• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Ivy League" Style...

Dormouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
That's a first. Other than FNB, who seems to be a reasonable chap, I cannot think of anyone I would rather have over here. WHy are we talking about AA forum politics, anyway?

I enjoyed the postings of Shooman, LabelKing, FNB and Horace among others. And of course, myself who shall remain anonymous. But yes, I will refrain from assailing the Trad Palace.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
That's a first. Other than FNB, who seems to be a reasonable chap, I cannot think of anyone I would rather have over here.

The hundreds of members who belong to both forums?

Please, every time I visit AAAC I see the exact same posts written by the same authors as I see here. The only difference is that AAAC has a contingent of Ivy fans while SF has its street wear fans.

At any rate, what I find humorous is that I have almost never seen an AAAC thread bashing SF -- some posts scattered here and there -- but there are probably dozens in the SF archives bashing AAAC. Reasonableness doesn't seem to have a home here.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2015.jpg

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Interestingly enough, I visited Carroll & Co in Beverly Hills for the first time last week and felt as if I had walked in Muse's in Atlanta in the 60's but with a bit of updated style. Wonderful quality, traditional Ivy League colors and fabrics but done by Oxxford and whoever does Carroll & Cos house items.

I felt much more comfortable than if I walked in Cable Car clothiers in San Francisco which is simply stodgy.

So Ivy League lives but not as a religion anymore other than the traditionalists that are practicing their own renaissance of the Ivy League style.

Don't forget that style can have many viewpoints and if others don't share our sense of whatever style is, it is still no reason to denigrate them.

Perry

Wise words & intersting about Carroll & Co.
Trad teasing is just a low-brow sport... I know I shouldn't.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
Please enlighten us on the true Ivy League style and explain how everyone else has it so wrong.

Thank you.

The real Ivy style is huge, sprawling & complex.
Trad with its 'curriculum' of dress is a sliver of what it's all about.
I did a 'The Truth about Trad' thread over on FNB. It's purely an internet construct. Even the name is a fake.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
At any rate, what I find humorous is that I have almost never seen an AAAC thread bashing SF -- some posts scattered here and there -- but there are probably dozens in the SF archives bashing AAAC. Reasonableness doesn't seem to have a home here.

Just my POV but I think that AAAC's "reasonableness" is a rather dull lack of debate. I've popped up over here because it seems to be the forum where you get more healthy cut & thrust in discussions. I'm fully expecting the odd bloody nose in the process but that's often the nature of a conversation worth having.
(As I say just my POV).
Oh - and the incomprehensible post probabaly should have been a PM to my good mate "Y.Grad." who was pulling my leg under a phoney name. It happens.
smile.gif

Enough fun (for me) Trad taunting. I'm still interested in why the richness & complexity of America's home grown style is so rarely mentioned on the net and why we have a very 'cartoon' & basic manifestation of the style instead.
Lack of interest? Lack of knowledge? A combination of the two I guess.
Such is life!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean
The real Ivy style is huge, sprawling & complex.
Trad with its 'curriculum' of dress is a sliver of what it's all about.. . .

This is spot on. There is too much talk these days about a limited, aspirational sort of dress, without proper though to the wide range of styles the "Ivy" look was meant to encompass. More power to you, for breaking open some of the more hidebound boxes people have been locked in.

Eagle

Reaction score
I am always amazed by those who allow themselves to get overly exercised, regarding competing styles of clothing. Having worn OCBD's, chinos, and penny loafers/boat shoes (pretty much) all of my life (and many have concluded I'm approaching old age!), I simply can't understand getting so disturbed over a conversation about "Ivy League" style. Where's the love(!)?
boxing[1].gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a new web site devoted to the Ivy League look over at http://www.ivy-style.com/, started by one of the cats who runs Dandyism.net.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
There are bits of truth in every board and thread mentioned here. The reality, there is no way forward for trad. It uses concepts of original items of a regional style and makes them fashion. One thing we can all agree on (I hope) is that fashions die. I say LET IT. Meanwhile, those of us who either grew up with or took as our own, the style behind the movement should continue to do so. Wear the full range of the style, including those key pieces that when worn together are costume, because they can be used correctly as well. People will notice, trust me. The fashionistas will move on to something new, and American-WASP-ivy-trad-whatsit will be what it has always been; an original, regional style enjoyed by many.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads