• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I highly recommend Dashnor Tailoring (320 E81st), everything (ranging from hemming trousers to taking in very baggy chalk stripe trousers) he has done for me has been fantastic. I believe he used to be head of the tailoring division at the Tom Ford flagship and has impeccable definition to detail. I now hold off on getting alterations in England and wait until I can visit him here in NY.

any idea how much he would charge to make belt loop to side tab?

Robar

Reaction score
I have no clue unfortunately, I definitely thought the work he has done for me has been well priced if that helps. Give him a call. I think he is by appointment only except on Saturdays.

fuseli98

Reaction score
I've been for alterations in the last year or two to LNC and have been pleased with the work. I'm now contemplating going to him to make up a suit. I've read prior posts, but just wondering if anyone has had recent experience (last 3-4 years, say) with custom work there, especially (but not only) CMT. And if so, what you've been quoted. TIA.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Alright, before all the pitch forks come out, I looked back up to pg 60 (anything before that seemed outdated...)

I am going to be getting some shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt (3-4 shirts) and Kamakura (2-3). Fit from both companies are overall good but I need possibly shorten the length a bit, remove some of the excess fabric on the back, and possibly dart it? I honestly don't know exactly what I need/want to get fixed.

My question is, who is the best + most affordable tailor to alter shirts that are on the cheaper side.

Thanks

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering either Sam Wazin or Dashnor in NYC for alterations. I was looking into Peter Field (Arthur and Lucca) as well but it seems they temporarily closed their NYC location. However, I'd prefer to do my alterations here in NJ so any recommendations? I used to go to Summit Tailors in Summit years ago but the last few visits have been terrible. The guy started out great but for some reason his work went downhill.

windrunner

Reaction score
Manny formerly of Wilfreds's - anybody know if Manny is still working here in NYC? Thanks

BK_Verbs

Reaction score
I been using the Tailoring Room on Clinton Street for years. I trust them to alter shoulders on suits and any other difficult alterations. I’ve had them rework some very expensive suits without issue. My wife, who is especially particular ;) about her clothes, let them alter one of her wedding dresses, that’s enough of an endorsement for me.

She also likes a new place called Laura and Melinda around the corner on Rivington. They are actually open on Sundays too, which is rare.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read up that Jonathan's stitches buttonholes. Any pics or feedback for those that have gone to them?

I have a jacket with basted sleeves in the right length that I would like them added and looking at options in NYC.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you in New York, where's a good place to have a trunk show? I Sarti Italiani is coming in November and I'm helping them get setup and have no idea where to host fittings in a convenient place.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lombardy Hotel (NsM does it there)
HMS International, 720 5th Avenue, 9th Floor - Huddersfield will host traveling tailors. It is not a great spot, but might be economical

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you in New York, where's a good place to have a trunk show? I Sarti Italiani is coming in November and I'm helping them get setup and have no idea where to host fittings in a convenient place.

Maybe a nice air bnb?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested, Guido Davi of Sartoria Davi is coming to New York May 7-11. I have no idea where the trunk show will be, but you can contact him directly for more information (pricing, etc):

[email protected]

He’s a fantastic tailor, speaks English well, and I got a chance to meet him the last time I was in Palermo. I wrote about him here:

https://journal.styleforum.net/sicilian-tailoring/

Here are a couple more articles about him:
http://www.thebespokedudes.com/en/artisans/644/the-sicilian-chapter-sartoria-davi

https://www.sleevehead.org/2018/12/palermo-tailor-sartoria-davi.html?150764&150764

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sartoriadavi/

mikealvaa

Reaction score
I just moved to Brooklyn (crown heights). Anyone recommend a new tailor for basic alterations (hemming, sleeves, etc) ? The closer the better

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Salvo from I Sarti Italiani will be out for a trunk show the following dates:

Manhattan: Friday Nov 1 - Sunday Nov 3
Trunk show will be at an AirBNB at 126 Lexington Ave NY, NY

Not including cloth, sport coats are 840 Euro and suits are 1000 Euro. Salvo accepts CMT and will bring Italian books, mostly Drapers, Drago, and Zegna.

Feel free to PM for more details and questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads