• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The invisible bottom button look....

Reaction score
Hi all

This was raised but not answered in an earlier thread, but with the proliferation of three button suits with no bottom buttons (ie two button suit with extremely high button stance) - how should these be worn?

Buttoned as per a two button (top only) or buttoned as a three button, either with both done up or just the bottom in lieu of a 'middle' button?

Is there a right and wrong here?

Matt

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This was raised but not answered in an earlier thread, but with the proliferation of three button suits with no bottom buttons (ie two button suit with extremely high button stance) - how should these be worn?
Not at all.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to say not at all either, but then again if you can find a way to make it look good or are comfy wearing it then you should. But i would have to agree with previous posts and that not at all, have yet to see it look good.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is just a single button jacket and, therefore, a very different animal. Nice waist suppresion.

Tyto

Reaction score
I can't find the thread, but there was a discussion a couple of months back on AA about this--both the Duke of Windsor (as shown by Smooth) and Cary Grant wore this type of jacket, and Fellows had also illustrated a couple of them in Apparel Arts.

I think they look sharp, if the buttons are placed high enough and the front of the skirt cuts away a bit.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of the ones the duke Windsor wore were different -- very odd. They were two button coats; the top button was too high to be the waist button on a "normal" jacket, and the bottom button was too low (but not as low as the bottom button on a standard 2-button coat). Where there "should" have been a waist button, there was nothing. Generally, he buttoned his at the bottom.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of the ones the duke Windsor wore were different -- very odd. They were two button coats; the top button was too high to be the waist button on a "normal" jacket, and the bottom button was too low (but not as low as the bottom button on a standard 2-button coat). Where there "should" have been a waist button, there was nothing. Generally, he buttoned his at the bottom.
Well, we hardly the Duke are we not? Who honestly was going to contradict him anyways?

Jon.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.