• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice read. I do wonder how the company will continue now that his son is running it. Not sure how long ago Tsujimoto retired. The impression I had from one of the staff in the Tokyo shop was that his son wasn't nearly as interested nor invested in the brand which is understandable. The brand has such a large footprint in Japan I'm sure it'll be fine, but outside of leather jackets and maybe a few other select things, theres not a lot in recent seasons that I've lusted after.

I was wondering that myself, and was curious as to the specifics around his stepping down as well. My assumption is always that the old ways that established a brand dissolve with a changing of the guard, but that may not be fair. RMC was a brand prior to Tsujimoto taking ownership and was even more highly regarded, according to Dan's article (A Fine Tooth Comb). But the brand has scaled immensely since then and, if they follow the course of most businesses post-acquisition/transfer, they would probably seek to scale and diversify further, thus diluting the brand's appeal to the core consumers.

But that's all speculation.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a related note: I'm looking to have Fok make a few tweaks to my brand introduction at the top of this thread. Since the permissions to do so are only held by admin, I can only make this request sparingly. The two changes I was planning to ask for are:
  • Remove Self Edge as a previous stockist of RMC. Per Kiya this is inaccurate.
  • Attached the above Inventory article
Any other additions/changes people would like to see?

Arseweazel99

Reaction score
Michael at The Armoury sent me this scan of an old interview with Hitoshi Tsujimoto taken from Inventory magazine, Ryan Willms' now-defunct enterprise. It's the most comprehensive article I've yet read regarding the brand. I especially like the part where Tsujimoto paid people to improve on Christopher Nolan's work.
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this. I would love to walk around the RMC HQ. It sounds mental! I love the brand even more after reading this interview. Thanks!!

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm. I see you expressed concerns about the length and sleeve length. I think the length is fine and is probably close to the intended fit. Sleeves seems a little short. I would email the RMC people to find out what to expect in terms of losing sleeve length to creasing. I think the jacket otherwise fits well.

I am used to sleeves always being on the long side so I would find these sleeves a bit too short. I am also used to slightly longer jackets, but I am less bothered by the overall length.

Reactions: XWT

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks decent. Might be better with a chest height pic taken from a little further for a better judgment of proportions. I think you’re right about the sleeves being borderline. What’s probably most important though is how you feel/felt when you put it on. Usually the stuff that I really love I tend to get an instant “yes” type of feeling.

Reactions: XWT

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks decent. Might be better with a chest height pic taken from a little further for a better judgment of proportions. I think you’re right about the sleeves being borderline. What’s probably most important though is how you feel/felt when you put it on. Usually the stuff that I really love I tend to get an instant “yes” type of feeling.

Yeah I want to take better pics but I’m affraid of my wife’s reaction so it’s hidden in the basement (for real).

My sentiment though is that it feels really nice but I lack the « **** YEAH » feeling I had with, say, my Joe McCoy type 3 or my RRL type 2.

I really want to love it but I’m fearful that I will find the sleeves and body to be an inch short in the long run. However there is no telling on how it would look after breaking in.

The thing that sucks most is that the jacket was listed with a tagged size of 40 on a Japanese auction site, but the listed measurements lined up as I said with a size 38. I was unreasonably eager to get the jacket for whatever midlife crisis reason I had and I didn’t find a japanese-speaking person to validate. Now I’m coming to the realization that the seller was correct about sizing. Could it be a mislabeled item? I wouldn’t know.

So yeah, I don’t know what to think because I think the jacket looks fantastic and I can’t replace it with a bigger size easily. It just feels a bit strange and I don’t know if it’s because I feel buyers remorse or because I don’t like how it fits.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I want to take better pics but I’m affraid of my wife’s reaction so it’s hidden in the basement (for real).

My sentiment though is that it feels really nice but I lack the « **** YEAH » feeling I had with, say, my Joe McCoy type 3 or my RRL type 2.

I really want to love it but I’m fearful that I will find the sleeves and body to be an inch short in the long run. However there is no telling on how it would look after breaking in.

The thing that sucks most is that the jacket was listed with a tagged size of 40 on a Japanese auction site, but the listed measurements lined up as I said with a size 38. I was unreasonably eager to get the jacket for whatever midlife crisis reason I had and I didn’t find a japanese-speaking person to validate. Now I’m coming to the realization that the seller was correct about sizing. Could it be a mislabeled item? I wouldn’t know.

So yeah, I don’t know what to think because I think the jacket looks fantastic and I can’t replace it with a bigger size easily. It just feels a bit strange and I don’t know if it’s because I feel buyers remorse or because I don’t like how it fits.

**** yeah usually overrides my buyer's remorse if it's truly **** yeah. On the other hand, I have many times kept expensive items because I perceived that what I knew initially concerning fit would somehow change. I have always been wrong.

Sell on TFL and buy a 42 from The Armoury. Or a Nelson if Standard & Strange ever restocks. Or save it as a future purchase and stop hiding in the basement.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally that fit does look just like a tad short on the arms. I would probably flip it. For that kinda money in a jacket you really don't want to be second guessing every time you wear it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried it on again this morning and this is a flip case, as disappointed as I am.

I need to figure out if it’s tagged correctly though.

I don’t think JP RMC are differently sized than what they stock abroad, but maybe this run was? What are the measurements?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics