• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested to see more Freewheelers offerings as well. I'm not well-versed at present. My understanding is that they are made by Rainbow Country.

That was my understanding as well, that they were outsourced to Rainbow Country but probably made to a higher spec. I'd love to even try a Rainbow Country jacket as most of them look incredibly well made and sub $2k.. Sizing however looks to maybe too small for me.

Freewheelers however seems to rotate which models of jackets they do annually and some models can go years without being made. It seems jackets like their Mulholland and Brakeman are made quite a bit due to popularity however I'd love to the see the Caboose model made again since I really like half belts.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to take it with a grain of salt when the Fedora Lounge guys claim that such and such a brand is made in the same factory as X... not least because the list of brands supposedly made in the same factory seems to change every time lol.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my understanding as well, that they were outsourced to Rainbow Country but probably made to a higher spec. I'd love to even try a Rainbow Country jacket as most of them look incredibly well made and sub $2k.. Sizing however looks to maybe too small for me.

Freewheelers however seems to rotate which models of jackets they do annually and some models can go years without being made. It seems jackets like their Mulholland and Brakeman are made quite a bit due to popularity however I'd love to the see the Caboose model made again since I really like half belts.

I've been digging those 30s style jackets. Too similar to the Falcon Garments jacket I just had made recently to justify buying anytime soon, though.

I tend to take it with a grain of salt when the Fedora Lounge guys claim that such and such a brand is made in the same factory as X... not least because the list of brands supposedly made in the same factory seems to change every time lol.

I was just reading this earlier today: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ets-are-overhyped.103390/page-11#post-2779902

TFL folk are weird, but perhaps no more so than the StyFo Doucherati.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of a grail for me, from @LA Guy's recommendation (he has the black one). I had Standard and Strange check with RMC and they no longer have this in what might be my size (44), and I haven't found it on the Internet anywhere above a 40.

I'd be open to alternatives. I know Freewheelers made a similar jacket, but based on measurements it appears painfully small, and is also out of production.

View attachment 1563203

Barbanera did a similar jacket a couple seasons ago called the "Ennio," which was carried by The Rake (sold out now). Cheaper price point (~$850 USD, IIRC maybe ~$400s on sale?) and made in Italy.

1614374672410.png

1614374774421.png

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbanera did a similar jacket a couple seasons ago called the "Ennio," which was carried by The Rake (sold out now). Cheaper price point (~$850 USD, IIRC maybe ~$400s on sale?) and made in Italy.

View attachment 1563376
View attachment 1563377

DWW has that one. I tried to find it but it's sold out, as you said. Although maybe it will surface somewhere.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, as a general resource, Junk Vintage in Osaka has been mentioned more than once as a good place to find used RMC, Freewheelers, etc. Their website is just informational, but you can search their used stock via Yahoo Auctions, here: https://buyee.jp/item/search/seller/junk_pf

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone information on Toys McCoy (Hiroshi Okamoto's label since leaving RMC)? I know Blue In Green stocks them, although not online. Might need to stop by and check it out, as well as the shop in general as I still have not been.

On initial spec, they appear to produce much of the same as RMC but with the focus on added prints and badges.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone doing deck jackets these days sans any stencilling

Real McCoy's, Freewheelers, Toys McCoy and Buzz Rickson all produce non-stenciled versions. You could also look at Iron heart, Pike Brothers or Bronson.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone information on Toys McCoy (Hiroshi Okamoto's label since leaving RMC)? I know Blue In Green stocks them, although not online. Might need to stop by and check it out, as well as the shop in general as I still have not been.

On initial spec, they appear to produce much of the same as RMC but with the focus on added prints and badges.
This was my impression as well. Most likely similar in quality, but the majority of their versions favor hand painting on jackets and heavy badging. Eastman does this to a similar extent as well.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real McCoy's, Freewheelers, Toys McCoy and Buzz Rickson all produce non-stenciled versions. You could also look at Iron heart, Pike Brothers or Bronson.

It's harder to find the Buzz Rickson's versions, though. The non-stencilled versions seemed to always be specially produced for the shop. That's why I ended up getting RMC.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped by Blue In Green today. I spoke with an SA who was pretty cool. She told me they've shifted away from stocking the Japanese repro brands at present because they expose BiG to more risk during uncertain times: brands like Kapital are popular among the hypebeasts, so they've moved to stocking them, but Toys McCoys – which they stocked until recently – does not come with the same assurance of product moving off the shelves. I also have to imagine the minimum buys/cost of initial capital is different. They're apparently considering stocking RMC again in 2022, but it sounds very much in the air. Because of the sort of non-compete agreements that come with stocking these brands, there are politics around transitioning from buying from one of them to another.

Last edited:

gnu

Reaction score
This is a bit of a grail for me, from @LA Guy's recommendation (he has the black one). I had Standard and Strange check with RMC and they no longer have this in what might be my size (44), and I haven't found it on the Internet anywhere above a 40.

I'd be open to alternatives. I know Freewheelers made a similar jacket, but based on measurements it appears painfully small, and is also out of production.

View attachment 1563203

FWIW this is also a grail for me. I've been kicking myself for not purchasing the brown when I had the chance. I went on a massive search over the summer/fall with the help of Standard & Strange, Lost & Found, and Real McCoys London (albeit the last wasn't very helpful) for either the black or the brown that turned up nothing. I'm holding out for a used one but I haven't seen any posted in a while. I'm hoping this makes a return. I did bug the guys and S&S that they should do the jacket as a special release.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads