1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The ignorance of others

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

What, the hell, Horace. If you've been here longer, you'll find out that LAGuy is one of our most esteemed members with his insight into streetwear. You're the one who sounds like an ass with this comment, and your previous post about Italian clothes.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

That sounds like a good way to decrease and alienate your customer base... i guess rudimentary business sense and exclusive old boys' club don't necessarily go hand in hand.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

(Horace @ 19 Oct. 2004, 6:34) You're a jumped, pretentious phony. You got what you deserved. If you want someone to bow and scrape to you, go somewhere else. I'd like to see you jump the over the counter. We'll see who gets tossed out on his ass.
    What, the hell, Horace. If you've been here longer, you'll find out that LAGuy is one of our most esteemed members with his insight into streetwear. You're the one who sounds like an ass with this comment, and your previous post about Italian clothes.
    I would leave him alone, to be honest, I don't think it's worth arguing against such repugnant drivel.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

True, even if he does frequently threaten to thrash the rude or overdressed [​IMG] Davidson must have really raised his ire, usually he just wants to kick em in the rocks [​IMG] (the threats are figurative of course, for the benefit of the newbies.) Sorry LA Guy, I couldn't resist

5. HeyYouItsMike

HeyYouItsMike Well-Known Member

Last week I went into a shop and was told by a salesguy that my sweater made my skin look pale. Even if its true (which it was), I couldn't believe that the guy would insult my taste, especially since I was a regular customer.

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Why, he wanted to sell you a new sweater, of course.

7. HeyYouItsMike

(HeyYouItsMike @ 20 Oct. 2004, 08:35) Last week I went into a shop and was told by a salesguy that my sweater made my skin look pale. Â Even if its true (which it was), I couldn't believe that the guy would insult my taste, especially since I was a regular customer.
    Why, he wanted to sell you a new sweater, of course.
    Actually, he wanted to sell me a jacket in the same color.

8. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I find LAGuy's posts to be very candid and, perhaps as a result, very amusing and a joy to read. Â [​IMG]

9. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I was at Harry Rosen and talking this rather out of shape lady sales associate.  I need some alteration on my navy Canali.  But from the get-go, she start yepping how the suit does not fit properly, I should buy MTM Canali suits.  She also said my suit does not 'hug' my body.

At this point I was pissed off.  I usually let sales person say whatever, but this time I had to correct her.  I said  "Listen, Canali does not have MTM.  They have made to order.  Which means its same as RTW, but can select better fitting pants which is not the problem here.  Also, MTM is not going to solve my problem.  I guarentee, MTM in 1st attempt result  won't be that dramatic.  It takes serveral try but I do not have time and patient for that."

All I need was taper rear skirt seam a bit .. but she was reluctant to help me .. I was really piss off @ f**k face of her.

Its like when you are buying they'll say things that will make you feel like million bucks, then the truth come out when you seek for help later.

I am really not considering to shop at Harry retail anymore.
    I'll go outlet though, simply sales staffs are more friendly and low prices.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No worries  [​IMG] Horace, I was actually incredibly polite.  I knew, going in, that the Andover Shop was an institution, and made great pains to respect it.  I even complimented, within Davidson's earshot, his selection of older, traditional, American brands (I'm not a fan of the preppy look, but I am capable of appreciating things for what they are.)  I even complimented a really terrific dark blue tuxedo in a heavyweight wool with braiding on the trousers (the detail was really quite nice.) when the other salesman was showing me the tuxes they had on hand.  I was looking to get a dinner suit MTM, at a good price, but I am not willing to shell out close to a grand to be condescended or dictated to.  And I don't think that the information I asked for was unreasonable, as we've already discussed ad nauseam.  I don't have generations of experience, but I expect a little respect.  Given the apocryphal story about "Zachary", it seems that Davidson does not respect people as a matter of course.  And this is one Harvard man (and I've convinced several others to follow my lead) he will not serve.  Hopefully, he will not be around to serve (or abuse) another generation of "Harvard Men". Edited for grammar (again).

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

"I am not willing to shell out close to a grand to be condescended to or dictated to"

makes sense to me....

12. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Personally, I refuse to pay more than $750 to be condescended to. . . .

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have some friends who pay very good money to the right person for a 45 minute session of "being condescended to" ...

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Right. "Friends".

15. HeyYouItsMike

Interesting statement.  I eat at McDonald's once a week spending about $5.50 and the service is a hell of a lot better than most clothing shops I've been to.  

I've also noticed that female salespeople are a LOT better to deal with when buying clothes.  They rarely insist that I buy clothes that obviously don't fit me (a big pet peeve of mine) and they're not angry at the world (or maybe they hide it better).

16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went to the Boston branch of the Andover Shop this weekend and got perfectly adequate service--- they are even lengthening a few ties in stock for me, with one week promised delivery. We'll see how they turn out.

Sorry the Cambridge experience didn't do it for you. Maybe something about being close to Harvard...

17. Horace

Horace Senior member

True, even if he does frequently threaten to thrash the rude or overdressed  Davidson must have really raised his ire, usually he just wants to kick em in the rocks  (the threats are figurative of course, for the benefit of the newbies.) Sorry LA Guy, I couldn't resist
    No worries  [​IMG] Horace, I was actually incredibly polite.  I knew, going in, that the Andover Shop was an institution, and made great pains to respect it.  I even complimented, within Davidson's earshot, his selection of older, traditional, American brands (I'm not a fan of the preppy look, but I am capable of appreciating things for what they are.)  I even complimented a really terrific dark blue tuxedo in a heavyweight wool with braiding on the trousers (the detail was really quite nice.) when the other salesman was showing me the tuxes they had on hand.  I was looking to get a dinner suit MTM, at a good price, but I am not willing to shell out close to a grand to be condescended or dictated to.  And I don't think that the information I asked for was unreasonable, as we've already discussed ad nauseam.  I don't have generations of experience, but I expect a little respect.  Given the apocryphal story about "Zachary", it seems that Davidson does not respect people as a matter of course.  And this is one Harvard man (and I've convinced several others to follow my lead) he will not serve.  Hopefully, he will not be around to serve (or abuse) another generation of "Harvard Men". Edited for grammar (again).
    LA Guy, I'd like to offer you my apology please. Â Not for so much what I said as how I said it (though those two things are not mutually exclusive). I was more than a bit rude and just a bit antagonistic. If I were to have made a more measured and mature argument it would've gone something like this: Â I don't expect a store to give customer service in the way that you seem to expect; Â the shop is entitled not reveal who its makers are (a point with which you didn't disagree), considering its "investment" in its brand and particular specifications toward the maker, which are unique to the shop; I've known these people for longer than I'd care to say and I would guess that in his reply to your original query, he was just being matter-of-fact and blunt, and this isn't something you'll see as frequently on the West coat (at least LA); indeed, the response seems to be framed in a sort of passive-agressive manner which those outside of New England don't really care for, and with perhaps very good reason. Â I must say that in your follow-up response I took more than a bit of offense to your threatening to slap an 80+ year old man.

18. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

No, I am married. They even recognised Mittal at Verace when we went together. Now he's a guy you want to know, compared to him I am a blue collar citizen, why not look him up. (That's Lakshmi N. Mittal if you really want to do so) Maybe you won't know who I am if you do not know who Mittal is.
    Ahhh, memories.

19. raphael

raphael Senior member

The Andover Shop (Cambridge) refused to tell me who does their MTM suits. I asked the owner (?), "Would you mind telling me which factory do you use for your MTM suits?" to which I got the reply "I would mind - and it wouldn't make a difference anyway. The information would mean nothing to you. All you need to know is that your suit came from the Andover shop." I'll tell you what, it won't. And I'll be sure to recommend to as many people as I can not to patronize your store, sir, because I do not appreciate being condescended to. I don't think that it was an inappropriate question, but there were certainly better ways to have said the same thing. A simple "I'm sorry, but our company policy is to not divulge that type of information" would have sufficed.

1 - this is a rude question to ask - next time why don't you go further and ask him what his markup is. [​IMG]
    2- if you're that picky about it, you'd know/recognize the factory's handiwork anyway. [​IMG]
    3- the owner's right: it means nothing to you anyway. Why would you go to him to buy a suit if you would rather deal directly with the factory.

I don't understand why people need to know which factory a suit is from. Is the suit well-made or not? Can you tell? If one can't tell the difference between a good suit and a bad one, just buy the cheap stuff until it becomes second nature to tell the difference.

20. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

I proudly tell all my customers where our selections are from, how they are made, what their fabric content is, how to care for it, even if they don't ask.
    The OP knows what he knows because he asks.