• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buyee just blacklisted me for opening PayPal claims against them (they sent me records that were broken in half). They’re telling me I can pay them in order to avoid blacklisting.

Long hair don't care. I got too much existential **** to contend with right now.
That’s pretty lame, they’ve been good till now?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty lame, they’ve been good till now?

Eh. It’s loss prevention, with a smack of corporate vengeance.

They’ve been good in the sense that if you pay them fees, they perform a service. They’ve been not so good in that if they send you a broken record they will do nothing to remedy unless you paid their inspection fee in advance. You could go either way with this, but I would argue that the breakage occurred prior to them wrapping it in bubble wrap. At the very least the protective packaging I paid them for did nothing.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh. It’s loss prevention, with a smack of corporate vengeance.

They’ve been good in the sense that if you pay them fees, they perform a service. They’ve been not so good in that if they send you a broken record they will do nothing to remedy unless you paid their inspection fee in advance. You could go either way with this, but I would argue that the breakage occurred prior to them wrapping it in bubble wrap. At the very least the protective packaging I paid them for did nothing.
So if you pay 'extra' they'll take a look at it for you and flag any issues? Forgive my ignorance, never purchased through them.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if you pay 'extra' they'll take a look at it for you and flag any issues? Forgive my ignorance, never purchased through them.

Right. There are two legs to the journey of any package proxied by them – from the seller to their Warehouse and from them to you. If you a pay a nominal fee (~$5) they will "inspect" the package that arrives at their warehouse from the seller, thus establishing a baseline for fault. You can also pay them to take a photo of the received package prior to them sending to you.

And then there are the package protection fees, for taking the item out of the package in which it arrived from the seller, wrapping it in bubble wrap and placing in a new box to ship to you.

They sit on the package for free, though.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"They sit on the package for free, though."
#bestthingsinlyfeetcetera

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t speak to Buyee as I’ve never used them, but I’ve ordered and proxied a good amount via zen market over the years and never had any issues fwiw.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never used either, but I recommend you guys find a way to make a family member in Japan so you can just send direct to them, and they'll ship it out to you when they feel like it. It's free and slow buyee, but the family member obtaining is the tough part.

On another note, out of curiosity I did ask Brian from role club about the 11th anniversary boots out of curiosity. It's far too luxurious for probably any of us here. Much more than an MTO Clinch still. Although the wait time is not very long, June 2022 to be exact. So @Mghart can rest assured that he may indeed still be waiting for his boots forever.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an average height guy with unusually short legs, I have to hem everything. I really should learn to do it myself.
You and I seem to share a few things in common but as far as hemming your own goes it is pretty easy the main issue is material thickness. I use a vintage Singer 15-91 they are real workhorses but old machines that often need renovation. Straight stich only no buzzers or bells. Mine is a 1948 model
6A0DEEE5-973F-4F70-961E-1F72F9A0D459_1_201_a.jpeg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never used either, but I recommend you guys find a way to make a family member in Japan so you can just send direct to them, and they'll ship it out to you when they feel like it. It's free and slow buyee, but the family member obtaining is the tough part.

On another note, out of curiosity I did ask Brian from role club about the 11th anniversary boots out of curiosity. It's far too luxurious for probably any of us here. Much more than an MTO Clinch still. Although the wait time is not very long, June 2022 to be exact. So @Mghart can rest assured that he may indeed still be waiting for his boots forever.
Yeah I haven’t proxied in awhile, but most shops you can deal with directly now which is great since I’m mostly buying new stuff anyway. It certainly has helped building a relationship with a shop as it makes communicating easier being a regular customer.

As soon as I make it out to California I’ll be contacting Brian again as I have been more than patient. I think the worst part of it is that he’ll keep taking on more work/resoles, make an anniversary boot at the expense of his custom order queue which I can’t imagine is getting smaller.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wish more shops in Japan took direct orders, most of them are super nice and I'm sure with the advancement of google translate, would be able to work out most of the kinks anyway. I do like the mystique that they have from only purchasing out there. One day I'll own a house in Japan hopefully, so I can have a dedicated jawns storage.

Also re:queue, I do think Brian should just close out orders for a year to knock it down. That or not take deposits anymore, and just put people on a list that gets called up once it's their build time. Some of my favorite guitar builders do just that.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to get a custom acoustic built at some point, but yikes… not only a waitlist, but it makes buying Clinch boots seem cheap ? a guy can dream though.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You and I seem to share a few things in common but as far as hemming your own goes it is pretty easy the main issue is material thickness. I use a vintage Singer 15-91 they are real workhorses but old machines that often need renovation. Straight stich only no buzzers or bells. Mine is a 1948 model
View attachment 1731261
That is very cool!

We have a sewing machine and I checked out a few youtube videos. I could probably figure it out. Thanks for the inspiration!

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice machine.
I don't always sew, but when I do I Juki 8700-H.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score

What's the price for those?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He usually doesn't publish his pricing so part of me feels bad for saying the exact number. More than 2.5k less than 3k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads