• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations on where I might get a vest in an interesting texture similar to this?

@d4nimal I believe you have something like this.
Look for anything in relation to Browns Beach as that cloth type is what other brands are emulating like that MF vest. Its essentially almost like a cotton/wool blend for the outer, while the interior maybe be just wool. You can still find 'Browns Beach' labeled stuff as the namesake it still being produced I believe by Fullcount, but don't remember.

Freewheelers does a version called the 'Bridgeport' which is a great iteration of the style. I had one at one point but sized wrong.. these styles definitely run small.
bridgeportvest-navy36_011a.jpg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a lot of unsavory in superdenim when I joined circa 2008 and I didn’t have the funds or interest to really dive into the raw denim depths, but I was as much a follower of the trend as any. I agree it’s become ubiquitous, and until recently I would have said there wasn’t a need for any new resources on the subject. But since I’ve come back around to the trend and am finally trying out some of hallowed brands, it would be nice to have some of that information.

You can still read through threads with poor search functions started 2008-onward, but all the history and context for specific brands seems to be lost, as are the consolidated threads. It feels like we’ve arrived somewhere between the pre-2005 Dark Ages and the Renaissance of shared knowledge that was those forums’ purpose.
You may also try looking on Denimbro forum as there are some really good old threads from some of the more niche denim brands as that whole forum is mostly repro focused. Its mostly dead at this point, but theres a lot of old stuff that was good reading material on there.

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
I feel as though that a single piece of clothes has its limits. Especially in the fact that most people aren't interested in very interesting cuts or styles. Most denim is some variation of the 5 pocket Levis pants in various tapered forms. I do like denim and I have way too much of it, but I don't like the fading that looks like a death metal band name, I hate super skinny fits, anything heavier than 16oz feels like burlap and has no upsides since it doesnt mean its going to take a beating more than others. However a good fitting pair of jeans feels and looks great.

I think at some point the conversation gets circular, I don't even know how they are able to talk about this sort of stuff for long. Although I do appreciate brands like Tender Co who put all their processes on forums like sufu.

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
Posted this also SuFu but since we have some Lofgren fans here, I would also like to get your opinion.

So I have the roughout M-43 by Lofgren but I‘m also looking for a brown boot that can be worn under all and any conditions (urban wise, not as a real work boot). I‘m debating between the Lofgren M-43 in horsehide and the Combat boots in Timber. Any pros/cons?

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Posted this also SuFu but since we have some Lofgren fans here, I would also like to get your opinion.

So I have the roughout M-43 by Lofgren but I‘m also looking for a brown boot that can be worn under all and any conditions (urban wise, not as a real work boot). I‘m debating between the Lofgren M-43 in horsehide and the Combat boots in Timber. Any pros/cons?
Either will work, to be honest. I don't know that the M-43 in HH is different enough from the roughout that it's worth picking up as your next pair. The Timber CXL Combats age really well, and are supremely comfortable.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Reaction score
Anyone know the fabric weight of the Warehouse 4601 tees? 5.5/6/7/etc oz ..... or, if not, the finished weight of one of them? Haven't been able to spot the info. Cheers.
Sorry – I dropped the ball on this. The Ts only came with a single tag, which I threw away. I don't recall it bearing much information.

The answer is: pretty heavy compared to most.

upsett1_spaghett1

Reaction score
So many people hype up Buzz Ricksons chinos. Where’s the best place to buy if I am in the US? And any other good chinos with a wider leg I should also be looking at?

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many people hype up Buzz Ricksons chinos. Where’s the best place to buy if I am in the US? And any other good chinos with a wider leg I should also be looking at?
Self Edge

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Black Sign chinos S&S stock look good. Not sure they have many sizes left (can always try the BS Main Lodge via proxy though I guess?)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Reaction score
Real McCoy’s have an army chino with a wide leg. They also have the McQueen chinos, but those are a slimming fit (great, though).

As Mghart pointed out awhile back, Cabourn main line also has some very accommodating chinos.

No reason not to try Buzz Rickson, though. This dad solutes you.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Got mine from here

As for alternatives, my daily driver chino is the Japan Blue Brooklyn Chino which is fairly wide leg though not nearly as much as the '47 Ricksons.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I'm in Canada but always buy BR from Hinoya.. they have a great selection and prompt service + fair prices compared to the international markup on most Toyo gear.. I have the '42 khakis, still have to get them hemmed

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.