• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Arseweazel99

Reaction score
I’m pretty much head to toe as a daily wardrobe. I’ve purposely sold off items that don’t fit in with the aesthetic so that I could streamline my wardrobe into a cohesive look overall.

I’ve gone through several phases over the last 7-8 years from prep, more modern workwear like iron heart, Kapital,etc. I found it too much to try and mix and match pieces so I decided to just lean hard in one direction and for me it works. Don’t really see myself changing much at this point.

I mix and match. All my denim is Nudie Jeans, Chinos are RMC, Chambray shirts are a mix of Japanese brands ABCL, Beamsplus, BuzzRickson, RMC. Then I have Ts and Sweats from RMC, Cushman, MerzB Schwanen, Velva Sheen, National Athletic. Jackets are a mix of vintage and repro. Boots from Red wing. It all fits together nicely.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mix and match with actual vintage and more modern brands. Specifically Kapital, Nicholas Daley, Story MFG, and Tender Co. When I delve into repro it's almost always western/aloha however if I can find a vintage example for less, I will always take the vintage example.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mix and match with actual vintage and more modern brands. Specifically Kapital, Nicholas Daley, Story MFG, and Tender Co. When I delve into repro it's almost always western/aloha however if I can find a vintage example for less, I will always take the vintage example.

Sounds just like me. ?

Arseweazel99

Reaction score
My vintage pieces are some US Army OG107 shirts 1950-1970, Jungle Jackets ERDL and OG107 Vietnam era, and a USN A2 jacket 1968 and a Flyers Jacket 1980. Most of the pre 1960 vintage I have seen on ebay isnt in great shape, so I buy the repros. The OG107 colour goes perfectly with repro gear of the same era. Check out Alessandro Squarzi on Insta for a good example of mixing and matching vintage and repro. That guy has an incredible vintage vault. He is heavily influenced by Steve McQueen and military vintage clothes.

Arseweazel99

Reaction score
My vintage pieces are some US Army OG107 shirts 1950-1970, Jungle Jackets ERDL and OG107 Vietnam era, and a USN A2 jacket 1968 and a Flyers Jacket 1980. Most of the pre 1960 vintage I have seen on ebay isnt in great shape, so I buy the repros. The OG107 colour goes perfectly with repro gear of the same era. Check out Alessandro Squarzi on Insta for a good example of mixing and matching vintage and repro. That guy has an incredible vintage vault. He is heavily influenced by Steve McQueen and military vintage clothes.
Also check out Sanforized on Insta, Max Sardi runs RMC london. No pics on there of him modelling but he sells vintage gear mainly sports/americana as well and it is in good condition, he has some pics of the main man Hiroshi on his profile.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where in and around NYC do people shop for Japanese-style, repro-leaning or curated-buyer ****? There's Front General, Quality Mending Co., Raggedy Threads, 10Ft Single by Stella Dallas, 45 R, 180 the Store, Blue In Green for jeans and some Kapital, Self Edge for Toyo, About Glamour and Tokio 7 for avante garde fashion.

Is that the full list?

Edit:

From blacklight:

• hatchet supply co - kapital/KS/suicoke + all the fake hiking brands
  • nanamica for tnf purple label
  • dsmny
  • if soho + atelier - last remaining avant garde
  • nordstrom (apparently)

Also I'll add Manahatta NYC and C'H'C'M.

Last edited:

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also hit up the various Beacons Closet / Buffalo Exchange locations around the city - while they buy/sell a wider variety than what this thread covers, I've found stuff from high end / obscure Japanese makers on the cheap. I remember finding a few Buzz pieces (two chambrays and a sweatshirt) for $10/pop at a BC - it's just luck of the draw.

Sold the chambrays but my wife still wears the sweatshirt as it was too small for me.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also hit up the various Beacons Closet / Buffalo Exchange locations around the city - while they buy/sell a wider variety than what this thread covers, I've found stuff from high end / obscure Japanese makers on the cheap. I remember finding a few Buzz pieces (two chambrays and a sweatshirt) for $10/pop at a BC - it's just luck of the draw.

Sold the chambrays but my wife still wears the sweatshirt as it was too small for me.

I believe @d4nimal said the same about finding a leather jacket at Beacon's in Williamsburg.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Billyburg location is by far the best - I found a nice Sun Surf shirt there once upon a time, sadly too small as well but

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve found a nice leather jacket at Beacons but I’ve only been to the WBurg Beacons twice (I don’t live in the city). I wouldn’t be surprised if I found one there in the slightest, though. Place seems like a gold mine. Got a Haversack shirt there for like 12 bucks or something once. I like the Buffalo Exchanges too, as the employees have even less idea of what repro is. That’s where I got my Himel for $38 (in Philly). Last week I found this.
1B2F52AC-63FE-4020-A2A4-6F7E78D4DE82.jpeg
8D3FAF77-ABE9-4DE3-878C-04B358AF6197.jpeg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve found a nice leather jacket at Beacons but I’ve only been to the WBurg Beacons twice (I don’t live in the city). I wouldn’t be surprised if I found one there in the slightest, though. Place seems like a gold mine. Got a Haversack shirt there for like 12 bucks or something once. I like the Buffalo Exchanges too, as the employees have even less idea of what repro is. That’s where I got my Himel for $38 (in Philly). Last week I found this. View attachment 1587143 View attachment 1587144

Congrats bud, that's a crazy deal. Can you make the TFL fit work? Iirc they have very wide shoulders, narrow chest and super nipped waist. It was just too slim fit for me...

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In an around Nyc, I can’t think of anything else outside what was listed. I still think repro is not really a popular thing in the US, and I can see why RMC didn’t really take off when it was near BiG.

I knew years ago Hickorees tried to stock freewheelers and I don’t think that did well either.

I’ve basically been buying online via proxy/email ordering since 2017 so I don’t even go into shops anymore.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats bud, that's a crazy deal. Can you make the TFL fit work? Iirc they have very wide shoulders, narrow chest and super nipped waist. It was just too slim fit for me...
Thanks! It’s a 42 and I’m a 37 true so at first it was a little big in the body, shoulders not too bad. I just threw it in a hot soak and dry like a savage and I think it fits much better now. Still have to wear it out though to know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads