• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The iWatch?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/multiple-sources-claim-an-apple-iwatch-is-on-the-way

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...-to-be-developing-a-curved-glass-smart-watch/

In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the company’s explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products. Such a watch would operate on Apple’s iOS platform, two people said, and stand apart from competitors based on the company’s understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't give a **** what it is or how revolutionary it is as long as it boosts apple's share price.

That being said, as a fashion piece, a watch is supposed to be unique and individual to someone. Dunno how I feel seeing legions of people wearing the same exact watch.

I'd try to brand it as something other than a watch.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really Apple, another product that performs the exact same functions.....except this one does it with a curved screen!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really Apple, another product that performs the exact same functions.....except this one does it with a curved screen!

Same product, different form factor. Where is the innovation?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the concept of smart watches that "communicate" with your smartphone, but can't see myself ever wearing one. That's the problem here. A watch is meant to be a type of jewelry. Unless it's related to a sport you are playing or exercise routine then I am generally against all forms of digital watches.

Still if this product comes to be they will sell millions of them. Will be interesting to see what type of features they may implement to differentiate the watch from the pack.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They need to pass on this gimmicky bullshit and get to a workable heads-up display before google.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before you guys all pass judgment too soon, read this article -- there are a lot of really good opportunities to be unlocked with an iWatch:

http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

Written by Bruce Tognazzini, a former human interface designer at Apple. Some pretty neat ideas he proposes.

mike1445

Reaction score
i think this was the next step, Consider how popular that kickstarter was a while back where the guy as just making a wrist strap for the new Nano. now make that a "simple" phone with bluetooth connectivity or as a peripheral piece for your phone to show appointments, weather texts without pulling your phone out of your pocket. you had to see this coming, they had to find another direction for their tech, all their other innovations have been refinements of current products.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be designed and marketed as a wearable computer instead of a "smartwatch?" Easier to convince the public to wear an additional item then replace one with so much heritage and meaning.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of Android watches, mostly cheapo crap though, so let's have a quality iOS one.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They need to pass on this gimmicky bullshit and get to a workable heads-up display before google.

+1000

I don't see it. The smartph....no...the CELL PHONE....has replaced the watch completely for the younger generations. The only ones left who wear watches, wear them as jewelry.

I mean...you think I'm going to buy a Zissou style Vostok diving watch because of its utility? Come on!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Why does my phone need a controller that's attachd to my wrist? That seems completely redundant. If it doesn't replace e iPhone entirely I see it as a fail.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, it doesn't matter how dumb the idea is, if it has an Apple on it, it will make jillions.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why does my phone need a controller that's attachd to my wrist? That seems completely redundant. If it doesn't replace e iPhone entirely I see it as a fail.

As I said, I wouldn't wear one as a replacement for a watch but read the article Greenfrog posted. It presents some great ideas on how this could be a powerful device in our daily lives.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will pass...
They need to bring on the actual Apple TV sets...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics