• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1619700952777.png

@whorishconsumer litteraly this, despite the 40 size tag.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That’s a fair bit of unnecessary confusion :(

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That’s a fair bit of unnecessary confusion :(
Have had the same issue with JP sized Blackmeans. It's literally just always a size down from the "real" size. Have not seen JP sized Real McCoys in person, but I've heard it can be problematic from users on Fedora Lounge who are obsessed with ordering by proxy

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could swear previous iterations of the mobster were sized smaller, I remember noticing when the FW'20 version appeared on the UK Mccoy's site the measurements seemed roomier, so maybe they adjusted the grading and XWT's was an older one if proxied. Could be wrong, but don't think Mccoys grade stuff differently for International stores but do tweak the fit sometimes, so like the current Lot 004 denim has a higher rise than previously. Incidentally I saw an og Mccoys mobster with made in New Zealand labels on Yahoo JP a while ago.

Blackmeans have their own weird unisex 1-7 size range different from other Japanese brands, only I think some of the collabs like the John Elliot were sized more normally... and then some of the weirder pieces are size 3 only/one size fits all...Lol sometimes I think about all the memory space in my brain that's taken up with useless brand sizing info.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blackmeans have their own weird unisex 1-7 size range different from other Japanese brands, only I think some of the collabs like the John Elliot were sized more normally... and then some of the weirder pieces are size 3 only/one size fits all
Blackmeans JP models had 1-7 but then would list say a 4 as a "42" which was actually a 38 on some collections and a 42 on others. You pretty much had to just hope for accurate measurements on each individual garment if buying resale. I've bought a couple of their jackets over the years. The John Elliott ones had clearer sizing and were in general a more generous fit, but they are not as interesting.

I've sold all my Blackmeans stuff. All their jackets have such an incredibly high armhole they really just aren't comfortable

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blackmeans JP models had 1-7 but then would list say a 4 as a "42" which was actually a 38 on some collections and a 42 on others. You pretty much had to just hope for accurate measurements on each individual garment if buying resale. I've bought a couple of their jackets over the years. The John Elliott ones had clearer sizing and were in general a more generous fit, but they are not as interesting.

I've sold all my Blackmeans stuff. All their jackets have such an incredibly high armhole they really just aren't comfortable
Heh you probably know better than me then I just had the one jacket... which I sold cause it was too tight in the shoulders/armhole. I think some of the distressed leathers are shrunk or come up smaller which adds to the chaos theory sizing. I like their stuff from afar now, not really interested in buying or wearing it anymore.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this M65.... $725 is tough to stomach though
Yikes Uncle Sam gave me as many of those as I could wear through free of charge. Well monetarily anyway.

Treble

Reaction score
Does anyone know if RealMcCoys have done a jungle / tropical coat in camo or any other colours? Wouldn't mind one as it's such a versatile piece.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1620163326362.png

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Treble

Reaction score
There's this one, still on Markkt, but also a current-season item: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...-mccoys-freewheelers-etc.680313/post-10696234

Thanks - I was thinking like the last one in your post from the Armoury, 'COAT, MAN'S, COMBAT, TROPICAL'. I hadn't seen them in other colours before but like the item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads