• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The issue with narrow pants

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I can appreciate the slimming effect of slender trouser legs, but there's a drawback to their being too narrow. The front crease does not fall neatly, but tends to bunch up in front of the shins or knees as the fabric clings to the leg. Here are a few examples, starting with President Hollande:

By contrast, the trousers in the following picture are tapered and trim, but they are full enough to fall more cleanly, with a crisp front crease.

Last edited:

konda

Reaction score
Sweatpant vibes in last photo. No go. Don't use long johns or knee high socks with narrow pants -> problem solved.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I like trim pants, as long as the front crease falls neatly. The crease is bunched up in Craig's pants, and I doubt the issue is his wearing long johns or thigh length socks.

atoms

Reaction score
Being a skinny man, I wear narrow pants. But I understand where the OP is coming from. I notice, especially with my cotton pants that are thinner and stretch easier at the knee. That said, I am happy to trade that problem for the alternative. The alternative opens up a whole other can of worms; balance between upper and lower body.

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Interesting observation from Colin Heywood of Anderson and Sheppard: their trousers traditionally averaged 21 inches (10.5 inches measured on one side) at the knee, and 18 inches (9 inches measured on one side) at the leg opening: http://www.savilerow-style.com/issue018/style04.htm A friend who's had clothes made at Henry Poole also had trousers with those measurements.

However, Heywood notes that a 20 inch (10 inch on one side) knee with a 17 inch (8.5 inch on one side) leg opening is becoming more popular for the clients at A&S. Of course, we're talking about averages here, with the actual measurements varying with the size of the waist, thighs, calves, etc.

Last edited:

konda

Reaction score
Even a 17" leg opening is large. In my opinion pants like that are not really even tapered and only fit a more robust man. Personally I have a 15.75" leg opening at max on my pants. A 17" opening would flap around like Batman's cape. Then again em gents 50+. I understand them not wearing trousers with a tighter fit.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta be smoking some next level **** if you think DoW's pants are trim... They are baggy pants by modern day standards, especially for a very trim figure such as DoW.

That said, fullness of pants should be a function of rise; higher the rise the fuller pants need to be to drape. As to the leg opening width, it should be dependent on the fullness of the pants.

Or just wear flood pants #menswear style disregarding your figure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads