• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry haven’t tried that brand.
If there’s enough room or a need for shrinkage I’d throw it in the dryer once, but that’s it - they shorten the life of clothing.

I feel like I read somewhere that Ethan Newton wears his personal Sawtooth twice a week and washes and dries is every wear.

espen

Reaction score
That was an old DWW post. I think sizing up and giving it one pass in the dryer might be the trick then, and subsequently hanging to dry.

garigo

Reaction score
Just to make things a bit confusing, I have a 40'' chest and am happy with my size 40 (washed). That was also the advice I got from Bryceland's customer service. FWIW, I like the style when it's a bit more tailored rather than oversized.

garigo

Reaction score
Speaking of MR PORTER, it looks like all the Real McCoy's items were pulled from the website after being put on sale, and now they're back.

asandman

Reaction score
Japan-adjacent, but you fellas are super helpful...

Anyone have any experience with the Bryceland's Sawtooth Denim shirt? I love the look, and I think I'm between a 40 and 42. I kind of want this to be a low-maintenance shirt, toss in the wash and dryer and be done, so trying to account for shrink.

Any suggestions?
Just to make things a bit confusing, I have a 40'' chest and am happy with my size 40 (washed). That was also the advice I got from Bryceland's customer service. FWIW, I like the style when it's a bit more tailored rather than oversized.

To add another datapoint, I'm about a 39-40" chest and am happy with the fit of the 40. I don't use the dryer though.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was cold enough this morning to wear my N1 out for the first time this season. As much as I like it, I want a more traditional coat that would be warm, but it’s hard to find stuff that would fit this overall style I suppose. Not of lot of the Japanese brands do winter type coats outside of military styles. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

I was thinking something along the lines of Kaptain Sunshines Traveler coat would blend in nice

Reactions: XWT

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was cold enough this morning to wear my N1 out for the first time this season. As much as I like it, I want a more traditional coat that would be warm, but it’s hard to find stuff that would fit this overall style I suppose. Not of lot of the Japanese brands do winter type coats outside of military styles. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

I was thinking something along the lines of Kaptain Sunshines Traveler coat would blend in nice

Namu Shop had the traveler coat in light camel for 25% off, and I think NMWA still have it and couple other coats for 25% off right now (may be sold out in your size).

Off the top, I think any of those oversized-style coats, balmacan or otherwise, would work. De Bonne Facture, Beams, old RL, S.E.H. Kelly, Wythe if it wasn't sold out, even ami Mattiussi (I have an old virgin wool coat from them). There's also Ten C . . .

I take it you're not going in for the Lost & Found x RMC Jeep Coat?

You might score something at that Heritage Online Festival coming up, if you get a ticket.

You could also ball out and get the RMC deerskin car coat.

Or you could ball out further and get this:

1638301601347.png

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Namu Shop had the traveler coat in light camel for 25% off, and I think NMWA still have it and couple other coats for 25% off right now (may be sold out in your size).

Off the top, I think any of those oversized-style coats, balmacan or otherwise, would work. De Bonne Facture, Beams, old RL, S.E.H. Kelly, Wythe if it wasn't sold out, even ami Mattiussi (I have an old virgin wool coat from them). There's also Ten C . . .

I take it you're not going in for the Lost & Found x RMC Jeep Coat?

You might score something at that Heritage Online Festival coming up, if you get a ticket.

You could also ball out and get the RMC deerskin car coat.

Or you could ball out further and get this:

View attachment 1712535
Yeah there’s a lot out there for sure, just have to find the right balance in terms of design. I do like coats like this from Freewheeelers, but they only make these types of things (beach cloth or otherwise) only every handful of years..
CF37D173-4687-4860-9AB0-F7DB58C9528A.jpeg
I also like RMCs Wool Raschel coat too

0B3BEFCB-9218-4FBF-996F-26B9B9B9C15C.jpeg

jmiller123

Reaction score

I'm liking these options from Knickerbocker.

AW_21_On_Model_Web_Res_Charlie_Wool_Overcoat_000.png

Charlie Overcoat

AW_20_On_Model_Hi_Res_124.png

Raglan Country Coat

AW_21_On_Model_Web_Res_Zip_Wool_Ace_Jacket_003.png

Zip Wool Ace Jacket

elongatedskull

Reaction score

Sugar Cane do a nice wool sport jacket similar to that RMC one Sugar Cane Men's Wool Melton Sports Jacket 1930s vintage style SC13670 – RODEO-JAPAN Pine-Avenue Clothes shop (rodeo-japan-pine-avenue.com)

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah there’s a lot out there for sure, just have to find the right balance in terms of design. I do like coats like this from Freewheeelers, but they only make these types of things (beach cloth or otherwise) only every handful of years..
View attachment 1712589
I also like RMCs Wool Raschel coat too

View attachment 1712591

I prefer the Lumper to these two for a Beach Cloth jacket but guess maybe its less your style.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this @Mghart ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads