• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relatedly, there's a bit more gossip regarding the Real McCoy's history over on TFL:
The lore behind RMC and it’s initial founders is fascinating knowing that key members went off and started other ventures.

Fascinating reading. Wonder how much of the yakuza/RMC stuff is true? Between that and all the drama from the Aero/Alexander/Simmons theft case, there's enough for a couple of seasons of a Netflix docuseries at least!

You thought a leather jacket would make you look cool? Join us for :
"The Horsehide Chronicles: the untold stories and dark side of leather jackets."

I can just see @Understatesman sitting in a darkened room, face blurred and voice disguised detailing our collective sickness.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Y’2 gets some stink for being kind of a mass producer. I think they’re stuff looks ok but the patterns or appearance of the leather hasn't grabbed me as much.

I don’t know anything about Double Helix.
I'm curious to hear @StrangeJeremy on this issue.

Because of Y'2's scale from doing private label they have incredibly tight relationships with tanneries, and can do leathers that no-one else can. Patterns are all very good, fits are all very good.

RE: McCoy's - what they have going on is obviously all in-house production, and a crazy tight relationship with Shinki giving them access to the best possible hides.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a Freewheelers M422/G1 in size 40. Presently sub-$1000 unless you all bid it up.

1632608298462.png

Last edited:

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sat for sale at around 1.3 K for a few months.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone jump on this supposedly-NWT J-24L in size 44 for just under $2k:

1632608229067.png

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also this Flat Head cafe racer in 42:

1632608790834.png

I just do this now.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pandemic has revealed that the only clothes I care about now don’t really fit the motif of StyFo. However, I have built my online community here and I’m kind of afraid of Fedora Lounge.

I guess I could try Denimbro and Iron Heart, but then I’d have to learn technology all over again.

So I guess here I remain.

bobby jonathan

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also this Flat Head cafe racer in 42:

View attachment 1675248

I just do this now.
Would kop that TFH cafe racer if it were a larger size.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pandemic has revealed that the only clothes I care about now don’t really fit the motif of StyFo. However, I have built my online community here and I’m kind of afraid of Fedora Lounge.

I guess I could try Denimbro and Iron Heart, but then I’d have to learn technology all over again.

So I guess here I remain.

bobby jonathan
I’ve been on SF for too long to migrate elsewhere either. Plus there’s other threads with interesting discussion. Denimbro is basically dead and has been for about 2 years or so. TFL isn’t bad as long as you stay in the outerwear section.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on SF for too long to migrate elsewhere either. Plus there’s other threads with interesting discussion. Denimbro is basically dead and has been for about 2 years or so. TFL isn’t bad as long as you stay in the outerwear section.
I'm pretty new to actual conversation on forums, but Styleforum and TFL hold my interest the most. Education in leather jackets is an area where TFL really seems to shine, and as a newb I've felt nothing but welcome both here and there.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to actual conversation on forums, but Styleforum and TFL hold my interest the most. Education in leather jackets is an area where TFL really seems to shine, and as a newb I've felt nothing but welcome both here and there.

I knew nothing about leather jackets a year ago. I've picked up a lot from TFL and Vintage Leather Jacket Forum.

Also recently picked up Lightning's leather jacket guide and have Rin Tanaka's "Century of Leather Design" on the way.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve also checked out VLJ but don’t quite have a handle on it yet.
Books! That’s a real commitment in my, um, whatever.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to think I wasn't fashion enough for StyFo, and then I said *******. I'm gonna be here anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics