• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hound San Francisco may be closing

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long-time retailer of trad and, more recently,
less trad clothing and furnishings in the Union
Square district may be closing. The owner, whose
name I forget, told me that at age 81
(he looks younger), it is time to retire.
He did mention that several buyers
have expressed interest in the store, which
is one of the two remaining independent men's
stores in the main shopping district, the other
being Cable Car Clothiers on the same street.

http://www.thehound.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the same news. So sad. I wish the Armoury could open up a West Coast shop, but that's a lot of space.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told by a reliable retailer in SF that The Hound will be closing at the end of 2018.

The Hound, in the 1980's was located across the street and was one of the finest classic tailored specialty menswear stores in San Francisco or any other city in the US. Think Ralph Lauren at it's very best for CM but sourced from the best independent suppliers in the US, UK and Italy. It's never been the same since moving and is now a shadow of it's former self. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy the business and that space. It is far too large square footage (massive monthly overhead) and the store name doesn't retain any of the value of it's decades older former self. A smaller, more efficient store catering to a younger Bay Area consumer might have a good shot in a smaller location. Drakes, The Armoury or even Khakis's of Carmel would offer something that the major retailers just can't offer.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told by a reliable retailer in SF that The Hound will be closing at the end of 2018.

The Hound, in the 1980's was located across the street and was one of the finest classic tailored specialty menswear stores in San Francisco or any other city in the US. Think Ralph Lauren at it's very best for CM but sourced from the best independent suppliers in the US, UK and Italy. It's never been the same since moving and is now a shadow of it's former self. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy the business and that space. It is far too large square footage (massive monthly overhead) and the store name doesn't retain any of the value of it's decades older former self. A smaller, more efficient store catering to a younger Bay Area consumer might have a good shot in a smaller location. Drakes, The Armoury or even Khakis's of Carmel would offer something that the major retailers just can't offer.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I moved to the Bay Area in 1988, I purchased
a suit from the previous location in 1985 .
It was a Leo Pozzi with natural shoulders and
side vents. The salesman who sold me the suit is
still with them. I still have the suit. Gus is right
about the old store: not a hodge lodge and
with more consistent merchandise.

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.sfchronicle.com/busines...wear-company-The-Hound-Clothiers-13668800.php

Too bad. Even though it may be only a shadow of it's former incarnation, I've valued it in the Union Square district as a spot to find a selection of good quality, independent US and EU makers. Not to mention the best Marciolani sock selection I have come across in B&M locations around the Bay Area. It was a refreshing contrast from the big luxury department stores and boutiques, and had staff that actually knew their wares, and what classic style is about.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found it to be jammed packed with old and new stuff. It was difficult, at best, to see the good things since they were over shadowed by some odd, dated things.

The rumor is the Patrick James guys were going to buy it and keep the owners on for a period of time as a buyout, but that fell apart just recently. Thats what happens to any business that doesn't have a succession plan.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Patrick James closed their Union Square store several
years ago. I wonder what made them consider re-opening?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads