• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a little reticent to decry the quality of RMC's leather jackets because, as I said, I am not the expert and I'm wary of forum posts by amateurs marring the good name of clothing brands. That being said, my initial impressions were that the leather was a bit thin and brittle and I found the serge lining of the Grizzly and 30s/Mobster to have a nice handfeel but also seem out of place. It just seems like it would deteriorate with wear. However, that is a detail that is likely period-correct.

Regarding the leather, in truth, when I first received my A2 (from The Armoury but I ordered online, before then going in in person anyway, go figure), not having handled an RMC or any horsehide jacket prior, I expected the leather to be a bit thicker. However, even with the caliper measurement being less than anticipated, there is density to the grain. And while the hide is stiff, there is a pliable strength to it where it feels like you can beat it it up without concern. And, of course, the liquor used in the tannage is very fragrant and, together with the rich dye, gives the impression, at least, that the jacket is imbued with a lot. By contrast, my first impression with the Grizzly in particular was, "this needs some Lexol".

But this is where I need schooling on the properties of leather. And thanks for clarifying, @Mghart , re the Shinki - I wasn't sure if that was where they go for all their leather or just for certain jackets, like the A2.

I felt guilty about any possible misrepresentation, so I asked the nerd-experts over at The Fedora Lounge about what to expect with horsehide and got some informative replies. It sounds like the perception of dry jerky I got from some of the other RMC horsehides is as-intended.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It worked out for me (in a size 44), but after trying several other RMC jackets I can say I lucked out. I think the knit cuffs helped in that the arms are long enough for me, and I am 6'3" with long arms. While the body is cropped, that is the style and I'm okay with it. I think it sits just at the breaking point of acceptable. In terms of body, I was actually surprised it ended up working, as the shoulder and pit-pit measurements are less than I thought I required.

I think the reason it works is because there is excess material between the shoulder blade (it's not pulled tight) and in general is maybe just blousy enough in the right places to allow mobility. It is not blousy, however, but has a trim fit. After wearing it in just a little, I am able to fit a sweatshirt and T under it comfortably just as easy as just wearing a T.

I don't think I would have preferred the Rough Wear version, partially because of the lighter dye, but also the looser fit. It's also more cropped.
Nice, I'll have to try that on at some point. I think the color on yours is closer to the traditional seal brown which looks nicer than the lighter color as well. Sounds like its roomy enough to layer a little but not big comically loose like some of them seem to fit.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, I'll have to try that on at some point. I think the color on yours is closer to the traditional seal brown which looks nicer than the lighter color as well. Sounds like its roomy enough to layer a little but not big comically loose like some of them seem to fit.

Exactly. And I bought it in large part because of the hue of seal brown, which, RMC is the only one doing that that I'm aware of. Also, not having a wealth of experience with leather jackets, the knit really struck me in that it's a wool knit more like a sweater than elastane cuffs. I also dig the snaps on the hip pockets and the zipper, although that's a detail I maybe wouldn't give a **** about if I hadn't read the marketing. It's cool hardware nonetheless. I thought the hip pockets would bug me and that I'd want **** pockets instead, but I actually prefer them now. There's something cool about taking my keys out of them, like it's a utility kit.

I'm an old man playing Buck Rogers.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I bought it in large part because of the hue of seal brown, which, RMC is the only one doing that that I'm aware of.

I stand corrected.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both Aero as well as Eastman do accurate color representations for seal brown I think.

I really want to like Aero, but I just don’t care for their horsehide leathers as their don’t nearly have the same kind of character as Shinki in my opinion.

They do offer Badalassi from Italy which is an incredible leather, but unfortunately only in two colors.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both Aero as well as Eastman do accurate color representations for seal brown I think.

I really want to like Aero, but I just don’t care for their horsehide leathers as their don’t nearly have the same kind of character as Shinki in my opinion.

They do offer Badalassi from Italy which is an incredible leather, but unfortunately only in two colors.

I definitely don’t find the grain on the above Aero as appealing as that of my RMC.

I’m curious to handle other leathers, such as Badalassi, to see how they compare.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Freewheelers is doing their ‘A-1’ this year. I’ve always liked the look of this one since it’s a spin on the original. It’s been a few years since they’ve done it so I’ll be curious to see what other models they bring back this year

DFC30B8A-AE06-4181-A24C-FC42CAA4D001.jpeg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Freewheelers is doing their ‘A-1’ this year. I’ve always liked the look of this one since it’s a spin on the original. It’s been a few years since they’ve done it so I’ll be curious to see what other models they bring back this year

View attachment 1563141

Interested to see more Freewheelers offerings as well. I'm not well-versed at present. My understanding is that they are made by Rainbow Country.

View attachment 1563142
This one is the RMC A-1 i recently tried at Jinji (a shop i mentioned previously). Didn't fit me very well TBH, but superb quality.

That fits you pretty close to how my A2 fits me, it's just a little longer in the body and arms. What bothered you about the fit?

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Interested to see more Freewheelers offerings as well. I'm not well-versed at present. My understanding is that they are made by Rainbow Country.

That fits you pretty close to how my A2 fits me, it's just. a little longer in the body and arms. What bothered you about the fit?
More a personal feeling, it didn't feel "right" if that make sense, and it seemed a bit too fitted, as i only wore a shirt underneath.
Now i think it would fit better after some breaking in...
Still tempted TBH...

illiterate

Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread but since when does RMC do exclusives for certain stockists?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More a personal feeling, it didn't feel "right" if that make sense, and it seemed a bit too fitted, as i only wore a shirt underneath.
Now i think it would fit better after some breaking in...
Still tempted TBH...

I was on the fence about mine as well, but didn't have too many qualms about wearing it with a T – it was more a question of whether I could wear a sweater as well. After brief wear I was able to do so comfortably. I think if you have a lot of experience with leather jackets you probably develop a sense of the "perfect fit", but I don't have that so I'm happy with it.

Now, if I ever return to previous degrees of fitness fit may become an issue. On the other hand, I have weight to lose, so maybe it would balance at.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread but since when does RMC do exclusives for certain stockists?

I'm not too familiar but I know RMC did some items for The Armoury previously (I just picked up a deadstock T from that collection).

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of a grail for me, from @LA Guy's recommendation (he has the black one). I had Standard and Strange check with RMC and they no longer have this in what might be my size (44), and I haven't found it on the Internet anywhere above a 40.

I'd be open to alternatives. I know Freewheelers made a similar jacket, but based on measurements it appears painfully small, and is also out of production.

1614362287111.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of a grail for me, from @LA Guy's recommendation (he has the black one). I had Standard and Strange check with RMC and they no longer have this in what might be my size (44), and I haven't found it on the Internet anywhere above a 40.

I'd be open to alternatives. I know Freewheelers made a similar jacket, but based on measurements it appears painfully small, and is also out of production.

View attachment 1563203

I’ll look out for it. It’s been a minute, but iirc, a few European and Canadian retailers carry decent selections of Real McCoys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads