• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavily considering the vest
I don’t know if this is a factor for you, but this Warehouse collab vest has horse, instead of steerhide and will be pretty limited. For me, I knew I would be kicking myself if I didn’t get this one. Warehouse is my favorite of the Osaka 5

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@XWT Here’s a pic of the Olde Homesteader sweat. This is a size 42 with 59cm P2P
View attachment 1690731
The sweatshirt is a really nice piece, but it looks a bit like it shrank in the dryer in your fit pic. IMO vintage sweatshirts should fit looser in the body too, but if you're happy with how it fits, maybe try stretching out the arms when you wash it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went by S&S today. Met a fellow stan named Stan, tried on **** and bounced like a schlub.

The mirror was slanted so not particularly kind. I’m somewhere around 220 these days, 6’3” with around a 41” chest.

New J-24 (2021 cut), Size 44

I don’t like this one. On every model I’ve seen but one it creates a round silhouette from the front.

7AD1B64A-DAAB-467F-BEE5-A4B2421525D4.jpeg
0F3F1789-2D2B-4A40-8A11-523F71630B7B.jpeg
CA0B5BC8-F2A8-4434-AE97-5DB49D92D7C5.jpeg
EDD1E2A7-B1B4-439C-9BFB-8B25254D14D2.jpeg

Nelson, Size 42

The pinlock zipper caught on the 44 and so initially I wasn’t able to try it. They got it open but found the zipper defective. Neil said it’s the second jacket they’re having to send back with this kind of issue.

The 44 scales pretty decently - it’s not a huge leap from the 42. Just a little longer in arms and fuller in body. The 42 was too small to zip, and I think the 44 was borderline (I didn’t risk zipping due to above issue).

The leather on both was fairly thick, around the same as my J-24L, maybe a mm thicker. It was also surprisingly broken in, although that may be from how many times it has been tried on (RIP brand story).

7C749D48-514F-4B3A-BAD2-600B47D35808.jpeg

C0AEBDFB-7502-49B5-A426-94DBFEF267DB.jpeg

I also tried the brown black deerhide Disfarmer in a size 44, which I quite liked. The leather is very supple. However, I didn’t even try to zip due to the chest being too tight.

The color is black but struck more of a dark brown to me, and in that light.

Last edited:

jmiller123

Reaction score
Went by S&S today. Met a fellow stan named Stan, tried on **** and bounced like a schlub.

The mirror was slanted so not particularly kind. I’m somewhere around 220 these days, 6’3” with around a 41” chest.

I don’t like this one. On every model I’ve seen but one it creates a round silhouette from the front.

View attachment 1691491 View attachment 1691490 View attachment 1691492 View attachment 1691493

Nelson, Size 42

The pinlock zipper caught on the 44 and so initially I wasn’t able to try it. They got it open but found the zipper defective. Neil said it’s the second jacket they’re having to send back with this kind of issue.

The 44 scales pretty decently - it’s not a huge leap from the 42. Just a little longer in arms and fuller in body. The 42 was too small to zip, and I think the 44 was borderline (I didn’t risk zipping due to above issue).

The leather on both was fairly thick, around the same as my J-24L, maybe a mm thicker. It was also surprisingly broken in, although that may be from how many times it has been tried on (RIP brand story).

View attachment 1691495
View attachment 1691494

I also tried the brown black deerhide Disfarmer in a size 44, which I quite liked. The leather is very supple. However, I didn’t even try to zip due to the chest being too tight.

Excited to visit this spot in person. What jeans are you wearing? I dig the cut of em.

schuermang

Reaction score

View attachment 1691491 View attachment 1691490 View attachment 1691492 View attachment 1691493

Nelson, Size 42

View attachment 1691495
View attachment 1691494

What didn’t you like about the new J24 fit? Mine is arriving this week, I picked it specifically because of the room in the body.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excited to visit this spot in person. What jeans are you wearing? I dig the cut of em.

Real McCoy's 001 washed, from this past SS.

What didn’t you like about the new J24 fit? Mine is arriving this week, I picked it specifically because of the room in the body.

Obviously the jacket isn't suited to me either in cut or size. But what you can see from my photo of there being kind of a ( ) effect on my torso is something you can also see below on Gen and this RMC Nagoya model:

1635116387332.png

1635116358897.png

The best shot of it I've seen was from the FW21 preview:

1635116448080.png

But even there you can see it.

If it just had that appearance on me, I'd attribute it to my physique. But I think the evidence says it's in the cut. They widened the chest, but more or less kept the shoulder and waist the same as the older model. With the curved hem it just ends up looking round.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to go down there and visit just to try the Nelson again ugh. I think I’m a 42, but need to be sure lol.

schuermang

Reaction score
Real McCoy's 001 washed, from this past SS.

Obviously the jacket isn't suited to me either in cut or size. But what you can see from my photo of there being kind of a ( ) effect on my torso is something you can also see below on Gen and this RMC Nagoya model:

View attachment 1691531
View attachment 1691530

The best shot of it I've seen was from the FW21 preview:

View attachment 1691532

But even there you can see it.

If it just had that appearance on me, I'd attribute it to my physique. But I think the evidence says it's in the cut. They widened the chest, but more or less kept the shoulder and waist the same as the older model. With the curved hem it just ends up looking round.
Tbh I kinda like that for wider bottoms. However I can’t really notice it outside of the Gen pic, but I’m not really well versed in McCoy’s leather jackets. Thanks for the insight!

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Nelson, Size 42

View attachment 1691495
View attachment 1691494

You missed me by a day. I am also annoyed at the zipper issue on the 30's sports jackets.

I think for double riders, you're going to like the Fountainhead ones - they lack the ( ) effect you're perceiving.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You missed me by a day. I am also annoyed at the zipper issue on the 30's sports jackets.

I think for double riders, you're going to like the Fountainhead ones - they lack the ( ) effect you're perceiving.

Ships in the night.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there and mostly tried not to buy stuff as I had just put in a preorder for the transcontinental boots. Can't wait to see the store get all the decorations and look like a proper spot to drop by.

jmiller123

Reaction score
IMG_7003.jpg
IMG_7017.jpg

I have finally found my ideal sweatshirt. These two are from Buzz Rickson and for less than a buck fifty, I think they present an excellent value. The quality on these is great, with the grey feeling slightly heavier (maybe fluffier?) and a bit looser, although I just received the black today. It was surprisingly tough to find a sweat that had a tighter neckline and didn't extend too far past my waist. While a lot of places say to size up, I would stick to your usual size in these as they do loosen with wear. This is a 38-40 and I have a 40-41" chest.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1692004 View attachment 1692005

I have finally found my ideal sweatshirt. These two are from Buzz Rickson and for less than a buck fifty, I think they present an excellent value. The quality on these is great, with the grey feeling slightly heavier (maybe fluffier?) and a bit looser, although I just received the black today. It was surprisingly tough to find a sweat that had a tighter neckline and didn't extend too far past my waist. While a lot of places say to size up, I would stick to your usual size in these as they do loosen with wear. This is a 38-40 and I have a 40-41" chest.

They look good.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainly for @Mghart , but Frank Clegg is doing one of their markdowns on their collection of one-off makeups. 25% off at checkout.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads