• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I've only flown to Japan like 5 time total. Since I lived there two periods for a relatively long time, I never flew too far away and family kinda assumed I wouldn't come around often haha.

My trick has been to skip Japanese airlines, I take Korean ones at night. My flights were always at midnight and often empty. I only flew out during COVID once I moved away and that was everyone with their own row. I would get on an Asiana flight at midnight, they would serve bibimbap at like 1 AM, me and my wife would get a whole row and we would sleep for like 6-7 hours. Watch the newest movies for like 3-4 hours and bam we were an Incheon.

Then we would take the longest layover which was one day. Galavant in Korea than fly to KIX a day and a half later.
Such a win!

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I've only flown to Japan like 5 time total. Since I lived there two periods for a relatively long time, I never flew too far away and family kinda assumed I wouldn't come around often haha.

My trick has been to skip Japanese airlines, I take Korean ones at night. My flights were always at midnight and often empty. I only flew out during COVID once I moved away and that was everyone with their own row. I would get on an Asiana flight at midnight, they would serve bibimbap at like 1 AM, me and my wife would get a whole row and we would sleep for like 6-7 hours. Watch the newest movies for like 3-4 hours and bam we were an Incheon.

Then we would take the longest layover which was one day. Galavant in Korea than fly to KIX a day and a half later.
This actually sounds pretty awesome.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This actually sounds pretty awesome.

It was pretty sick to be honest. Japanese airlines have meh food, always packed, and expensive. Korean airlines are the right balance of price and amenities and Incheon is a great lay over.

Although at the time I mostly flew to Chicago. LA has way more cheap direct flight options so who knows how I'll go.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was pretty sick to be honest. Japanese airlines have meh food, always packed, and expensive. Korean airlines are the right balance of price and amenities and Incheon is a great lay over.

Although at the time I mostly flew to Chicago. LA has way more cheap direct flight options so who knows how I'll go.
Only reason I've done direct is I just can't imagine doing layovers for an extended period of time which makes the whole journey there even longer. That does sound good though going through a Korean airline. If I had a bit more vacation time that might make more sense overall.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Thoughts on this Steveson Overall Co. denim jacket? The shoulders look a bit wide but the body and sleeve length + chest measurements in medium looks perfect for me.

Link

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Korean food ain't all kimchi. You could always eat beef and fried chicken. Get super wasted and check out the sick vintage and menswear shops. Also the plane offers "American" options too when coming from the states

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Korean food ain't all kimchi. You could always eat beef and fried chicken. Get super wasted and check out the sick vintage and menswear shops. Also the plane offers "American" options too when coming from the states
It's not that I can't find other options. Its mere presence in the same room forces me to leave or dry heave. Thus, an airplane not be ideal.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've discovered searching vintage sport coats on eBay. Not Rakuten. Not Yahoo Japan. Just eBay. It's a whole treasure trove of old ass fits for 1/10th the cost of repro.
Anything particular notable? How vintage? I love tailoring from the 30/40’s but would fear most of it would be too far gone at this point

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything particular notable? How vintage? I love tailoring from the 30/40’s but would fear most of it would be too far gone at this point

So far it's a lot of 80s and 90s, with some 60s and 70s and a little 50s. That said, I would look at Etsy - it seems to have some hep-cat rockabilly collectors on there. Some of them provide really good detail.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Letting go of a few really nice repro pieces. DM me if you're interested!

Bryceland's, size 42
502256398_16b8b0ff-f1c3-462e-b389-55ea81447821.jpg

Warehouse 3001, size 42
502253423_ac3457f7-4659-4bfb-b3a8-c7905e62cb7a.jpg

Stevenson Overall, size XL
502257915_124f22fd-e32f-4a83-93e2-8e93ef1257f8.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads