• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ikire Jones Appreciation Thread

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ikire lays it down, the road that I must follow.

Over the years, you develop relationships with online contacts after seeing each other for so long on so many different venues. Wale, who runs the fantastic blog lessgentlemen, has been an eFriend of mine for a long time now. When he contacted me a few months ago to let me know that he was starting a line of his own, I couldn’t have been more happy for him. What I didnt know, was that he was as talented as he is nice.

Ikire Jones, his new line of accessories and ready to wear, is based off of a strong African influence. It incorporates bold, vibrant colors of the region, and has some very unique imagery. I recently purchased my first item, a handkerchief entitles “New Lagos”, a stunning display of browns and blues, punctuated by strong reds. The wool/silk blend feels like paper thin cashmere, and the hand rolled edges rival some of the best I have seen on a square. The quality is as strong as the imagery and colors here, all hand made in Macclesfield. I cant wait to get this in a pocket, truly. The blend of colors used here will be great with most anything. Its one thing to make a pretty pocket square, but to make one that looks great in the pocket with all colors interplaying with each other is another.

My friend Derek over at Die, Workwear! recently wrote about the beauty of Rubinacci pocket squares and the same theory in this great article. I think that if he were to rehash that article with Ikire Jones included, you would find the same results.

Wale, of course, if you follow #menswear, has been a presence for years and is his own best model. The Ikire Jones site is full of slick, rich photography, and gorgeous page layouts featuring him in his wares. While we all cant be as photogenic as he is, these products work on most anyone who appreciates color and pattern. Not only that, but he puts a lot of vintage photos from the African region that inspire the patterns on his blog. Its quite interesting to see them and how they inspire his work today.

I strongly suggest picking up one of these squares, I know Im already working on the next.

You can visit Wale’s blog at www.lessgentlemen.com, and you can shop the collection at www.ikirejones.com.

Last edited:

Syeknom

Reaction score
Huge fan of the concept, website and the products - they're so full of personality and life.

Looking forward to ordering a pocket square from you in the future, but I've banned myself from any more pocket squares for the time being.
biggrin.gif

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My New Lagos square is out for delivery! Just a note that I really appreciate the concept of creating a themed pocket square that isn't European but that also plays with the tradition of European themed pocket squares, in this case by referencing an invented future rather than an idealized past. Also, it looks great in photos. Well done!

jchosko

Reaction score
When I checked in at Ikire Jones on the day of the launch it was definitely the pocket squares that caught my attention the most...Also, great pics Spoo!

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My New Lagos square is out for delivery! Just a note that I really appreciate the concept of creating a themed pocket square that isn't European but that also plays with the tradition of European themed pocket squares, in this case by referencing an invented future rather than an idealized past. Also, it looks great in photos. Well done!

Post pics when you get it! Im wearing mine tomorrow, I think.

When I checked in at Ikire Jones on the day of the launch it was definitely the pocket squares that caught my attention the most...Also, great pics Spoo!

:slayer:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Post pics when you get it! Im wearing mine tomorrow, I think.
:slayer:

First things first: the logo. It's a little known fact that UC Berkeley keeps a pack of hyenas at a research facility in the Berkeley hills. I had the good fortune to visit the compound and observe them from the safety of the other side of a tall fence. Things everyone needs to know about hyenas:

1. They're bigger than you think.
  2. They're faster than you think.
  3. They watch you back.
  4. They eat cow femurs like carrot sticks. Let that one marinade for a couple of minutes.

So, a logo with a guy walking a hyena on a leash? :badass:

A nice card inside the box.

I have a number of Drake's wool/silk blend squares. I like them a lot because of the texture, the effect of the texture on the colors, and the soft folds. This one is comparable in the quality of material and workmanship. The print is as nice in person as in photos, with an abundance of interesting details.

Here are some horrible selfless. I lost the natural light before I could take them, and I suck at them anyway, so I shouldn't blame the light. I tried a few different puffs, including :foo: and a crazy stuff at the end. (I will not be offended or surprised if Ikire Jones sends me a C&D/takedown letter.)

In conclusion, this square is for you if one or more of the following applies:

1. You've made a deep study of European colonization and independence movements.
  2. You've read and enjoyed Transmetropolitan.
  3. You like and can have nice things.

Last edited:

Syeknom

Reaction score
Quote:
Please stop tempting me!

Looks really great (and very useable) when worn, thanks for posting that.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice piece on Philly.com about the brand and the people behind it.

I'm particularly intrigued by the Miller jacket:

Anyone own one or another of the jackets from the line and want to offer his thoughts on it?

I'd also be interested to hear more about F/W 14 if there are details that you can share.

Last edited:

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Frank,
As I mentioned to Frank via PM, anyone in the Philadelphia Center City area who is interested in our work is welcome to check out our goods in person. We are currently hosting a Trunk Show in the Commonwealth Proper (www.commonwealthproper.com) showroom until the end of the World Cup. Commonwealth is located near the corner of 19th/Chestnut (entrance on 19th Street). Just ring the doorbell and someone will let you up. They also have tons of whiskey/beer so if you're having one of those work days, this might be exactly what you need.

Really happy about the Philly.com article. It's always nice when your city takes notice.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm in for the Miller (and a scarf...). W.O.E. estimated 10 business days until shipping. Sounds pretty go to me for MTO. Stay tuned for some pics in the wild.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Popover photo shoot showing up on Instagram and Tumblr...

Looks promising.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads