The iWatch?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by idfnl, Feb 11, 2013.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/multiple-sources-claim-an-apple-iwatch-is-on-the-way

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...-to-be-developing-a-curved-glass-smart-watch/

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't give a shit what it is or how revolutionary it is as long as it boosts apple's share price.

That being said, as a fashion piece, a watch is supposed to be unique and individual to someone. Dunno how I feel seeing legions of people wearing the same exact watch.

I'd try to brand it as something other than a watch.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Really Apple, another product that performs the exact same functions.....except this one does it with a curved screen!

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Same product, different form factor. Where is the innovation?

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I love the concept of smart watches that "communicate" with your smartphone, but can't see myself ever wearing one. That's the problem here. A watch is meant to be a type of jewelry. Unless it's related to a sport you are playing or exercise routine then I am generally against all forms of digital watches.

Still if this product comes to be they will sell millions of them. Will be interesting to see what type of features they may implement to differentiate the watch from the pack.

6. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

They need to pass on this gimmicky bullshit and get to a workable heads-up display before google.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Before you guys all pass judgment too soon, read this article -- there are a lot of really good opportunities to be unlocked with an iWatch:

http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

Written by Bruce Tognazzini, a former human interface designer at Apple. Some pretty neat ideas he proposes.

8. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

i think this was the next step, Consider how popular that kickstarter was a while back where the guy as just making a wrist strap for the new Nano. now make that a "simple" phone with bluetooth connectivity or as a peripheral piece for your phone to show appointments, weather texts without pulling your phone out of your pocket. you had to see this coming, they had to find another direction for their tech, all their other innovations have been refinements of current products.

9. Jr Mouse

Shouldn't this be designed and marketed as a wearable computer instead of a "smartwatch?" Easier to convince the public to wear an additional item then replace one with so much heritage and meaning.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

There's plenty of Android watches, mostly cheapo crap though, so let's have a quality iOS one.

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

+1000

I don't see it. The smartph....no...the CELL PHONE....has replaced the watch completely for the younger generations. The only ones left who wear watches, wear them as jewelry.

I mean...you think I'm going to buy a Zissou style Vostok diving watch because of its utility? Come on!

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Why does my phone need a controller that's attachd to my wrist? That seems completely redundant. If it doesn't replace e iPhone entirely I see it as a fail.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Of course, it doesn't matter how dumb the idea is, if it has an Apple on it, it will make jillions.

14. Jr Mouse

As I said, I wouldn't wear one as a replacement for a watch but read the article Greenfrog posted. It presents some great ideas on how this could be a powerful device in our daily lives.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I will pass...
    They need to bring on the actual Apple TV sets...