• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Anyone know if Ralph Lauren salesmen get commission from alterations? I just brought some purple label there and wasn’t thrilled with the up selling

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not aware RL sales guy gets commission, haven't bought things from RL in a while, but in the past the Mansion is very good about alteration (not in pricing as I don't remember, but in results and the right recommendation on what to adjust and adjust by how much)

papado

Reaction score
yup, for example if you're just hemming pants, go to local dry cleaners

I agree with the sentiment totally, but I believe a standard hem with Sam is $20 (I think 30 for cuffs); are dry cleaners that much cheaper for a basic hem? Everything else is pretty steep (though they are my go-to for everything). I would say that people shouldn't go out of their way to go to Wazins if they don't have a good amount stuff or some higher end/more complex items to have work done to.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go to Sam 99% of the time because he is on my way to work and literally less than 1 minute away from work. Though I do take hemming to dry cleaner because

1. It’s marginally cheaper (not that important)

2. The real reason, which is it’s even closer... downstairs in the same building and they deliver right back...

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wazin charged me $20 for hem and cuff sometime last year. I don’t that’s expensive for nyc, or I’ve just been overpaying my whole life.

the other issue is there’s always a risk with trying out a new guy that could mess up your garment.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wazin charged me $20 for hem and cuff sometime last year. I don’t that’s expensive for nyc, or I’ve just been overpaying my whole life.

the other issue is there’s always a risk with trying out a new guy that could mess up your garment.

never went to him with hemming due to convience factor (and when he gets busy it takes a while vs my dry cleaner usually next day or two days), good to know hemming is cheap too...

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested, I Sarti Italiani will be swinging through NYC again March 7-8. Available times for 1-hour appointments are Saturday at 5, 6, and 7pm, and Sunday morning at 10 and 11am. Address is 116 John St in the City (that will change starting with the next visit in the fall). DM if you have any questions.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those interested, I Sarti Italiani will be swinging through NYC again March 7-8. Available times for 1-hour appointments are Saturday at 5, 6, and 7pm, and Sunday morning at 10 and 11am. Address is 116 John St in the City (that will change starting with the next visit in the fall). DM if you have any questions.
can't wait. I'm in!

TAFJIR

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a tailor in NYC that can make functioning buttonholes? I’ve tried Wazin and Peppino’s but the results are nowhere near as nice as some of the examples in the hand sewn buttonhole thread, and after several attempts at redos I’ve given up and will happily pay a more skilled tailor to redo them.

I’ve heard there is a woman at the Brioni showroom who used to do them on the side but haven’t had any luck tracking her down.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you got determination, none of my stuff are working other than bespoke, and I wonder if I would even bother to ask working button hole if they're willing to discount otherwise...

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting some machine made buttonholes for 2 jackets by Tailoring NYC. I'll report back how it goes in 2 weeks when I get them back. $65 per jacket for 8 buttonholes total ( 4 each sleeve), also attaching the buttons. Not too bad, they use a Juki if that matters.

TAFJIR

Reaction score
you got determination, none of my stuff are working other than bespoke, and I wonder if I would even bother to ask working button hole if they're willing to discount otherwise...

Yeah I wasn’t planning on it but I was convinced when he showed me an example that he allegedly did and it was impeccably done. When I asked why none of mine looked like that he responded that he didn’t know I was so particular about the buttonholes and that sometimes when he’s making them he doesn’t pay close attention...

I'm getting some machine made buttonholes for 2 jackets by Tailoring NYC. I'll report back how it goes in 2 weeks when I get them back. $65 per jacket for 8 buttonholes total ( 4 each sleeve), also attaching the buttons. Not too bad, they use a Juki if that matters.

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately I’ve been told that it isn’t possible to redo handmade button holes using a machine, apparently the machine cuts and sews at the same time, where as hand sewn are cut then sewn, so it’d have to be redone by hand (or so I’m told). But thank you nonetheless!

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn’t planning on it but I was convinced when he showed me an example that he allegedly did and it was impeccably done. When I asked why none of mine looked like that he responded that he didn’t know I was so particular about the buttonholes and that sometimes when he’s making them he doesn’t pay close attention...

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately I’ve been told that it isn’t possible to redo handmade button holes using a machine, apparently the machine cuts and sews at the same time, where as hand sewn are cut then sewn, so it’d have to be redone by hand (or so I’m told). But thank you nonetheless!
Yea man, it's rough trying to get handmade button holes in NYC. I gave up that idea a while ago. Have you posted what yours look like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads