• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: The vertical folds that run along each side of the placket on trucker style jackets, what are the origins of this design?

This is referring to a Type 1 or 2, so technically not a "trucker".

As for the reason for the pleats, that I do not know.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple reasons - it adds mobility (since this is workwear) and to extend the usable life of the garment as people's bodies change.
I've never actually handled one (very sheltered life, I know) so I didn't realize that they're expandable pleats. Thanks!

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ojaw sorry I was taking the piss, but luckily you did get proper answers.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ojaw sorry I was taking the piss, but luckily you did get proper answers.
I enjoy leaving myself open to stuff like this, keeps things interesting for me, hopefully others as well.

Reactions: XWT

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Freewheelers Mulholland, I reached out to Speedway and they gave me the following for the 2020 model they have in 44:

Sleeve (shoulder to cuff): 65 cm
Back length (from base of collar): 66 cm

They said the 2021 was "the same size as all years". I kind of doubt that, and assume these measurements vary jacket-to-jacket. But similar to you, 65 cm arm length is just a bit too short for me, even with an accommodating shoulder.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This probably got buried in my rapid-fire posting. Curious to know the connection to McCoy's.

Relatedly, there's a bit more gossip regarding the Real McCoy's history over on TFL: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/freewheelers-leather-jackets.103898/page-10
The lore behind RMC and it’s initial founders is fascinating knowing that key members went off and started other ventures.

The factories in which jackets are or were produced is even more interesting since I’d imagine the skilled labor to make these kinds of garments is limited if multiple brands outsource to the same factories.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lore behind RMC and it’s initial founders is fascinating knowing that key members went off and started other ventures.

The factories in which jackets are or were produced is even more interesting since I’d imagine the skilled labor to make these kinds of garments is limited if multiple brands outsource to the same factories.

It sounds like "Eight" (Rainbow Country) is the only game in town other than Real McCoy's own. That is, for the brands that I tend to focus on.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'2 and Double Helix are pretty great IMO

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'2 and Double Helix are pretty great IMO

Y’2 gets some stink for being kind of a mass producer. I think they’re stuff looks ok but the patterns or appearance of the leather hasn't grabbed me as much.

I don’t know anything about Double Helix.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads