not notice this thread before, probably because I'm not as active here as I once was. Interesting and quality jewelry for men is difficult to come across, thanks to Brad-T for starting this thread and I enjoyed reading the posts here. As with shoes, I make my own jewelry however my interest in medieval armor and chainmail makes it challenging to make my own and I'm always on the lookout for jewelry inspired by similar themes.

View attachment 1614145

close up
View attachment 1614151

uno de 50
View attachment 1614152

Does anyone here collect vintage keys?

I don't have any great leads on jewelry, but I do love that Studio Job piece you're standing next to - love their work!

hayzum

Reaction score
I don't have any great leads on jewelry, but I do love that Studio Job piece you're standing next to - love their work!

It was a spectacular piece, the detail on it was phenomenal.

Azza Fahmy does exquisite work, maybe less known in the US however she has been designing jewelry for 50 years.

crsg0900700012z_image_big.png crss02003w45315cp_image_big.png

John Hardy does great chunky jewelry inspired by Balinese design

RM90623_Top.jpeg

Mana Besharati's work is inspired by Persian calligraphy.

Lilly Cube Ring

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads