• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off on a tangent but this reminds me of how Kapital uses the Virgin Mary. Some religious people don't mind it on clothing but others find it disrespectful. I like some of the designs but never got anything for that reason. The current season has her holding a kookie in her hands (one of their themes).

Given the size of the design it's also a hell of a lot more noticeable than jewelry. I ran into a guy wearing the fleece damask one at the mall for the Uniqlo x Marni drop, only time I've ever seen someone wearing it.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the one hand, I agree the brand has thoroughly established the cross as a commercial symbol outside of purely religious meaning. However, I also think there is just no way getting around the fact the cross is fundamentally a Christian thing. For me, then, it would come down to how it is worn. If combined with many other of CH’s motifs (the dagger, fluer de lis, heart, dice, etc.), I would be less likely to infer any religious significance.

Moreover, while the Starks have said they are not very religious and the cross is just an aesthetic motif for them, they are obviously also clearly aware that customers wrestle with the inescapable religious significance. Why else would they sell pieces with Star of David and Crescent and Star motifs as alternatives?

Another way to think about it: would Richard Stark have chosen the cross as a core motif for CH if it wasn’t already a Christian religious symbol? I don’t think so. It’s not like he just happened to like the shape.
I think that it's context dependent. Around here, I would probably not, since it's worn mostly by extreme right white Christian nationalists, and I would not want to be associated with them. But somewhere else, maybe. As part of a swaggy stack? Maybe?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would be strange to wear such a recognizable religious symbol if you didn't have at least some small connection with the faith. I can admire the craftsmanship but would feel very self-conscious wearing it, even moreso than wearing someone like a stranger's dog tags.

It wouldn't occur to me to associate it with radical Christian nationalists. Obviously they probably wear crossess but it isn't what I think of when i see someone wearing a cross.

My experimentation with jewelry is fizzling out. I got some a very nice beaded bracelet and a braided leather bracelet, both in grey (my favorite color/non-color) for a good price and wore them for a while but they just don't feel like me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would be strange to wear such a recognizable religious symbol if you didn't have at least some small connection with the faith. I can admire the craftsmanship but would feel very self-conscious wearing it, even moreso than wearing someone like a stranger's dog tags.

It wouldn't occur to me to associate it with radical Christian nationalists. Obviously they probably wear crossess but it isn't what I think of when i see someone wearing a cross.

My experimentation with jewelry is fizzling out. I got some a very nice beaded bracelet and a braided leather bracelet, both in grey (my favorite color/non-color) for a good price and wore them for a while but they just don't feel like me.
It’s context dependent, like I said. Put it this way - parts of Idaho are ground zero for some radical churches, some of which describe women as “helpmeets” and propose that the 19th Amendment is not needed in an ideal world. I’m personally not keen to be associated with that.

In LA, the Latino inspired GoodArt “Jimmy” cross or even Spanish cross don’t have the same vibe.

As for your personal preferences, you gotta figure out what works for you.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @LA Guy, I'd view a cross as context specific. On a dude like his Armenian example a few pages back, I wouldn't give it a second thought. A simple gold cross on an otherwise unremarkable white guy here in Texas? Yeah, I'm going to expect him to be Christian, probably evangelical, and I'm going to be making a lot of other judgements about him as well. On a Latino here in Texas? Not so much; it's just more culturally pervasive and less overtly religious.

I dunno- maybe this all says more about me than the hypothetical cross wearing guy.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who are into Good Art, am I missing something with the model 10? I went to Nordstrom to try it on and thought it was just ok. Actually like the B&T better. Is the price difference between the two just due to clasp?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who are into Good Art, am I missing something with the model 10? I went to Nordstrom to try it on and thought it was just ok. Actually like the B&T better. Is the price difference between the two just due to clasp?
It's iconic and put them on the map, but I like some of their other designs more, and exchanged mine for something for my wife.

The GoodFight collaborations are great. My wife wears this:

and I carry this:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I have no problem with aesthetically appropriating other cultures symbols , it's healthy cultural exchange .

if it happens to subvert negative associations so much the better

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's iconic and put them on the map, but I like some of their other designs more, and exchanged mine for something for my wife.

The GoodFight collaborations are great. My wife wears this:

and I carry this:

That matchbook cover looks awesome

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I have no problem with aesthetically appropriating other cultures symbols , it's healthy cultural exchange .

if it happens to subvert negative associations so much the better
I'm generally of the same mind - the modern Cheong Sam is a slightly westernized version of a dressed based on the more traditional A-line dress made of the same silks, and really arose in the interactions between westerners and the Chinese.

I am more wary of religious symbols though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at chains. Some names that have come up are Daniel in Miami, and Good Art in LA. Is there a reason why Good Art is ten times the price? They’re both hand made, made in America.

Daniel

Good Art

shortlefty

Reaction score
Looking at chains. Some names that have come up are Daniel in Miami, and Good Art in LA. Is there a reason why Good Art is ten times the price? They’re both hand made, made in America.

Daniel

Good Art
Good art has some good videos on YouTube that will sell you on the product. Essentially everything is done in-house which ensures quality compared to a lot of other places where they outsource certain procedures.

I'm sure your also probably paying some premium for the name and design.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Daniel

Good Art

Um, the one that is 10x the price has white diamonds in a house made proprietary clasp?

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doral9497