• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Ivy League" Style...

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Following on from the ideas in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=26800

I'm interested to know if there are any here who are interested in traditional American natural-shoulder tailoring shorn of the 'Trad' baggage that it's picked up on one small Internet sub-forum.
The clothing usually described as the Ivy League style - well cut, well fitted sack suits and jackets mainly accented with accessories in keeping with 'the look' such as the button-down collared shirt.
The clothing that is America's unique contribution to world tailoring and an important part of the heritage of menswear in the U.S.

I'm hoping now that some steam has been let off regarding the "Trad" take on this style of dress (A take that owes much to the social aspirations of one young man who knew little of the history of the style) we can move forward in appraising what the look has to offer as 'just clothes'.

Well cut navy blazers, neatly tailored khakis, softly constructed suits and sports coats with minimal waist suppression, quality Scottish knitwear - items of clothing like that.
Real clothes for real people.
Not the wardrobe of those who seek to live within a Ralph Lauren advertising campaign fantasy world.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done well, it is a fine look. However, I am not sure I see why it is anymore real or valid than a well put together Ralph Lauren look or a well coordinated slim tailored Italian approach. As with almost all clothing, within certain boundaries, it is the coordination of fabrics, colors, and fit that makes the look and not necessarily the style. For myself, I some days wear Isaia or Zegna and other days BB grey slacks with a BB blue blazer - it depends largely on the mood and the occasion.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
I don't think the look is any more real or valid than other looks but as real and valid as them.
Ivy has an image problem which I'd love to see it overcome. In my book it is perfectly good style of dress. For others it is loaded with all this "Trad" baggage of recent manufacture.
I'd like the style to be appreciated just for what it is once more and not perverted and vulgarised by those who like to play dress-up Brahmin.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Larry-

I think I read your post as implying that it was more real. In any event, no big deal either way - I certainly agree that it is no less "real," whatever that means. However, I fail to understand why you are so concerned about the preferences of a handful of individuals on another board. The so-called "trad"ites represent a miniscule fraction of an infinitesimally small segment of the broader society.

The image problem, to the extent that there is one, arises from the fact that in a society where, if one wears khakis and a button-down shirt, the vast majority of fellow Americans asume one is over-dressed!

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Larry-

I think I read your post as implying that it was more real. In any event, no big deal either way - I certainly agree that it is no less "real," whatever that means. However, I fail to understand why you are so concerned about the preferences of a handful of individuals on another board. The so-called "trad"ites represent a miniscule fraction of an infinitesimally small segment of the broader society.

The image problem, to the extent that there is one, arises from the fact that in a society where, if one wears khakis and a button-down shirt, the vast majority of fellow Americans asume one is over-dressed!

Oh that I had your level-headed nature!

If you care about something, you care about it.
It's a bit of a handicap...
I'd go over 'there' and ask 'them' these questions but they keep banning me when I do.
smile.gif

It's a bit of a pest...

I suspect "Trad" can't be defended in debate because when you try to look at the construct it just falls apart. It's just a phoney name given to a re-write of the Official Preppy Handbook.
And in the meantime everytime a "Trad" posts the style looks ever more vulgar and debased.

As I say... If you care about something, you care about it.

Happy New Year.

Y.Grad.

Reaction score
Count me in I guess.
A point of view on Trad, sorry the Ivy League style, that isn't class-centric and all about exclusion would make a welcome change. Also a discussion of classic American clothing would make a change from all that English stuff you get "over there".

But keep your sense of humor, yes?

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Always mate.

'Cos the joke with "Trad" is that all the experts are muppets.
They know...

... Nothing.

All you ever see over 'there' are the clueless congratulating each other.
I wouldn't give them 5 minutes in London.

But this you know - (Name withheld) -
Y.Grad? I LOVE that! Which YMCA was it? SURBITON?

Walk On.

(Sonny Terry & Brownie McG.?)

Wonder Boy Davey.

And you owe me!

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean
Always mate.

They know...

... Nothing.

Walk On.

Wonder Boy Davey.

And you owe me!

Did you start this thread just to bash the participants of another forum?

How sad.

Happy New Year!

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space

How sad.

Happy New Year!

Ahhhh C'mon. It made my crew happy.

AAAC has very little knowledge of the Ivy League style.
Styleforum has very little interest in the Ivy League style.

... Little point in testing the water at The London Lounge I should think.

It's just amazing that the American clothing forums have so little knowledge or interest in their own home-grown American tailoring style.

End of the day the jokes on me - I've been trolled by a bloke in my spare room... And I've got my suspicions about 'Dormouse' too...

There really is very little informed posting about traditional American tailoring on the whole of the net. If anybody really knows about it it's the Japanese these days. London has an Ivy cult and America has... 'Trad'.
It's your heritage you know, not ours...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Funny you're throwing it all away.

LL

pkincy

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I visited Carroll & Co in Beverly Hills for the first time last week and felt as if I had walked in Muse's in Atlanta in the 60's but with a bit of updated style. Wonderful quality, traditional Ivy League colors and fabrics but done by Oxxford and whoever does Carroll & Cos house items.

I felt much more comfortable than if I walked in Cable Car clothiers in San Francisco which is simply stodgy.

So Ivy League lives but not as a religion anymore other than the traditionalists that are practicing their own renaissance of the Ivy League style.

Don't forget that style can have many viewpoints and if others don't share our sense of whatever style is, it is still no reason to denigrate them.

Perry

Man In Space

Reaction score
Ahhhh C'mon. It made my crew happy.

AAAC has very little knowledge of the Ivy League style.
Styleforum has very little interest in the Ivy League style.

... Little point in testing the water at The London Lounge I should think.

It's just amazing that the American clothing forums have so little knowledge or interest in their own home-grown American tailoring style.

End of the day the jokes on me - I've been trolled by a bloke in my spare room... And I've got my suspicions about 'Dormouse' too...

There really is very little informed posting about traditional American tailoring on the whole of the net. If anybody really knows about it it's the Japanese these days. London has an Ivy cult and America has... 'Trad'.
It's your heritage you know, not ours...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Funny you're throwing it all away.

LL

Please enlighten us on the true Ivy League style and explain how everyone else has it so wrong.

Thank you.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your posts, such as the one below, are often incomprehensible.

That said, I think the trad or Ivy or whatever you want to call it, is still a valid form of dress. I think like every regionalism it is doomed to disappear in the homogeneousness that consumer society seems demand but until then I take comfort in its existence.

Always mate.

They know...

... Nothing.

Walk On.

Wonder Boy Davey.

And you owe me!

Dormouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space

How sad.

Happy New Year!

It is unfortunate that they banish so many wonderful posters.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dormouse
It is unfortunate that they banish so many wonderful posters.

That's a first. Other than FNB, who seems to be a reasonable chap, I cannot think of anyone I would rather have over here. WHy are we talking about AA forum politics, anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics