• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the topic of the Buco J-100 or similar board/cafe racers, can this style be worn well with trousers other than denim? I see it as a denim and boots (or sneakers) type of jacket. But I was wondering if it were more versatile than that.

Also, ideally where should the sleeves land? Base of wrist or first thumb joint or somewhere in the middle. Perhaps the answer also matters whether or not you ride?

I think we've established I'm no expert, but I don't see why cafe racers wouldn't work outside of denim and boots. I can see it particularly with slacks. Personally, I'll be taking a stab at wearing it with my high-waisted Cottle jawnz.

I had my Falcon Garments made to hit a little past the wrist joint, accounting for the length being reduced due to creasing. For that I was going for a Goldblum-SLP vibe (that whole jacket was my attempt to do SLP slim but in a non-DR). The J-100 hits me at about the same point and has similarly slim arms. I suppose if the arms were wider, it might make sense to go a little longer.

But, really, do what's comfortable. And then post pics of it. And then sustain criticism for your choice. And then sell it and buy the jacket everyone tells you to buy. Is my advice.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a cold place so I'm definitely getting a Grizzly jacket at some point. It's the Himel Wolverine I want though. While I understand the comment about it being "that" leather jacket, when you wear leather jackets a lot it's just "a" leather jacket.

Anyhow, thanks W for allowing us to live vicariously through your visits to The Armoury.

These pictures of the Mobster are actually making me considering it again. The belt loop thing sorts of bother me, but not that much. I think it looks badass on the official product pics. Also, the shortness of the jacket is - to me - a feature and not a bug. The sleeve length seems different from the measured one, and I wouldn't discount the effect of the dropped shoulder seam on that. Based on my observation, the listed measurements indicates very wide shoulders and short sleeves. Because the last inch or so of the shoulder is dropped, this elungates the sleeves instead of creating a short-sleeve-on-a-square-jacket effect.

I don't know why I'm rambling about it. I'm not getting it anyway. My credit card is getting somewhat full, I have a Buyee haul coming my way, and my wife is unlikely to work at all during the next 6 to 9 months due to the extreme shortage of infant kindergarten spots. With her mat leave coming to an end, I'll have to stop buying fancy japanese clothes to keep up.

(I'm sorry)

• Haha
Reactions: XWT

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of the Buco J-100 or similar board/cafe racers, can this style be worn well with trousers other than denim? I see it as a denim and boots (or sneakers) type of jacket. But I was wondering if it were more versatile than that.

Also, ideally where should the sleeves land? Base of wrist or first thumb joint or somewhere in the middle. Perhaps the answer also matters whether or not you ride?
I think a cafe racer can look great with trousers or slacks. Grey or brown flannel trousers and khaki chinos look awesome with a well fitting cafe racer. I swear it was kind of a uniform for the club in 2012 (not that a 9 year old look is necessarily bad).

Personally I don't ride a motorcycle, but I tend to like my jackets to hit right above first thumb joint just because I spend a lot of time driving. When the sleeves are much higher they tend to catch on my wrist in an uncomfortable way.
So does Chase Manhattan.
I love that you have fairly expansive taste in clothing so we get to see all of this stuff, but I thought I had a problem and I feel much better now. ?

Side note: the J-100 is a sick jacket you made the right choice

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually seen it already. I’m probably only internally debating getting it because of the opportunity to get it relatively cheap. Once it’s sold the temptation will recede.

Good rationale.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now I have the Freewheelers Mulholland on my mind. Hard to find, but Corlection has it for $$$$. Might be too small anyway. Himel also make the Imperial and then there is the RMC Nelson 30s.
I vote Freewheelers or Himel. Freewheelers because the black tea core leather will age very nicely, Himel because you get more customization options

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need to get a USA stockist of Freewheelers. Hard to lay down over $3K on spec to an overseas retailer.
Hickorees tried years ago, but I don’t think it sold well at all. Freewheelers I think is niche even among other adjacent brands I feel even compared to RMC or brands like Warehouse. Outside of the leathers, a good number of their garments can feel a bit costume-y but they’re still really nice and well made.

When I think of the US ‘scene’ for this kind of stuff I feel it leans heavy into streetwear denim brands like 3sixteen or Rgt. Or it’s the Iron Heart crowd which imo is just a bit bland.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now I have the Freewheelers Mulholland on my mind. Hard to find, but Corlection has it for $$$$. Might be too small anyway. Himel also make the Imperial and then there is the RMC Nelson 30s.

if you want to discuss that jacket’s sizing you can ask @almostvintagestyle on Instagram. He owned 3 different Mulhollands in the last 2 years. He’s also extremely candid and genuinely helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads