• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well my 601 XX 1951 Freewheelers got mildew remover on them and disintegrated in 15 places. Repair is $80. Thinking I'm probably just going to have to buy another pair.

Don't wear jawnz while cleaning.
Yeah, that's powerful stuff. I have some cheapo Uniqlo sweats that I clean with. Here in France we have stuff called Antikal to get rid of calcium deposits, and it's got some kind of acid in it that chews through fabric...

My own story: A long time ago, I had one of those JCrew barn jackets that were really popular. I picked up a car battery and hoisted it on my shoulder to carry it...a couple of minutes later my skin started burning...the acid had gone through the coat, a flannel shirt and a T shirt right to my skin...the fabric just melted away.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will not buy another pair of jeans to fill the temporary void while my Freewheelers are in the shop.

I will not buy another pair of jeans to fill the temporary void while my Freewheelers are in the shop.

I...

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score

I...
I have the Freewheelers as well and yesterday I‘ve bought the TCB 50s. Enjoying them a lot and loving the fact that they don‘t have the diapet butt, even though it‘s growing on me (slowly though :)

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a method for purchases or track what % of income you're spending on pieces?
In fact, I do have a checking account just for clothes. I spend about 10-15% depending on the year, although some years much less if there's not a lot I am feeling. I don't think anyone needs a prescriptive "method" though, as long as your bills are paid, you have the money for experiences to enjoy your sweet jawnz and put a little bit away don't trip.
I literally ordered a pair of Indigofera Kirks because my Tenders were taking so long to get hemmed. And now the Kirks are....well I don't know where they are.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn’t thought of this, recommended docs?

This guy

tenor.gif

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relatedly, do you ever read old superfuture posts and wonder if the author is still with us?

Also, it's sad that the tomes of denim knowledge contained in superdenim have all fallen off into the abyss.
Last time I took advice from SuFu I waded into the Pacific Ocean off the Oregon coast and almost drowned because my jeans got so tight I couldn’t swim. But yeah I get it

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relatedly, do you ever read old superfuture posts and wonder if the author is still with us?

Also, it's sad that the tomes of denim knowledge contained in superdenim have all fallen off into the abyss.
I honestly just think the idea or fad of raw denim has just significantly waned as its fairly ubiquitous now. I would occasionally read old threads on there especially for really niche stuff, but I'm just not that in to denim at this point. It felt to me after awhile those interested in denim would end up falling into certain 'camps' so to speak. There was the guys who were into purely fabrics and really slub heavy stuff, those into how things dyed, brands like N&F who had a really kitsch approach or Iron Heart which basically became a full on cult of bros heh. The repro stuff became more appealing cause it was the least fussiest. To me at least. I tried a few different brands to experience the variety, but its all too much now to bother for just 'jeans'. I have my pairs I have now that I won't replace until they fall apart.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly just think the idea or fad of raw denim has just significantly waned as its fairly ubiquitous now. I would occasionally read old threads on there especially for really niche stuff, but I'm just not that in to denim at this point. It felt to me after awhile those interested in denim would end up falling into certain 'camps' so to speak. There was the guys who were into purely fabrics and really slub heavy stuff, those into how things dyed, brands like N&F who had a really kitsch approach or Iron Heart which basically became a full on cult of bros heh. The repro stuff became more appealing cause it was the least fussiest. To me at least. I tried a few different brands to experience the variety, but its all too much now to bother for just 'jeans'. I have my pairs I have now that I won't replace until they fall apart.

There was a lot of unsavory in superdenim when I joined circa 2008 and I didn’t have the funds or interest to really dive into the raw denim depths, but I was as much a follower of the trend as any. I agree it’s become ubiquitous, and until recently I would have said there wasn’t a need for any new resources on the subject. But since I’ve come back around to the trend and am finally trying out some of hallowed brands, it would be nice to have some of that information.

You can still read through threads with poor search functions started 2008-onward, but all the history and context for specific brands seems to be lost, as are the consolidated threads. It feels like we’ve arrived somewhere between the pre-2005 Dark Ages and the Renaissance of shared knowledge that was those forums’ purpose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads