The ignorance of others

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

In the words of John Lennon

"imagine no possessions...."

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Steve, you hippie. [​IMG] Seriously, is everyone taking cranky pills lately? It's not life and death here people.

3. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

You are not rich in empathy? Sure you are. You are a very caring person.

4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I'm going to have to agree with LA Guy on this one. How many self-made billionaires are there really - aside from Mark Cuban? And why does it really matter how anyone earns their money?

And as to who Mr. Kalra is, I really have no idea, but it is quite interesting to see the pictures of his cars and to hear about the different stores he visits. I, personally, had never heard of a Veyron before he mentioned it. Nor, to be honest, had I have heard of Mr. Mittal. However, in doing a quick Google search, he is certainly an interesting fellow. In fact, I would love to see some pictures of this house he has in London that is apparently the most expensive house ever purchased in the world.

I say, let's just enjoy getting to know each other on this board and stop making judgements about how others make a living.

Just my two cents,

Bradford

5. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Don't be a facetious asshole re: LA Guy's spelling errors. You've already got enough of the asshole thing going with your unabashed disdain for the working class.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You do know that I'm, empathetically, *not* rich, right?

Satisfied? The commas are not needed, strictly, but they should clear up any ambiguity. I assume that you were joking though.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I can understand how things are important here to both sides, as this is obviously an argument of principles, but I don't think that it really belongs here.

The original point was that some stores mistreat their customers wrongly. I think it's an injustice to the "Men's Clothing" section to have this sort of an argument.

8. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I think many people here have had no previous experience with Internet forums, and they're just now realizing that, unlike in real life, they can be rude without any consequences. I guess being retarded doesn't help either. [​IMG] In terms of store etiquette, I hope for a "Hello, do you need any help with anything today?" and for them to fade into the background after I say "no". Smothering me doesn't help sales, and neither does ignoring me totally - something which happens quite a bit in mall-type stores. Case in point, a friend of mine wanted a white suit for a Christmas party, so we went to find the cheapest one we could find at one of those low-end chain stores. Walked in the door past the two employees, who were chatting about their DVDs, no response. The white suits were on a high rack, presumably to avoid grubby fingers, so we stood below them for a good five minutes. No response. We talked loudly about my friend's suit size, no response. We talked loudly about the party, where my friend would be wearing his new white suit, no response. Probably 10-15 minutes in the store, and we never even got a "hello". Now that's service. And, like everyone else here, I hate the attitude of some employees, who are convinced that all customers are ignorant about their product. I hate being told "that jacket is a really good fit on you" when it's painfully obvious it isn't...

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

That happens to me all the time. It's the worst, it seems to happen in Nordstrom the most. I hate Nordstrom.

10. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

And usually they are saying this as they prepare to wrench the jacket from your shoulders, and run to the register to ring it up...

Something that really ticked me off once - when I first started learning about fused vs. canvased suits, I was in a store in the LA garment district. The salesman was telling me how his "high end" Emilio Yuste suits were not fused. No glue whatsoever. As he was saying it, I was rolling the very stiff and very fused chest fabric through my fingers. I hate being lied to.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Last time I was in Boston, my horrible experience was with Louis Boston. Suffice to say that I won't be a patron in that store upon my next trip to the city. Jon.
    Interesting, I was at Louis Boston about two years ago and the salesmen in the Kiton/Oxxford section was more than willing to help out me and a buddy. Given that we were both around 19/20 at the time, it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to be making a purchase. He was helpful regardless. I get the same treatment always in Bergdorf Goodman; the salespeople there are outstanding.
    Interesting, as with your case I am 21 now, but was 19 at the time when I went to the store. And, I was there to purchase a few items. Perhaps not thousands of dollars worth of merchandise but, surely a few hundred dollars worth at least. And it was November, thus I was dressed for the weather (I live in SoFla, so not really used to the Boston cold): A nice pair of Loro Piana light gray dress slacks, a pair of AE with thick matching woolen socks, a Zegna white with blue checks shirt with a matching silk / wool Zegna off-green and white polka dots tie, on top of which a light green RLPL cashmere v-neck sweater rested. To top all this off I had a Black 3 Button, single-breasted thick cashmere Loro Piana sport coat. But, still I was not treated to any attention. A nice "hello, may I help you?" would have been sufficient, but alas.... Jon.

12. AAA

AAA Senior member

Richard's in Greenwich is the worst about that...unless you look a certain way, the staff will do their best to avoid even talking to you.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Perhaps unsurprisingly, stores with younger staff and clientele (eg. Maxfield and Fred Segal) tend to be a lot friendlier. Very, very high end stores that cater to a variety of clientele such as Scott Hill, Scott and Co. (both L.A.) and Wilkes-Bashford (S.F.) also tend to be reasonably friendly - content to let customers browse or ask questions without looking like you are wasting their time, even though it may be obvious that you can probably afford nothing in the store. It's the mid-range independent stores catering to older (sorry, mature) men which have the rudest salesmen and proprietors. My experience at the Andover shop was an extreme case; but I've also had a similar experience with one of the salesmen at Stonestreets (also in Cambridge). While the proprietor, Bill, is extremely friendly, as is the woman who works there, the older gentleman salesman is downright surly unless you look like you are about to make an immediate purchase, in which case he is obsequious. Awful, just awful.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

the only rudeness i've encountered is lying. i've had salesmen tell me that i wouldn't find any double vented suits anywhere simply because they didn't carry any themselves. i've had salesmen tell me a jacket fit me when it was painfully obvious it didn't.

as for ignorance, i've dealt with suit salesmen that didn't know what a ticket pocket was. i don't even expect salespeople to be very knowledgable about their products anymore.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I found Paul Wade quite helpful. As for Bergdorf they were rather pleasent I would say.