• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Italian Travel Thread

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got mobbed for photos in San Marco this past weekend.

PXL_20230220_212031597.jpg

PXL_20230220_212155002.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whilst watching a travel show, we saw that you could rent a boat for a week and wander around the Aeolian islands. We looked at Dream Horizons - their boats are generally for 7-10 people, whilst there will only be 3 of us. Facilities will be fairly spartan, and you'd probably not be cooking on the boat. Videos make it seem idyllic, playing in clear calm waters. I'm just wondering if it will end up quite choppy, and if there'll actually be a million other boats and it'd be a quite cramped. Anyone with any experience please?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whilst watching a travel show, we saw that you could rent a boat for a week and wander around the Aeolian islands. We looked at Dream Horizons - their boats are generally for 7-10 people, whilst there will only be 3 of us. Facilities will be fairly spartan, and you'd probably not be cooking on the boat. Videos make it seem idyllic, playing in clear calm waters. I'm just wondering if it will end up quite choppy, and if there'll actually be a million other boats and it'd be a quite cramped. Anyone with any experience please?
:wow::thumbs-up: Looks fantastic! It's been almost 25 years, but we took a hydrofoil over from Milazzo to Stromboli for a week. It was mid-September and had beautiful weather. We were on a commercial ferry (and are not yachtsmen) so I really don't have an impression of boat traffic, but it was not particularly busy - most likely because summer crowds were clearing out. I'd say it was rather sleepy, but Stromboli is out at the end of the line. I know one of them (Panarea?) is an A-list destination and I'm sure gets buzzing during Ferragosto.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We abandoned this plan for a week on a boat, we'll do the conventional way for the Aeolian islands and get a boat cruise on one day. We'll be doing a few days in Taormina (Taormina itself, Gole and Etna) and then down to Syracuse/ Ortigia for a couple of days (with Cavagrande del Cassibile) before Noto. Not sure what to do specifically in the Noto area, maybe some days trips to Ragusa/ Modica where we've stayed before. Then back up to Catania to fly out.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sicilia is a big place (largest island in the Mediterranean, I think) - we've circumnavigated the whole thing in a week & never really touched the interior. Last visit was over winter holidays a few years ago and stayed in a house in Brucoli - just toured up & down the east coast - plenty to do & see

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, it's our third trip to Sicily and we've not really done much in the central zone.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gus @mossrockss @gnatty8 et al . luv u guys. I knw this thread will deliver. Either early May 2023 or early Oct2023. No kids. Just me and wifey.
Let me digest all the suggestions and will ask for more details. Might DM. Thnx again
Quick update if it matters to thread readers:+) , finally decided. 3 nights in Rome, train to Firenze which will serve as our base for 10 days driving and getting lost around Val D'Orcia, Arrezo, Siena, Volterra etc. Also planning a day trip by train to Bologna.
- Looking for eat recos in Roma near Trevi; so far we have Trattoria Della Stampa and Colline Emiliane
- Firenze (L'Orologio hotel - thnx @Gus) ; we have Sostanza (last time we visited was 2007, still good?), planning Trattoria Ruggero (in Oltrarno), and Trattotia Camillo.and Ristorante il Profeta (thnx @mossrockss)
- Any suggestion for Brunello wineries? We've been to Gattavecchi and La Grotta b4.
- Are Scuola del Cuoio and Lorenzo Villoresi still worth a visit? im afraid taking my wife here and she'll go bat sh** crazy shopping. I know for sure we'll visit SMN perfumery as she like that place. may try to hit Liverano and Il Micio if we can.

@gnatty8 ill try to convince my wife that visiting some tattoo parlors should b part of the itinerary. never say never lol .

Any other recos are welcome. Thnx in advance

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got back from vacation over the weekend that included Naples and a quick stop in Ventimiglia (on the French-Italy border about an hour from Nice). Will upload some pictures soon.

robw

Reaction score
I hope I am posting in the right thread, The wife and I will be in Italy for about 10 days next month (mid-October). Itinerary is basically Milan to Venice to Rome. MY SF appropriate question is how to pack and dress. We don't have any dress-up occasions planned, but obviously will be hitting up restaurants bars etc. I don't want to look touristy and I want to pack light. The weather seems like it can range from warm to cool to wet.

Any suggestions?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I am posting in the right thread, The wife and I will be in Italy for about 10 days next month (mid-October). Itinerary is basically Milan to Venice to Rome. MY SF appropriate question is how to pack and dress. We don't have any dress-up occasions planned, but obviously will be hitting up restaurants bars etc. I don't want to look touristy and I want to pack light. The weather seems like it can range from warm to cool to wet.

Any suggestions?
We have been visiting those cities over the last 20 years in the summer and late fall. Late Sept to late-October is a wonderful time of year. A touristy look will be cargo shorts, t-shirts and sport logo apparel. You can go to almost anywhere with a smart casual style and fit in well. And, if your going to 3 cities packing light makes sense.
October plan on several days of rain, cool but not cold and some warm sunny days. Here is what I would wear while traveling and packing in a small in-cabin roll-on and under seat bag (avoiding checking bags and easy when taking trains)

Medium weight sport coat or blazer
4 Collared cotton shirts (too late for linen)
2 Long Sleeve Polos (that look good by themselves or under your sport coat) or sub with 2 collared shirts
1 pair of jeans
2 pairs of chinos
Lightweight sweater
Loafers
Nice sneakers
Lightweight scarf with colorful pattern
Travel size umbrella

Choose your best fitting clothing and colors that will all mix and match for versatility. If you find you need anything the good news is that you're in Italy with wonderful shopping! Have fun.

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in those three cities plus a few more roughly the same time for just shy of 3 weeks. I pack in a tom bihn tri star (22x14x9 ish) and have no checked bags.
1 blue blazer, jeans, nylon cargo pants. 1 dress shirt for mass/opera. Every else some version of dry wick that can be hand washed. If I have to buy something thats part of the fun. Even with my Ipad my bag is right at 10 pounds.Does take some discipline but your back will thank you

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in those three cities plus a few more roughly the same time for just shy of 3 weeks. I pack in a tom bihn tri star (22x14x9 ish) and have no checked bags.
1 blue blazer, jeans, nylon cargo pants. 1 dress shirt for mass/opera. Every else some version of dry wick that can hand washed. If I have to buy something thats part of fun. Even with my Ipad my bag is right at 10 pounds.
Does take some discipline but your back will thank you
With respect, I don't understand the contemporary obsession with packing light. The main problem with carry-on bags is shoes--just one pair of loafers leaves scant room for a choice of sport coats, trousers and dress shirts to say nothing of toiletries. For a two-week trip? I check a bag.

Full-size luggage today is easy to roll around as it has...rollers. Here in Italy, trains have a place for them. Is it about the fee? It's not that much for the freedom to pack what you want and not wash socks in the hotel bidet every night.

Lost luggage? Most checked bags arrive with their owners, despite reports to the contrary; by the time you get through immigration control, your bag will be at the carousel waiting for you. Still worried? Toss in an inexpensive tracker so you can locate a lost bag quickly.

Best of all, once you've already paid to check one bag, you can often gate check your carry-on for free, leaving you blissfully free to stroll through airports unencumbered.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a trip late next month around Portugal making multiple transfers by plan, car, boat and have elected to travel light. We then go to Paris and will be remaining in one location for a week, which will require a very different wardrobe so we are using a luggage transfer service to send ahead to our hotel two full size cases. So, the best of both worlds.

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 , just the Paris portion, will see young Calaf sing nessun dorma at the Bastille our last night there. My first vacation since Covid, I'm pretty much ready.

Reactions: Gus

robw

Reaction score
For us it is mainly about avoiding the delay and hassle of checking in baggage and especially, baggage claim. I am not especially militant about it, and have gone from on many trips with lots of large cases aplenty but if i can avoid that, i’d like to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads