• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What kind of fits look good is pretty subjective, as this pic indicates

View attachment 1807988
My boy out here in goth sausage casings
And Edward Green boots!

Yeah, now imagine if I wore chunky, loose pants with a tight-shouldered top.

We each have to work with what we have—and I am no Greek god, to put it mildly. Assuming one wants to look better in a traditionally masculine sort of way, that means emphasizing broader shoulders, a narrower waist, and longer legs. There are a zillion different ways to accomplish this, regardless of genre.

Now, fair enough: one may not care about looking traditionally masculine. But it’s hard to square that with wearing traditional men’s workwear.

Last edited:

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After mensplaining, comes stylesplaining where a clueless tool barges into a super niche thread to tell us our tiny jackets and big pants are bad while their big jackets and tiny pants are good.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sincerely think some extra volume (within reason) would suit you better and probably gets you closer to that so dear traditional masculine look.

Then again, I never could square your SWD uniform of choice with your CM proclivities, I mean you obviously have a solid understanding of silhouette, proportions and details but it all seems to have gone out of the window the moment you crossed over.

Last edited:

jmiller123

Reaction score

We each have to work with what we have—and I am no Greek god, to put it mildly. Assuming one wants to look better in a traditionally masculine sort of way, that means emphasizing broader shoulders, a narrower waist, and longer legs. There are a zillion different ways to accomplish this, regardless of genre.

Now, fair enough: one may not care about looking traditionally masculine. But it’s hard to square that with wearing traditional men’s workwear.
If you're looking to portray yourself as more masculine- I don't think the skinny jeans are helping. If you wore pants that had a straight or slim straight fit that would help balance out your silhouette.

At the end of the day this is all preference. Plenty of people who are into streetwear are wearing clothes that are intentionally oversized and don't do anything to flatter their physique. So what? People wear clothes simply because they enjoy them for historical, comfort, material reasons, etc. You don't have to like repro style (I don't like all of it either) but if you came here in good faith, there are better ways to go about starting a conversation than insinuating the people who post here look like ****.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just gtfo.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sincerely think some extra volume (within reason) would suit you better and probably gets you closer to that so dear traditional masculine look.

Then again, I never could square your SWD uniform of choice with your CM proclivities, I mean you obviously have a solid understanding of silhouette, proportions and details but it all seems to have gone out of the window the moment you crossed over.

Mind explaining why you think this would work? I don’t see how bigger looking legs would make me look better.

If you're looking to portray yourself as more masculine- I don't think the skinny jeans are helping. If you wore pants that had a straight or slim straight fit that would help balance out your silhouette.

At the end of the day this is all preference. Plenty of people who are into streetwear are wearing clothes that are intentionally oversized and don't do anything to flatter their physique. So what? People wear clothes simply because they enjoy them for historical, comfort, material reasons, etc. You don't have to like repro style (I don't like all of it either) but if you came here in good faith, there are better ways to go about starting a conversation than insinuating the people who post here look like ****.

First of all, I did not say Japanese workwear is exclusively at fault when it comes to bad looking fits. It happens in every genre. However, it does seem quite evident that love for production details and historical authenticity take such strong precedence here that the goal of “looking good” stands a much greater risk of being warped or lost completely.

Also, there is nothing inherently unflattering about “oversized” clothing or playing around with volume. What is implied and expressed by the aggregate is what matters. The issue with many fits that come out of Japanese workwear is that the aggregate doesn’t work.

Just gtfo.

Man, don’t be so ******* sensitive and fragile. If you need to live in a bubble of positive reinforcement to be happy…

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, don’t be so ******* sensitive and fragile. If you need to live in a bubble of positive reinforcement to be happy…

lol just gtfo. And I mean that on the aggregate. 😂

Reactions: XWT

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lol just gtfo. And I mean that on the aggregate. 😂

Yeah, says everything doesn’t it? For all the negative comments I attract, I’ve never demanded someone simply exit the conversation.

The irony is that you actually look pretty good in your fits. But that is because you are rail thin! You can get away with things that an average-build American cannot. Added volume works on you where it wouldn’t on others because it is still evident that you are very slim.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
I am not sure it's coincidence all this hullabaloo was posted right after my fit pics, but I thought those TRM shorts are pretty innocuous.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, says everything doesn’t it? For all the negative comments I attract, I’ve never demanded someone simply exit the conversation.

The irony is that you actually look pretty good in your fits. But that is because you are rail thin! You can get away with things that an average-build American cannot. Added volume works on you where it wouldn’t on others because it is still evident that you are very slim.

Seriously though, and all my dumb comments aside, I just don't understand why you go into a thread you never participated in before and take a huge dump on people who obviously enjoy themselves and think they look good? What's the thought process behind this? Why not tread the subject a bit more lightly? Or, if you feel you have to be so blunt about it, why don't you ask these questions in a general thread like RFT and not risk to offend as many people? Or is the offensiveness in itself the actual goal? Again, I just don't get it...

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not sure it's coincidence all this hullabaloo was posted right after my fit pics, but I thought those TRM shorts are pretty innocuous.

Coincidence—not targeting you or anyone in particular. No comment on the shorts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously though, and all my dumb comments aside. I just don't get why you come into a thread you never participated in before and take a huge dump on people who obviously enjoy themselves and think they look good? What's the thought process behind this? Why don't tread the subject a bit more lightly? Or, if you have to be so blunt about it, why don't ask these questions in a general thread like RFT and so you don't offend as many people? Or is the offensiveness a means in itself? Again, I just don't get it...

Life is too short. There are people who like to hear things directly and plainly, whether they agree or not, and benefit from discourse. Then there are those only able to hear what validates their pre-conceived notions without having an emotional reaction. I don’t care to waste time baby-talking the latter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads