• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Jerkstore

Reaction score
What's you guys' take on a versatile pair of black footwear? I've considered Wheel Robe ptbs and moc toe shoes as well as Grant Stone chelseas (which seem just slightly too sleek). I'd wear it with both dressy/business casual/ivy fits and more workwear fits too.
I keep coming back to the Alden blucher in black shell cordovan for the same void. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's you guys' take on a versatile pair of black footwear? I've considered Wheel Robe ptbs and moc toe shoes as well as Grant Stone chelseas (which seem just slightly too sleek). I'd wear it with both dressy/business casual/ivy fits and more workwear fits too.
I tend to go with a side zip, something like an RDT Gleaner that can tote the line. I'm not sure what your typical dressy/business casual look is, as that concept is very broad and interpreted many ways now.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I’ve always been a sneaker guy but i’m currently tossing between the few Paraboots a local stockist here recently brought in; they seem like a good foil for a lot of the very American styles that predominate my wardrobe. The Wheel Robes are sleek and so are the John Lofgren USN low quarter shoes as well but they’re just a little unnecessary imo when Alden exists and seems a little less ‘bulbous’ and more refined. I’ve had some Wolverine 1000 miles for almost a decade now but shy away from them sometimes as i absolutely loathe that whole “work boots, jeans, untucked workshirt or flannel” look.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always been a sneaker guy but i’m currently tossing between the few Paraboots a local stockist here recently brought in; they seem like a good foil for a lot of the very American styles that predominate my wardrobe. The Wheel Robes are sleek and so are the John Lofgren USN low quarter shoes as well but they’re just a little unnecessary imo when Alden exists and seems a little less ‘bulbous’ and more refined. I’ve had some Wolverine 1000 miles for almost a decade now but shy away from them sometimes as i absolutely loathe that whole “work boots, jeans, untucked workshirt or flannel” look.
You think the Paraboots work in a dressy/business casual setting though? I find them to be too chunky most of the time.

jmiller123

Reaction score
I wear a pair of black RM Williams Gardeners almost everyday. Definitely lean more towards the casual side of the spectrum but I find them pretty versatile and have no problem wearing them with sweaters, button downs, etc. Not sure they would work for a business office setting though

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say some sort of ptb (alden, or a repro service shoe) a penny loafer of some kind also fits the bill imo. I'd say the same of a plain toe boot or a cap-toe as well as long as the heel isn't overly large like a logger.

Here's what I have currently.. and only really looking to add more black footwear in the near future as I'm finding it just goes with everything and simplifies outfits for me.

IMG_4339.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When it's cold, I wear the Sanders Worcester plain toe derby. Its slightly wider width is perfect when wearing thicker socks.

Getting a black pair of derbies for warmer months has always been on the backburner, because my summer wardrobe doesn't usually warrant it. (I usually wear lighter colours when it's warm.) I tend to gravitate towards sneakers during the spring/summer (black or otherwise).

I've wanted to try a pair of Wheelrobes for years, but they're not very accessible outside of Japan and I hate playing the sizing roulette game for welted footwear.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
When it's cold, I wear the Sanders Worcester plain toe derby. Its slightly wider width is perfect when wearing thicker socks.

Getting a black pair of derbies for warmer months has always been on the backburner, because my summer wardrobe doesn't usually warrant it. (I usually wear lighter colours when it's warm.) I tend to gravitate towards sneakers during the spring/summer (black or otherwise).

I've wanted to try a pair of Wheelrobes for years, but they're not very accessible outside of Japan and I hate playing the sizing roulette game for welted footwear.

I ordered a pair of wheel robe ptbs from their website a while ago and they're very responsible via email. Hinoya also carries some of their models.

In their E-width they recommend a full size down from brannock which I find is a great fit ( though I do wear thick socks all the time). Their D-width is a half size down but haven't gotten a pair of those yet.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of wheel robe ptbs from their website a while ago and they're very responsible via email. Hinoya also carries some of their models.

In their E-width they recommend a full size down from brannock which I find is a great fit ( though I do wear thick socks all the time). Their D-width is a half size down but haven't gotten a pair of those yet.

That's good to know regarding Wheelrobe's responsiveness. I was also surprised to learn that Hinoya offers a seven day window to start a return process upon receiving an order in the mail.

Nowadays, I avoid buying clothes/shoes from brands that I haven't figured out my sizing in whenever possible (return shipping costs can add up!), but now I can at least consider it for Wheelrobe if I change my mind. Still hoping for a North American retailer carrying them or a trip to Japan to try them in person one day, though!

RahnDail

Reaction score
Hey all, I plan on buying a secondhand Buzz Rickson x William Gibson MA-1 bomber jacket. One particular listing I see shows a white scuff on the front of the jacket. Curious if anyone has experience buffing out scuffs on nylon on these types of jackets, and if it's worth haggling on price because of the blemish? Thank you!

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to note for the repro bros, I'm in Japan for a while leaving stuff for my move there in September so I'll be coming back with empty luggage to Chicago. If anyone wants me to proxy something let it be known. I'll ship inside the US and I'll charge a small fee.

Not sure if this goes against the rules since this will be a one off thing and I get to shop vicariously! DM if y'all interested.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to note for the repro bros, I'm in Japan for a while leaving stuff for my move there in September so I'll be coming back with empty luggage to Chicago. If anyone wants me to proxy something let it be known. I'll ship inside the US and I'll charge a small fee.

Not sure if this goes against the rules since this will be a one off thing and I get to shop vicariously! DM if y'all interested.

Order me a PeachFuzz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics