• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry this got off to a rough start but to be honest I think a conversation about what folks here think constitutes a good workwear fit would be fun and informative. Foo gonna' Foo
Just for the sake of discussion, this is perhaps tricky to answer as theres various genres of vintage/workwear as much as theres different genres of streetwear or even perhaps CM clothing. Some people are only into directional military styles, some more casual wear or a mixture of both. I'd also factor in to the argument of whats considered vintage/repro at this point? would 60-70's trad/ivy be grouped into that?

Using only myself as an example, I'm only interested in 30-50's style stuff. I like some military things, but the majority of my collection is mostly casual wear. I'd love to have vintage styled suits/tailoring, but my lifestyle is such that they wouldn't see much if any use. That said, IMO these are nice fits of the styles I like even if I may not have a similar body type.
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life is too short. There are people who like to hear things directly and plainly, whether they agree or not, and benefit from discourse. Then there are those only able to hear what validates their pre-conceived notions without having an emotional reaction. I don’t care to waste time baby-talking the latter.

1656649914120.jpeg

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is up my fellow nerds seems like a good time to poast my new Freewheelers 1947 Type I (that I sized up on for extra boxy fit). Been soaked only no machine wash so might shrink a tiny bit more.

Accidental moody stare retrospectively dedicated to Foo. Although to be fair doesn't he own some Mccoy's western shirts? And at least in some corners of the internet that are interested in Repro the entire outfit and proportions do occasionally seem incidental compared to specific details like stitching or zippers or whatever (thinking of Fedora Lounge leather jacket guys). I'm not sure we're really like that in this thread. I still seem to do the mixed silhouette the other way around with this stuff quite often (ie. looser top, more fitted bottom-half albeit not exactly slim cut). I think both ways can look good though.

SG100769.JPG
SG100762.JPG

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just for the sake of discussion, this is perhaps tricky to answer as theres various genres of vintage/workwear as much as theres different genres of streetwear or even perhaps CM clothing. Some people are only into directional military styles, some more casual wear or a mixture of both. I'd also factor in to the argument of whats considered vintage/repro at this point? would 60-70's trad/ivy be grouped into that?

Using only myself as an example, I'm only interested in 30-50's style stuff. I like some military things, but the majority of my collection is mostly casual wear. I'd love to have vintage styled suits/tailoring, but my lifestyle is such that they wouldn't see much if any use. That said, IMO these are nice fits of the styles I like even if I may not have a similar body type.
View attachment 1808195 View attachment 1808196
View attachment 1808194

But I don't think these clothes look good even on the people modeling them! The best looking examples here are--no surprise--where the guy is really thin. Look at that last pic. This guy is more of a "normal" build by American/Western standards and more of a stocky build by Asian standards. The wide-legged pants make him look much stockier than he needs to. There is no implied taper from his shoulder/chests down to his feet. Buttoning the shirt collar all the way up doesn't help, but that's a styling issue and not related to the clothes.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is up my fellow nerds seems like a good time to poast my new Freewheelers 1947 Type I (that I sized up on for extra boxy fit). Been soaked only no machine wash so might shrink a tiny bit more.

Accidental moody stare retrospectively dedicated to Foo. Although to be fair doesn't he own some Mccoy's western shirts? And at least in some corners of the internet that are interested in Repro the entire outfit and proportions do occasionally seem incidental compared to specific details like stitching or zippers or whatever (thinking of Fedora Lounge leather jacket guys). I'm not sure we're really like that in this thread. I still seem to do the mixed silhouette the other way around with this stuff quite often (ie. looser top, more fitted bottom-half albeit not exactly slim cut). I think both ways can look good though.

View attachment 1808308 View attachment 1808309

This jacket isn't something I'd personally pick for myself, but it fits you quite well. But again, you appear to be quite thin. And the fit of the pants make or break this. To balance, the volume up top demands less volume below.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s it. I’m a convert. No more workwear/amekaji casualwear for me. I’m strictly a CM guy from now on.

View attachment 1808227

Not sure what your point is, but the above is a mediocre-at-best execution of CM and you still look better than what I've seen of your Japanese repro/workwear outfits.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe we can derive the origin of :foo2:'s screed from his Real McCoy's western shirt having busted after a couple wears.

I love my western shirts. I’m not questioning the merit of individual reproduction pieces, but more so the overall approach and aesthetic.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So @whorishconsumer @Mghart @jmiller123 what’s your footwear of choice this summer?

btw because the parasite wont leave you can just hit « ignore » and it’s like he was never here!
Once it gets really hot I’ll default to sneakers. Still mostly Timeworn haha 😂 I’ll still wear boots too, but also recently got a pair of shell lhs.
79BDAB98-5AC3-4919-A77E-DC5DAD601C85.jpeg
64D2FEF1-9D94-477A-830C-768A9AB9B009.jpeg

Reactions: XWT

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to Alden, do we consider them part of the repro fashion look because they have such a long history? I know there are recent companies from japan that are taking Alden vibes and making them for the JP market like Wheelrobe. I personally love my Alden saddles and I'm thinking of some V-tip's in the future. I don't dress super repro or Ivy but I feel like it fits.

Those vintage basketball shoes kinda remind me that I still want some Clinch boxing sneakers some day in the future when I move back to JP.

Reactions: XWT

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads