• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an around Nyc, I can’t think of anything else outside what was listed. I still think repro is not really a popular thing in the US, and I can see why RMC didn’t really take off when it was near BiG.

I knew years ago Hickorees tried to stock freewheelers and I don’t think that did well either.

I’ve basically been buying online via proxy/email ordering since 2017 so I don’t even go into shops anymore.

Why do I live here, again?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like repro in the US is super dead, I mean here in Japan its still pretty niche but definitely more popular amongst dad types. I like the stuff but I feel like with the younger crowd, true vintage is the only thing they want. I mean they will spend wild ass money on it and live in boxes eating ramen everyday.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do I live here, again?

Haha. Yeah once I started going that route, having all these boutiques and shops in Manhattan didn’t matter anymore.

I feel like repro in the US is super dead, I mean here in Japan its still pretty niche but definitely more popular amongst dad types. I like the stuff but I feel like with the younger crowd, true vintage is the only thing they want. I mean they will spend wild ass money on it and live in boxes eating ramen everyday.
I remember going into Berberjin the first time and seeing some of the dead stock stuff they had and what the prices were. Pretty surreal, but cool to see in person.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As always, I'm super late to the game.

I appreciate the hunt and sense of discovery that goes into shopping vintage, but I'm also not dedicated enough to be able distinguish details telling of age or quality when sifting through a stack of 20 officer's chinos or 50 Levi's jackets. Instead I search for novel details to stick out at me, which are seldom, and it is almost never the case that the garment then fits me. I'm also not so into it that I'm down with wearing stained and tattered originals.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alessandro Squarzi

Worth noting that he and his brand (Fortela) completely ripped the Dude Rancher shirt by Mister Freedom eariler this year. I think they pulled the model after the backlash as I can't find it on their website anymore.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As always, I'm super late to the game.

I appreciate the hunt and sense of discovery that goes into shopping vintage, but I'm also not dedicated enough to be able distinguish details telling of age or quality when sifting through a stack of 20 officer's chinos or 50 Levi's jackets. Instead I search for novel details to stick out at me, which are seldom, and it is almost never the case that the garment then fits me. I'm also not so into it that I'm down with wearing stained and tattered originals.

Hey different strokes for different folks. I like the uniqueness that is found in vintage, the stains, the wear, and the general vibes they give off. I like repro but sometimes the newness of certain pieces bore me. Although I’ll always be a sucker for new denim, but anything military needs to have some wear for me. Also suede/leather is better if it’s already beat to **** for me. Also I don’t think it’s necessary to go so heady into vintage shopping. I have a mentality of if it’s cheap and you like it, go for it. No need to fret how it stacks up to something else or if it’s rare etc.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This m421-a popped up on Marrkt for essentially Japanese price, so I snagged it.

I've never been compelled to own tan jackets, but for some reason this style started appealing to me after I saw a similar At Last & Co model. I like the detailing.

As to whether I'll ever find the right external NYC temperature to justify wearing it is another matter.

1617794717981.png

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Last thing is I got lucky with the price. I had to pay Japanese sales taxes, buyee proxy fee, buyee shipping fee with Fedex and canadian sales taxes on top of the price. It still cost me $715 USD total, which I was happy to pay. If I had been a domestic Japanese customer I would have cost me onlt $545 USD, and if Buyee arranged sales tax deduction for international buyers, it could have cost me $665 USD.

Any problems with Fedex? I had a few items sitting in the Buyee warehouse and finally gave up on EMS to Canada starting up again, so I had my package sent out last night. Fedex seemed suspiciously cheap compared to DHL. Buyee didn't indicate what specific service level they were using, but I figure it's international either way so brokerage isn't going to be as bad as Fedex or UPS ground to Canada. I once ordered an Orslow jungle jacket from Totem and had to pay like $60 in brokerage in addition to the tax & duty.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any problems with Fedex?

First off, do know that I am Canadian so I don't know how things work exactly when getting an item delivered to the USA. (I believe that in the USA, you don,t have to pay import taxes and duty on items with a declared value of less than $800.)

In Canada, you are basically always asked to pay import taxes and duty, except when an item is delivered through Canada Post. Why? I don't know.

EMS had this enormous advantage of being a Canada Post partner. That means no taxes and duty.

So Fedex used to be a "**** no" option for me, exactly because of the brokerage fee you mentionned. They were absurdly high, like $50 CAD. hose fees were on top of the import taxes they'd collect from you.

If I recall correctly, they changed their policy regarding those fees. Now you have to pay a brokerage fee that's much more reasonable (like $8.50) and you have to pay the same sales taxes you'd have yo pay if you bought something locally (15% in my case).

Delivery was fast. The brokerage and fees were reasonable. I was satisfied with the service.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Delivery was fast. The brokerage and fees were reasonable. I was satisfied with the service.

Thanks. I am Canadian. Usually I would use EMS. Canada post does charge duties and tax sometimes, but they’re lazy. The huge brokerage fees still exist, but mostly in ground services. Like I said, I got one the other year for an order from the US.

I was kinda wondering about duties from Japan since it’s often 18% on items, pre-tax. If you only got charged brokerage and sales tax that’s a good sign.

One good thing about DHL is that their IT actually works. They’ll text you a bill ahead of delivery and you can pay immediately. With the others it’s nothing always obvious how to pay.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One good thing about DHL is that their IT actually works. They’ll text you a bill ahead of delivery and you can pay immediately. With the others it’s nothing always obvious how to pay.

Fedex called me to have me pay. Which is good, because I ordered twice form TCB Jeans when they offered free shipping and ******* FEDEX sent me to collection for like a total of $35 because they send me bills by the mail which, to be candid, I didn't pay attention to.

kaizerpi

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a similar US Navy HBT utility jacket w/o the stenciling (still uncomfortable with that as a concept). I think real mccoys had something like that but in a herringbone twill.
1617979078625.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads