• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I dont know how yall do it, I panic purge items all the time. When I feel like there is too much stuff, I aggressively declutter and am so ruthless that sometimes I regret and want to buy some of it back. However I rarely miss most of it. I have the opposite problem yall have. My wife convinces me not to get rid of things.

The only thing I want is a J-24 like you but I will wait two years or so probably to do so, I want to **** up my FCL a bit more.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My two remaining (planned) purchases of the year are the Rolling Dub Trio Caspers and a Real McCoy's J-24 with mouton collar. However, I'm weighing that against the heroic amount of funds I've spent on jawnz in the past year, upcoming travel and the fact that I'm moving end of year. I own Blundstones and have a pair of black Savas zip boots arriving soon, but of course neither of those are the Casper. I have a J-100 and A-2, but of course neither of those have a padded lining and mouton collar. Also part of me still wants a grizzly. And there's the reality that the more you own, the less you wear each of the things you own.

Help me decide.
Will respond to this even though I believe whorish has a bit of :foo2: in him in that he already made up his mind before posting his question.

I would get the J-24 and sell the J-100. Of the three RMC's in question, the J-100 while great for the style, is not as interesting as the other two. Two RMC leathers are more than enough. If I were to pick one of the three, I would choose the J-24. Pass on the Grizzly.

Since you already purchased the Savas boots, I would pass on the Rolling Dub Trios. They are different, but maybe wear the Savas boots for a period of time before deciding whether the RDTs are even necessary.

I would sell or donate the Blundstones to create space. You buy the best in every category so I don't understand why you have them. I can't imagine they pull their weight in any fit.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will respond to this even though I believe whorish has a bit of :foo2: in him in that he already made up his mind before posting his question.

I would get the J-24 and sell the J-100. Of the three RMC's in question, the J-100 while great for the style, is not as interesting as the other two. Two RMC leathers are more than enough. If I were to pick one of the three, I would choose the J-24. Pass on the Grizzly.

Since you already purchased the Savas boots, I would pass on the Rolling Dub Trios. They are different, but maybe wear the Savas boots for a period of time before deciding whether the RDTs are even necessary.

I would sell or donate the Blundstones to create space. You buy the best in every category so I don't understand why you have them. I can't imagine they pull their weight in any fit.

I would not wish on anyone that this thread should turn into a Foo thread.

Blundstones are surprisingly comfortable and very easy to throw on, hence their appeal. They are ugly as ****, but honestly so are the Caspers. But yes, they do not measure up in terms of heft and tactile quality and I cannot strut while wearing them. It would still be hard to get rid of them.

I cannot imagine parting with my J-100 so soon. My Falcon Garments, on the other hand... but no one will pay for that.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Do you guys have a method for purchases or track what % of income you're spending on pieces? I have a weird complex where I'm maxing out my savings accounts and have the $$ to buy nice things, but feel guilty doing so. Therefore my closet is much smaller than I'd like and my girlfriend makes fun of me for wearing the same outfits ad nauseam

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a method for purchases or track what % of income you're spending on pieces? I have a weird complex where I'm maxing out my savings accounts and have the $$ to buy nice things, but feel guilty doing so. Therefore my closet is much smaller than I'd like and my girlfriend makes fun of me for wearing the same outfits ad nauseam

Can we Freaky Friday?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stick to buying only from a couple brands which helps so funds aren’t spread out too much amongst several. Spring seasons for me are usually meh, so I don’t buy much usually but then go hard fall seasons cause of cool outerwear. But I’ll still only buy stuff that will legitimalnly get wear so there’s no room for many novelty pieces for me as resale for a lot of this stuff is terrible.

Last edited:

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly I dont know how yall do it, I panic purge items all the time. When I feel like there is too much stuff, I aggressively declutter and am so ruthless that sometimes I regret and want to buy some of it back. However I rarely miss most of it. I have the opposite problem yall have. My wife convinces me not to get rid of things.

The only thing I want is a J-24 like you but I will wait two years or so probably to do so, I want to **** up my FCL a bit more.
Same @peachfuzzmcgee , I do the exact same ****. My girlfriend is actively telling me to buy things I want/keep clothes I already have.

deepdiver93

Reaction score
I buy 90% of my clothes secondhand for discount prices (usually 50%+ off retail). So I don't feel guilty in that I could always sell them again for a similar price.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my 601 XX 1951 Freewheelers got mildew remover on them and disintegrated in 15 places. Repair is $80. Thinking I'm probably just going to have to buy another pair.

Don't wear jawnz while cleaning.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my 601 XX 1951 Freewheelers got mildew remover on them and disintegrated in 8 places. Repair is $80. Thinking I'm probably just going to have to buy another pair.

Don't wear jawnz while cleaning.

Patch them. Wear again. This is how jeans should be used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads