• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great.

JMM is a slippery slope. Going to check out my 5th pair today...
I’ve still yet to handle in person but want to go to Anthony Aiden just to try some on. I’m thinking the Jax might be a safe first pair, and the upcoming one in Noir looks nice.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve still yet to handle in person but want to go to Anthony Aiden just to try some on. I’m thinking the Jax might be a safe first pair, and the upcoming one in Noir looks nice.
As someone who has also gone down this rabbit hole, I would say if you are going for sunglasses, skip the "safe first pair" route. You might as well fast forward to the more fun stuff. They are too expensive, especially if you need to fill an Rx, to waste dry powder.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has also gone down this rabbit hole, I would say if you are going for sunglasses, skip the "safe first pair" route. You might as well fast forward to the more fun stuff. They are too expensive, especially if you need to fill an Rx, to waste dry powder.
Yeah I’ve seen others comment similar in the thread. I just don’t know if I could realistically pull off a more wild pair. I have a tendency to always think in the context of my entire wardrobe, so the wild stuff might be reaching for me. The Molino or Fellini might be too safe. I just need to go down there and see how the different styles fit though.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm alone in this, but JMM glasses don't do anything for me.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like I'm alone in this, but JMM glasses don't do anything for me.
That’s fair. There are a lot of great optical and sunglasses brands out there. JMM is having its moment on this board and I have gotten sucked in for the time being.

Personally, there are better brands for opticals (for me, ymmv etc) than JMM. Sunglasses are cool, but I really only need one or two pairs at most, especially since I need to fill an expensive Rx with each pair. (And I am indoors most of the day anyway.)

Reactions: XWT

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like JMM, particularly the bolder stuff has a pretty specific 70s-80s luxe, bougie aesthetic which unless you want to mix n match doesn't necessarily go with the Repro stuff.

Which begs the question- Japanese repro eyewear brands...True Vintage Revival seems a good place to start, Solakzade, Real Mccoy's obviously, Hakusan and Groover both a bit more bold 50s style, Sawaguchi Meganesha which seem nice but unobtainable unless you can visit the tiny physical store in Saitama Prefecture lol... Anything else?

Reactions: XWT

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flat head (38).

1621522713589.png

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brogue Shop in California(mostly an Alden retailer) just recently started stocking Freewheelers. Not sure how much he’ll actually get in as Freewheelers seasonal collections are usually rather large, but it is a US based stockist.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I need more pants, but I've been thinking on getting another, more comfortable pair of jeans. I have been hovering around Resolute 711s, but those Freewheeler 601xx 1951s are tempting.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Freewheelers 601xx or any Real McCoy's indigo denim? Resolute has kind of hit a sweet spot for me in terms of being a bit lighter-weight while having interesting characteristics, but their straight fit is probably too low a rise for me. My impression is the former are heavier, even if only by an ounce per inch more.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads