• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hunger Games

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are any of you fans of the series? All the casting rumours for the film adaptation are quite exciting.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't done Mockingjay yet, as I've been bogged down with grad school reading, but I thought the first book was phenomenal. The second book sort of felt like it was setting up the third, so hopefully MJ is a good pay off. She deserves credit for very astutely ripping off Battle Royale for an American audience.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Battle Royale manga (the same can't really be said for the movies). That's probably what drew my brother to introduce me to the Hunger Games series. It's definitely milder but that's to be expected.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's still pretty rad and violent, considering how young some kids reading it are. But then, I read all sorts of weird **** when I was little and I turned out mostly okay. Any experience with the battle royale novels, which I believe predate the manga?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I've read that the manga follows the novels pretty closely but with much more detail on the participants' pasts. The author himself was quoted as saying the manga also adds heaps more in terms of character development. But back to the Hunger Games. What's your take on giving the film an R-rating? In a perfect world, I believe it should be but I can pretty much understand why they'd keep it PG-13.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Hunger Games gets a release date!
Game on! Lionsgate has announced to EW that The Hunger Games, the highly anticipated adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ futuristic YA thriller about scrapper Katniss Everdeen and her fight to survive a brutal reality TV contest, will be released on March 23, 2012. Director Gary Ross recently revealed to EW that he aims to go into production of the first installment of Collins’ trilogy later this spring.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Been meaning to start reading the series, with the movie date set that has given me a reason to start it up.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ It's pretty crazy considering there hasn't been a confirmed cast yet. That doesn't make me any less excited though.
redface.gif

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
Been meaning to start reading the series, with the movie date set that has given me a reason to start it up.

You could probably polish off the entire series in a couple of days, or a week at most. They are very quick reads, plus they sort of draw you in so you don't want to put them down. At least that was my experience with them, even though I found the last book sort of dissatisfying.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Yea I am just looking for some easy reading to do while at work, usually have way to much free time. Was considering starting A Game of Thrones but I think i would need to read that outside of work to focus more. Just ordered the all 3 books on amazon since I had a $20 gift card

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Awesome. May the odds be ever in your favour.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
my wife read all 3 books in a day. she tried to explain it to me, sounds really out there but i'll probably go see the film versions with her mostly so i can drag her to On the Road.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jennifer Lawrence will play Katniss in 'The Hunger Games'
According to a report in The Wrap, 20-year-old Jennifer Lawrence, whose blisteringly fine work in Winter’s Bone earned her an Oscar nomination, has landed the coveted role of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games. In director Gary Ross’ adaptation of the first installment to Suzanne Collins’ much beloved trilogy, Lawrence will play the 16-year-old tribute from District 12 who takes her younger sister’s place in the annual reality TV death match played out in a futuristic America. Filming is set to begin later this spring. A source closely familiar with the casting told EW an official announcement should be coming shortly.
via EW
Hmm..I'm kind of on the fence about this casting choice to be honest.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
'Hunger Games' casts Peeta and Gale: Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth nab the roles
Josh Hutcherson (The Kids are All Right) and Liam Hemsworth (The Last Song) have joined the cast of Hunger Games in the roles of Peeta Mellark and Gale Hawthorne, respectively, Lionsgate announced today in a release. Both actors will star opposite Jennifer Lawrence, who will play Katniss Everdeen, the heroine who volunteers to represent her remote district in the brutal annual survival test. Hutcherson, for one, has long thought he was right for the part: Check out his Q&A with EW’s Karen Valby at SXSW, in which the actor talks about his desire to play Peeta. The Hunger Games, based on Suzanne Collins’ best-selling trilogy, will be directed by Gary Ross and released by Lionsgate on March 23, 2012.
via EW
This is such ******* bullshit!! Hunter Parrish IS Peeta. ****.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dayo Okeniyi and Amandla Stenberg to Play Thresh and Rue in THE HUNGER GAMES
hunger-games-district-11-slice.jpg
Dayo Okeniyi and Amandla Stenberg will play District 11 tributes Thresh and Rue in Gary Ross’ adaptation of The Hunger Games. Lionsgate has set up a Facebook page where they’ll be revealing all of the tributes from the 12 districts. Previously-announced cast members Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson play District 12’s tributes Katniss (the story’s protagonist) and Peeta (her love interest). Liam Hemsworth co-stars as Katniss’ friend Gale.
via Collider 'Hunger Games' casts its Glimmer and Marvel
Jack Quaid, son of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid, and Leven Rambin (Grey’s Anatomy, All My Children) have been cast as two of the Career Tributes in the movie adaptation of The Hunger Games. Making his acting debut, Quaid will play Marvel, the brutal male tribute from District 1. Ramblin will play his female counterpart Glimmer, the emerald-eyed vixen who nabs the bow and arrow set at the Cornucopia. Quaid and Ramblins’ casting comes on the heels of yesterday’s news of newcomers Dayo Okeniyi and Amandla Stenberg landing the respective roles of District 11 Tributes Thresh and Rue, and today’s revelation that Elizabeth Banks is all but signed on to play tinny handler Effie Trinket.
Quaid-Rambin_320.jpg
via EW
Finally, casting choices that don't suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads