• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ineffability of a Black Label Suit.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not ashamed to say it.

I went shopping these past few weeks and tried on almost every suit on the market.

From Isaia, Zegna to Kiton, from Etro to Paul Smith and Prada, even a Purple Label, Black Fleece and a BB Fitz thrown in.

The Paul Smith suits had too wide a chest, the Etro was nice, but seemed a tad but unsubstantial and Zara-esque, the Zegna was amazing, but a Trofeo Silk grey with purple windowpane and Peak Lapels seemed too much and too flashy a suit to wear more than a few times, though, if the price is right, it will be mine.

I own a Fitz and it seems somewhat retroish dowdy.

So, today I bought this Blue pinstriped Black Label suit linked below. It was a 44r (I own the same suit in a 46R in a light grey pinstripe and it's too big and roomy, must get it tailored and keep on my diet.)

I took it home from the Ralph Store and tried it on and then tired on the Prada suit I bought two weeks ago.

While the Prada was better than fine - a wonderful textured dark grey, with a longer body, higher button stance and slimmer pants, it will look great on a date, or to an art opening, or at a dinner with some Chelsea boots and a perfect white shirt, it was a suit that I have always wanted. That classic modern Prada cut.

But, friends, it wasn't sublime and classic the way the Black Label was.

The Black Label was close to perfect off the peg. Perfect button stance, perfect fit, just needs a few tweaks and it will be my dream blue pinstripe. I keep trying to get away from RLBL, but somehow, I am drawn back. Something I imagine that will be a classic, yet sui generis cut.

When I go MTM, I know my silhouette.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats - I'm looking forward to getting my RLBL suit soon as well. Can't wait!
biggrin.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i completely agree with you. hopefully you got a killer discount on it as well. i myself passed up some really good prices on an isaia and a kiton suit to buy that very suit.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the body, of course. RLBL fits me great, but Paul Smith and Lanvin fit me better yet. And even TB is good

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i completely agree with you. hopefully you got a killer discount on it as well. i myself passed up some really good prices on an isaia and a kiton suit to buy that very suit.
Great deal, I can't believe they had one in my size, so close to my house and work.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
Depends on the body, of course. RLBL fits me great, but Paul Smith and Lanvin fit me better yet. And even TB is good

Lanvin fits me great, but what I saw at barneys this season didn't do anything for me, I may need to go back for one more try. I did love the Black fleece suit and will get one, one day. The one I tried on was too heavy for California. Does the TB and BF fit the same?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You inspired me to wear my BL navy pinstripe today. With a white shirt and a narrow BB #1 tie in yellow/white/navy.

EDIT: But I admit that when I first saw this thread, I thought it was about black suits.
plain.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Does the TB and BF fit the same?

Great find on the RLBL suit! I'm seriously considering one for my next suit purchase.

And as far as your question, the answer is not quite - but still decently close enough. To elaborate, TB fits like a TB. The BF version fits like a more marketable suit. BF is wider throughout with (in my observations) a slightly bigger chest, shoulders, waist, sleeve width, jacket length, etc. Some of these differences are slight, mind you. While BF also uses TB's 0-5 sizing, I have to buy a 0 in BF vs. a 1 in TB. Right off the rack, you'd probably notice a small difference between the two. If you want the full TB look, I'd get a TB, but the BF is an excellent look in and of itself, and it's a great medium if the Fitz line is too boring but regular TB is a bit too extreme.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed to conclude that BL is just not a good fit for me. My shoulders don't agree with the slimness of the BL cut. I spent a good 20 minutes recently trying on various 40R's, which other than for the shoulders, were a decent fit. I moved onto 42R and the shoulders were good, but then the rest of the silhouette was "˜off' (and frankly, I didn't want to bother with tailoring). In that regards, I'm slightly envious of those of you where BL fits well off the peg.

So I'll need to continue to just bargain hunt Purple Labels....

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the Black Label suits aren't exactly perfect in my mind I like them a great deal. They're a very good fit for me and the style is quite versatile. Definitely gets my recommendation.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<sigh> would love to find a discounted RLBL 52L(US) in a blue pinstripe...
cry.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're very cool suits.

Annoyingly, they don't quite fit me the way I'd like (RLPL and - sometimes - Polo work better for me). But I like their style.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black Labels are my favorite suits - I just pray that they make a model with more natural shoulders.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They never fit me right. Either the shoulders are too wide on the 38R or the 36R is much too tight everywhere, but the shoulders fit. Damn Black Label. However if i find a 38R at an incredible discount i may purchase one.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Black Labels are my favorite suits - I just pray that they make a model with more natural shoulders.

A slightly less built shoulder would be great. But, I think the Black Label aesthetic is decidedly "sharp", so I don't know if they'd ever do it.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only suit besides Gucci and Etro that fit me perfect OTR (well almost perfect, dont really need any touch ups but I always like to alter a bit)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads