• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Beams Plus has WW2-y and post Nam boonie repro-ish things, though I believe they size quite small.

Orslow has the same kinds of choices (Daisy Mae and boonie), and you can find those in a bunch of make ups (this year I think I've seen both in denim, fatigue green, and ecru), and if you are really committed to keeping the sun off you their wide brim is not ******* around.

There's always Engineered Garments (bucket and bucket with many pockets).

I also have an unfulfilled desire for Kapital fishing hats - both the regular and distressed versions of this one haunt my dreams.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Apparently they're increasing costs across the board within the next few seasons to recoup losses from COVID is how I understood it. Gotta buy now while the going is good I suppose.
I'll keep sticking to celluloid/barnstormer/lost&found until it becomes OD.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see what RMC prices actually look like this year in Japan, as buying from US retailers never made much sense anyway. I'm always expecting to see a few hundred to a few thousand yen increase depending on the product but can see them going up significantly more than that for the local japan market. I'll find out in a few months though haha.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The general squeezing out of the middle, as one forum member has been calling it. It does seems that the steady increase in prices has made formerly lower-tier brands eek into mid-tier territory. Not that that applies here, exactly.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beams Plus has WW2-y and post Nam boonie repro-ish things, though I believe they size quite small.

Orslow has the same kinds of choices (Daisy Mae and boonie), and you can find those in a bunch of make ups (this year I think I've seen both in denim, fatigue green, and ecru), and if you are really committed to keeping the sun off you their wide brim is not ******* around.

There's always Engineered Garments (bucket and bucket with many pockets).

I also have an unfulfilled desire for Kapital fishing hats - both the regular and distressed versions of this one haunt my dreams.
Love that first BP one.
Oof, the Orslow ones are expensive and the EG ones are weird!
Luckily the Kapital ones don’t appeal…

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean there are better value propositions for hats out there (Battenwear camp crushers seem to be on sale in a bunch of places and I love mine, the re-enactor cheapros are usually pretty good and always inexpensive, Bronson or similar from China). But these are germane to this thread.

jmiller123

Reaction score
I'm curious how a lot of US based heritage stores operate and if we are in for some changes in the coming years. The prices have gotten to a point where US retail makes no sense for me, baring something it's something I desperately want. Case in point, BlueinGreen sells Resolute 711 jeans for $345, whereas you can buy on BEARS for $190 shipped. I'm aware Iron Heart implemented a pricing change so that US retail isn't undermined by their Japanese retailers.. I wonder if other brands will feel the pressure to do the same. Additionally, how large is the heritage market really? With most people having limited discretionary spending (and those who are interested in $200+ jeans and $300+ shirts even smaller) and many stores carrying the same product which is getting more and more expensive, at what point do people say enough and lose interest all together.

Still not at that point myself, though.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I'm curious how a lot of US based heritage stores operate and if we are in for some changes in the coming years. The prices have gotten to a point where US retail makes no sense for me, baring something it's something I desperately want. Case in point, BlueinGreen sells Resolute 711 jeans for $345, whereas you can buy on BEARS for $190 shipped. I'm aware Iron Heart implemented a pricing change so that US retail isn't undermined by their Japanese retailers.. I wonder if other brands will feel the pressure to do the same. Additionally, how large is the heritage market really? With most people having limited discretionary spending (and those who are interested in $200+ jeans and $300+ shirts even smaller) and many stores carrying the same product which is getting more and more expensive, at what point do people say enough and lose interest all together.

Still not at that point myself, though.
It's a bubble for sure, I have nothing but a hunch that many retailers will feel the squeeze soon or have covertly already started too. The entire market is built on this hypocrisy of "buy fewer things that are built to last" while also fully cashing-in on the season-cycle of fashion. Lots of people are totally cool with that, including myself, but at a certain point I don't need another chambray shirt.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Intrigued in bucket hats, thinking the Tilley T1, any other preferred versions out there? Not Japanese obviously, but there are a few makers from there that make them, yeah?
I have the Pherrows hat that's a remake of the reversible USAAF survival hat. It's great because it's adjustable, held up really well in the jungles and streets of the Philippines!

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I'll be curious to see what RMC prices actually look like this year in Japan, as buying from US retailers never made much sense anyway. I'm always expecting to see a few hundred to a few thousand yen increase depending on the product but can see them going up significantly more than that for the local japan market. I'll find out in a few months though haha.
The Toyo price increase pushed a lot of the jackets into a completely different price tier, RMC will probably be worse imo

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Pherrows hat that's a remake of the reversible USAAF survival hat. It's great because it's adjustable, held up really well in the jungles and streets of the Philippines!
Nice, I hope never to travel to places that are hot enough to actually justify the use of such lids, I just like the style!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jak