• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

jssdc

Reaction score

Price list for the people who took over Cardelino

Is the new incarnation of cardelino's still recommended? Just moved back to NYC and it turns out they're across the street from my new office....

sentry

Reaction score
Just dropped off a topcoat and 3 pants at LNC. I had the sleeves and body shortened in the topcoat, 2 pants were hemmed, and 1 pant was hemmed and tapered.

Came out to $133 total. I believe the breakdown was $70 for the sleeves, $30 for the shortening, and $33 for the pants. I'm Asian but I don't think I got the Asian discount, although only $11 for tapering and hemming a pant is quite a nice deal (usually runs me around $25).

I also want to add Wo's Custom Tailoring on 71st and 2nd. He's expensive but he does great work. I recently brought a BB suit that had some issues with rippling in the back and he was able to clean it up and reset the pitch of the shoulder as well.

MKELLY

Reaction score
Looking for a full service tailor in/around midtown. Have two MTO suits that I need tailored/tweaked on a somewhat urgent basis. So need to get it right the first time. It's stuff I would've taken to PoP two years ago, and would like someone of comparable skill/quality.

Is there a consensus view on who that might be?

loxo

Reaction score
Looking for a full service tailor in/around midtown. Have two MTO suits that I need tailored/tweaked on a somewhat urgent basis. So need to get it right the first time. It's stuff I would've taken to PoP two years ago, and would like someone of comparable skill/quality.

Is there a consensus view on who that might be?
I have used Sam Wazin and highly recommend him. I've had a suit, 2 jackets, and several pairs of trousers altered by him.

jivyivy

Reaction score
I have a pair of deadstock 1950's J. P. Stevens & Co. army twills that are too long and need to be hemmed and I need a solid reliable tailor with same-day turnaround. These are the only casuals that I packed so I'm in a bind. I've been wearing them rolled which looks stupid. Anyone have any good recommendations; ideally between Upper East/Midtown and SoHo? Also open weekends and preferably Sunday (ie. not Winston) ... I really just need someone competent enough to cut and cleanly copy the original hem stitch, so a good alterations spot is fine as long as they know what they're doing. Thanks!

jivyivy

Reaction score
I have a pair of deadstock 1950's J. P. Stevens & Co. army twills that are too long and need to be hemmed and I need a solid reliable tailor with same-day turnaround. These are the only casuals that I packed so I'm in a bind. I've been wearing them rolled which looks stupid. Anyone have any good recommendations; ideally between Upper East/Midtown and SoHo? Also open weekends and preferably Sunday (ie. not Winston) ... I really just need someone competent enough to cut and cleanly copy the original hem stitch, so a good alterations spot is fine as long as they know what they're doing. Thanks!

Last edited:

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I have a pair of AG jeans that I received as a Christmas present. I've lost weight since then, so they are now far too large in the waist, at least 1". Is it worth it to have them taken in at the waist, or should I put that money toward a new pair from Gustin? They have several pairs for $77; rather than spend $25 altering jeans, would that be a better use of my money?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just realized Dynasty Tailors closed down. Joseph was always a pleasure to work with. Anyone know by chance if he closed for good or moved to a different location?

epic raccoon

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to NYC and began my career not too long ago, so I'm shopping for entry-level MTM suits or OTR + alterations. Ideally I'd rather not spend any more than $500 because these will be "stopgap" suits which I only need to last me about two years of semi-regular wear. I have very unusual and particular requirements in terms of suit construction and sizing, hence MTM.

Regardless, I'm looking to begin a (hopefully) long business relationship with a tailor.

I also happen to be of East Asian descent, and I'm somewhat conversationally fluent in Mandarin Chinese (my vocabulary is lacking severely but Google Translate helps there :D). I'm hoping this will come in handy.

Anyways, LNC Custom Tailor (Yelp) seems to garner positive reviews, and it looks like they used to make custom suits at one point according to this thread? The pictures in that thread are no longer visible though, and the thread itself is a decade old.

Other threads are anywhere from 5-10 years old and I'm not entirely sure if those tailors are still in business now.

So, my questions are:

1. As of now (September 2016) which Chinatown tailors come highly recommended, and how do they compare price-wise?
  2. Are there any Chinatown tailors who offer MTM services (like that of Indochino, etc) and if so, what sort of price ranges are we looking at here?
  3. In general, is there any advice anybody can offer regarding NYC Chinatown tailors? Anybody here also of East Asian descent and/or fluent in Chinese with relevant experience?

I'm actually on my way to Chinatown in an hour or so. Unfortunately as it's Saturday, they'll likely be closed by the time I arrive. I will try to post updates of my own if I can.

Thanks very much in advance. Cheers :)

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good reweaver run New York City? Preferably in Brooklyn, although any borough is acceptable.

Marsay

Reaction score
I'm looking to have the sleeves on a sport coat lengthened in NYC. And I might even start having my basic alterations done there too (a seamstress in New Haven tried to charge me $22 to hem and cuff a pair of trousers). Is LNC still the go-to place? Presumably it's walk-in? How about turnaround times? I would want to come to the city one week and then come back 1-2 weeks later to pick up the finished work.

rc18

Reaction score
Hi fellas - looking for a recommendation for a cheap tailor in murray hill/midtown east area. Need a few pair of chinos and jeans tapered from knee down but not looking to pay 25$ a pop.

Any color would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads