• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Here's a curb chain #6 on my ~6.75" wrist, links are the same size as a Model 10AAA. Part of me wants to add a rondel to the clasp.
tempImageNAfRZu.png

takashi78

Reaction score
What's the difference between the curb chain and the model-10? Besides the clasp.

Question i have after seeing some of GA insta vids, seems they have a cast/mold and then the pour the silver into it to make the chains correct?
But when its done....the mold still sits inside?
Does this mean its not "100%" silver per say?

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
What's the difference between the curb chain and the model-10? Besides the clasp.

Question i have after seeing some of GA insta vids, seems they have a cast/mold and then the pour the silver into it to make the chains correct?
But when its done....the mold still sits inside?
Does this mean its not "100%" silver per say?
To answer your first question the main difference is the clasp, but the biggest curb chain is equivalent only to the smallest model 10, so if you want any bigger you have to go for a model 10.
For the second question, the wax molds are put into a ‘plaster canister’ thing, and the wax is melted out once the plaster hardens. The silver is then poured into the plaster where the wax used to be.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying.
I now wonder....are the links hollow inside?
No, they are solid. It is actually a bit of a technical feat to get a seamless silver shell. The chains are pretty heavy. Just for context, the size C I think was somewhere close to 200 g for a 7.25" wrist. The thing was hhhhheavy. By way of comparison, a TGM Hermes chaine d'Ancre bracelet, which is my heaviest bracelet, is 125 g, and my GM is 74 g.

BB_Adept

Reaction score
Still unsure if I should get a frisco chain for my pendant. I asked if it could be custom made in 22 inch and that's possible. I do like my pendant, is the frisco chain as well made as other good art stuff? What I like about the pendant is the way it is made. Cannot really describe it.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a measuring tape and was surprised to see my wrist is 7". I guess that says a lot about how I perceive myself haha. Starting to think now maybe a 10A might be more right for me. Still on the fence and waiting to see what the bonus looks like this year lol.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Still unsure if I should get a frisco chain for my pendant. I asked if it could be custom made in 22 inch and that's possible. I do like my pendant, is the frisco chain as well made as other good art stuff? What I like about the pendant is the way it is made. Cannot really describe it.
I had a Frisco which I liked but it did not feel as “worth it” as my other GA purchases. It wasn’t as sturdy but I don’t think a chain of that size could be.

karmaguy

Reaction score
i'm still on the fence about good art AAA/AA bracelet or hermes chain d'ancre...does anyone other than LaGuy have experience with the chain d'ancre?

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a measuring tape and was surprised to see my wrist is 7". I guess that says a lot about how I perceive myself haha. Starting to think now maybe a 10A might be more right for me. Still on the fence and waiting to see what the bonus looks like this year lol.

wrist size is 6-7.5” on avg men that aren’t carrying lots of body fat so you are in the normal range! (Also the smaller your wrist the bigger your arms will look if you get into lifting)
personally I wouldn’t get anything larger than an A no matter what wrist size. At that point it’s really bang in your face and not something you can easily wear with everything.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm still on the fence about good art AAA/AA bracelet or hermes chain d'ancre...does anyone other than LaGuy have experience with the chain d'ancre?
Probably not, but personally I don’t like how big of a clasp/the look of the clasp of the Hermès . They’re both great bracelets however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads