• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hunt for the most versatile boot

Evergreen88

Reaction score
Adspainy since you like Loake, what do you think of the Anglesey? It's sleeker than most Loake boots, with a nice F fitting.

I have a pair myself and it seems very durable, with a thick storm-welted sole.

IMG_20180514_125546_01_01.jpg

PSX_20180930_230135.jpg

coldsalmon

Reaction score
If the versatility only has to span casual and "smart casual," it seems that most boots sold by any SF-approved bootmaker would work. The "most versatile boot" would, presumably, span a much larger spectrum.

In my personal quest for a snow boot that can be worn with an odd jacket and tie, I have attempted the following disasters:
41E3351F-7019-48C8-BD6C-A6206DB16EAD.jpeg
CF5CCD77-3D55-4595-95D2-049F6BC4BCAF.jpeg
5EC769EB-AFF1-419B-BA91-17F67F4D0D06.jpeg

7DEF1074-75F2-4364-A2D5-4FFF4556238C.jpeg
DA31DE99-E4FE-4376-8700-3C716030A42C.jpeg
60A0109D-B35D-4ABB-B90F-DDE3262911F2.jpeg

All of these could be worn with jeans. Only the last one really works with a non-tweed jacket and tie as well - at least, according to the people who yell at me over on WAYWRN.

So, I think you will be hard pressed to find a fine boot that doesn't work with jeans. I don't really know what smart casual means though so maybe I'm misunderstanding your needs.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own no C&J, yet I somehow have found reasonable solace in my shoe and boot collection.
You don't own any C&J but you do own tons of Vass, St.Crispins and the list goes on and own. They are all great boots. I do own the Skye 3, Tetbury and Islays from C&J. All of them are excellent boots but so are the ones in your collection!!
I am not so sold on the Carlos Santos brand. I do have a black chelsea and a derby shoe in Braga. The leather quality is not in the same category as my Carmina and Crockett and Jones.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't own any C&J but you do own tons of Vass, St.Crispins and the list goes on and own. They are all great boots. I do own the Skye 3, Tetbury and Islays from C&J. All of them are excellent boots but so are the ones in your collection!!
I am not so sold on the Carlos Santos brand. I do have a black chelsea and a derby shoe in Braga. The leather quality is not in the same category as my Carmina and Crockett and Jones.

The smooth leather from Carlos Santos doesn't really impress me from the pictures I've seen, but then frankly, I'm not over the moon about Carmina's smooth leather either. I am very impressed with my CS grain leather offerings though - particularly the patina grain - and I can't say that they seem any less appealing or of less quality than my grain Carminas. For suede, I'd give the nod to Carmina over CS. The C&J suede shoes I have seen and tried on have impressed as nicer quality in turn than Carmina.

orig.jpg

And speaking of C&J, my intention wasn't to knock them - they are rock solid offerings in their price category. I was just disputing that C&J (or any single brand for that matter) is a "must have" - and that a list of 5 "must have" shoes would be populated almost exclusively by C&J. I'd respond the same if someone swapped Vass for C&J in such a statement. There are just way too many worthwhile midrange offerings for the suggestion that one brand rules all to hold much water.

And speaking of water - veldtshoen / stormwelt have less to do with water resistance than the material choice for the upper. Zug leather and CXL will perform better in this regard than crust, for example, regardless of those factors.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The smooth leather from Carlos Santos doesn't really impress me from the pictures I've seen, but then frankly, I'm not over the moon about Carmina's smooth leather either. I am very impressed with my CS grain leather offerings though - particularly the patina grain - and I can't say that they seem any less appealing or of less quality than my grain Carminas. For suede, I'd give the nod to Carmina over CS. The C&J suede shoes I have seen and tried on have impressed as nicer quality in turn than Carmina.

orig.jpg

And speaking of C&J, my intention wasn't to knock them - they are rock solid offerings in their price category. I was just disputing that C&J (or any single brand for that matter) is a "must have" - and that a list of 5 "must have" shoes would be populated almost exclusively by C&J. I'd respond the same if someone swapped Vass for C&J in such a statement. There are just way too many worthwhile midrange offerings for the suggestion that one brand rules all to hold much water.

And speaking of water - veldtshoen / stormwelt have less to do with water resistance than the material choice for the upper. Zug leather and CXL will perform better in this regard than crust, for example, regardless of those factors.
I have not purchased and Carlos Santos grain but yours do look sharp!!
As for Carmina's calf i agree.. but their suede to me is similar in quality to C&J. Also in Carlos Santos defense they are not in the same price point.

Appreciate your feedback Sir!!

Cheers,

standaloneprotein

Reaction score

orig.jpg

Roger, what patina color is that one? Thanks

motosacto

Reaction score
Loake Bedale? May meet most of your criteria. There is also the Alden Indy, but it might not quite be formal enough...

nygooner

Reaction score
I have been considering the same issue for some time and have tentatively settled on the AS Cambridge. However, I may be a little more irresponsible and split my needs across two - the Snowdon and either the Carlos Santos or L&T version of the Galway.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as the perfect boot for everything (or, ahem, a 'one shoe'). You are always going to have to make some compromises. If you want real all-weather protection, then you are looking at Norwegian welt or veldtschoen contstruction and commando soles, which means chunkiness. If that's too chunky for you then, the goodyear + dainite is about as weather-resistant as you are going to get (in terms of sole construction). After that, it's all about upper materials and treatment: finer leathers polished for shine, are always going to be less water resistant than thicker leathers slathered in Mink Oil or dubbin.

Personally, if you think you need a serious all-conditions boot, just get one. Something like the Cheaney Pennine II (or the Herring Shoes equivalent) https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/cheaney/pennine-ii-rubber_rubber-soled-boots . You can still dress them up, as long as you don't mind the slightly retro 'military' look. But otherwise, back where the OP started is pretty much as good as you get.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions:

Louis, by Cobbler Union

Herring Churchstow by Carlos Santos

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics