• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was cold enough this morning to wear my N1 out for the first time this season. As much as I like it, I want a more traditional coat that would be warm, but it’s hard to find stuff that would fit this overall style I suppose. Not of lot of the Japanese brands do winter type coats outside of military styles. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

I was thinking something along the lines of Kaptain Sunshines Traveler coat would blend in nice

45r has a nice collection this season

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a nice one from them, but its definitely not a true winter coat. The wool cossack I just got similar to this isn't warm enough when the temp really starts dropping, but I love these styles of jackets the most.

I prefer the Lumper to these two for a Beach Cloth jacket but guess maybe its less your style.
I actually liked the Lumper a lot, just really pricey.. most freewheelers outerwear is I suppose. I really like the Bridgeport jacket and vest (the vest I owned at one point but sized wrong) as well.

How about this @Mghart ?

The way the pockets and piping form at the front is perhaps a bit much, but at least they attempted something original. Its nice to see beach cloth items coming out in general. I just wish the stuff that Full Count made (they make stuff under the old Browns Beach label) would run just a touch larger as a lot of it runs on the smaller side.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you want to be period-correct, you should just set your youngest on fire and hold your bone-thin frame against the warmth.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a nice one from them, but its definitely not a true winter coat. The wool cossack I just got similar to this isn't warm enough when the temp really starts dropping, but I love these styles of jackets the most.

I actually liked the Lumper a lot, just really pricey.. most freewheelers outerwear is I suppose. I really like the Bridgeport jacket and vest (the vest I owned at one point but sized wrong) as well.

The way the pockets and piping form at the front is perhaps a bit much, but at least they attempted something original. Its nice to see beach cloth items coming out in general. I just wish the stuff that Full Count made (they make stuff under the old Browns Beach label) would run just a touch larger as a lot of it runs on the smaller side.
I just got my M39 Swedish army jacket back from the tailors, this might be kind of what you’re thinking of? I got my mine (unissued, about 80 years old!) off Etsy.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda wish I had picked up one of those Lemaire owl coats when they were popular and still around. Although at that time I definitely could not afford one.

takashi78

Reaction score
Just to make things a bit confusing, I have a 40'' chest and am happy with my size 40 (washed). That was also the advice I got from Bryceland's customer service. FWIW, I like the style when it's a bit more tailored rather than oversized.

Looking at the website, i see that one can purchase the "normal" and "washed" version.
Is the washed version already pre-shrunk?
Are the sizing still the same as in the website?

What made you choose the washed version instead?

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
I can also chip in regarding the Sawtooth from Bryceland‘s. I‘m a 42/43 in shirts, 54 in most stuff (Drake‘s for example) and went with the 42 in the Sawtooth. Fits perfectly. I wash cold and it really breaks in great and becomes comfortable after some time. Didn‘t really experience shrinkage. And no need to iron.

Reactions: XWT

garigo

Reaction score
Looking at the website, i see that one can purchase the "normal" and "washed" version.
Is the washed version already pre-shrunk?
Are the sizing still the same as in the website?

What made you choose the washed version instead?
Yes, from what I understand it's washed and dried to minimize future shrinkage, so it just felt convenient to have that out of the way. However, as others have commented, there is not that much shrinking at all with this fabric.

Also, all the best pictures I've seen have this blousier appearance that comes from not tucking the shirt all the way in, rather than sizing up, if that makes sense. That makes it also more comfortable to wear as it's not as fitted in the waist.

Sawtooth_3-1_685x1024.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping this limited to a cross-link so this doesn't become the Paraboot thread, but here are some comparison notes between the Chambord and Avignon (partly for @patrick_b ):

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Real McCoy’s reissued the J-24L after all. Unclear if it’s the revised fit.

And I still havent see anyone stock the optional mouton collar for the J-24.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, Real McCoy’s reissued the J-24L after all. Unclear if it’s the revised fit.

And I still havent see anyone stock the optional mouton collar for the J-24.

Product code on that is for the old J-24L.

We do have the optional mouton collar on order...

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit of Warehouse, including a lot of Rocky Mountain collab vests for $300, the suede sherpa for $550 and this for $1k:

1639236142896.png

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
There's a lot of Real McCoy's inventory at Inazuma Heritage Festival online. Most of it's in small sizes, but the've got some XLs/36-38s in there.

https://heritageonlinefes.com/202112/ (you need to have purchased a ticket)

bunch of great stuff on here. I'd obvi have to cop this denim onesie if it were a size smaller

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 7.26.52 AM.png

The one piece I actually kinda wanted I literally slept on which was this.

70c424da4f22c38c7447b44df8bef8f8.jpg

The 9 dollar ticket is definitely worth it if not just to noodle on shopify sites ha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads