• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Any idea why jewelery is usually excluded from / never go on sale? Low margin business or high demand? Mixture of both?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any idea why jewelery is usually excluded from / never go on sale? Low margin business or high demand? Mixture of both?

Non-seasonal items are often left out of promotions. Candles, home supplies, perfumes, etc.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Any affordable brand options? As much as I would love to get myself some good art, I'm too afraid of losing it. Anything from $80-200 for rings

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any affordable brand options? As much as I would love to get myself some good art, I'm too afraid of losing it. Anything from $80-200 for rings

This is one of my favorite pieces:

Self Edge has another version here:

I also like Reliquary's jewelry selection, but it's easier to shop for stuff in their store. Lots of stuff here tends to be a hodgepodge of vintage.

shortlefty

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite pieces:

Self Edge has another version here:

I also like Reliquary's jewelry selection, but it's easier to shop for stuff in their store. Lots of stuff here tends to be a hodgepodge of vintage.

Will consider the outward one heavily, appreciate the recommendation. Anyone have experience with maple or pearl before swine

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will consider the outward one heavily, appreciate the recommendation. Anyone have experience with maple or pearl before swine

I bought some stackable rings a while ago from Chin Teo and Pearls Before Swine. The PBS stuff seemed nice, although I ended up keeping the ones from Chin Teo and returning the PBS. Just liked the CT design better.

Maple's designs strike me as kinda corny.

shortlefty

Reaction score
I bought some stackable rings a while ago from Chin Teo and Pearls Before Swine. The PBS stuff seemed nice, although I ended up keeping the ones from Chin Teo and returning the PBS. Just liked the CT design better.

Maple's designs strike me as kinda corny.

Asked this before but how do you determine quality in jewelery?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

On a basic level, I think things are generally worth more when they're made from precious metals. So solid gold is more expensive than gold plated. Some things are also joined together better, depending on the design.

But even that's not straightforward. Early 20th-century costume jewelry was considered junk in its day. It's essentially made from plastic. Now bakelite jewelry can be expensive and it's often considered chic. Some Bakelite jewelry exceeds the cost of silver jewelry.

I'm a big believer in not getting hung up on quality and just focus on developing a sense of personal taste. You're not buying a slab raw metal, anyway. Think of jewelry like art. It wouldn't make sense to think of paintings or music in terms of quality, you just find stuff that resonates with you.

shortlefty

Reaction score
On a basic level, I think things are generally worth more when they're made from precious metals. So solid gold is more expensive than gold plated.

But even that's not straightforward. Early 20th century costume jewelry was considered junk in its day. It's essentially made from plastic. Now bakelite jewelry can be expensive and it's often considered chic. Some Bakelite jewelry exceeds the cost of silver jewelry.

I'm a big believer in not getting hung up on quality and just focus on developing a sense of personal taste. You're not buying a slab raw metal, anyway. Think of jewelry like art. It wouldn't make sense to think of paintings or music in terms of quality, you just find stuff that resonates with you.

Huh.. thinking about it this way may allow me to justify a higher price tag. I always thought about jewelery and clothing with the same mindset and that there is a point of diminishing return so never considered higher than $200. I always loved the design of chrome hearts, good art, and Yohji stuff... thanks for your insight

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still a bit undecided about this one. Wanted a pinkie ring to wear with CM outfits and kind of liked this one... Nothing fancy, but the right size and something a bit different. Thoughts?
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe the rating on the precious metals is enforced, i.e. 24 karat gold is 99.9% gold so the quality of the metal should be fairly standard. After a certain price point though you are paying for design, marketing, uniqueness, etc.

With that said however not all manufacturing techniques are the same. Sometimes when joining the metal in say a Cuban link bracelet or something there are different ways it can be done. Some are better (sturdier) and more expensive than others. I think Fok touched on this earlier in this thread.

For jewelry that fits in your price range someone had posted this on the forum before. I've never bought anything from them but it looks solid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads