• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The invisible bottom button look....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hi all

This was raised but not answered in an earlier thread, but with the proliferation of three button suits with no bottom buttons (ie two button suit with extremely high button stance) - how should these be worn?

Buttoned as per a two button (top only) or buttoned as a three button, either with both done up or just the bottom in lieu of a 'middle' button?

Is there a right and wrong here?

Matt

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This was raised but not answered in an earlier thread, but with the proliferation of three button suits with no bottom buttons (ie two button suit with extremely high button stance) - how should these be worn?
Not at all.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to say not at all either, but then again if you can find a way to make it look good or are comfy wearing it then you should. But i would have to agree with previous posts and that not at all, have yet to see it look good.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is just a single button jacket and, therefore, a very different animal. Nice waist suppresion.

Tyto

Reaction score
I can't find the thread, but there was a discussion a couple of months back on AA about this--both the Duke of Windsor (as shown by Smooth) and Cary Grant wore this type of jacket, and Fellows had also illustrated a couple of them in Apparel Arts.

I think they look sharp, if the buttons are placed high enough and the front of the skirt cuts away a bit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A lot of the ones the duke Windsor wore were different -- very odd. They were two button coats; the top button was too high to be the waist button on a "normal" jacket, and the bottom button was too low (but not as low as the bottom button on a standard 2-button coat). Where there "should" have been a waist button, there was nothing. Generally, he buttoned his at the bottom.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of the ones the duke Windsor wore were different -- very odd. They were two button coats; the top button was too high to be the waist button on a "normal" jacket, and the bottom button was too low (but not as low as the bottom button on a standard 2-button coat). Where there "should" have been a waist button, there was nothing. Generally, he buttoned his at the bottom.
Well, we hardly the Duke are we not? Who honestly was going to contradict him anyways?

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads