• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Anyone know if Ralph Lauren salesmen get commission from alterations? I just brought some purple label there and wasn’t thrilled with the up selling

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not aware RL sales guy gets commission, haven't bought things from RL in a while, but in the past the Mansion is very good about alteration (not in pricing as I don't remember, but in results and the right recommendation on what to adjust and adjust by how much)

papado

Reaction score
yup, for example if you're just hemming pants, go to local dry cleaners
I agree with the sentiment totally, but I believe a standard hem with Sam is $20 (I think 30 for cuffs); are dry cleaners that much cheaper for a basic hem? Everything else is pretty steep (though they are my go-to for everything). I would say that people shouldn't go out of their way to go to Wazins if they don't have a good amount stuff or some higher end/more complex items to have work done to.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go to Sam 99% of the time because he is on my way to work and literally less than 1 minute away from work. Though I do take hemming to dry cleaner because

1. It’s marginally cheaper (not that important)

2. The real reason, which is it’s even closer... downstairs in the same building and they deliver right back...

thatboyo

Reaction score
wazin charged me $20 for hem and cuff sometime last year. I don’t that’s expensive for nyc, or I’ve just been overpaying my whole life.

the other issue is there’s always a risk with trying out a new guy that could mess up your garment.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wazin charged me $20 for hem and cuff sometime last year. I don’t that’s expensive for nyc, or I’ve just been overpaying my whole life.

the other issue is there’s always a risk with trying out a new guy that could mess up your garment.
never went to him with hemming due to convience factor (and when he gets busy it takes a while vs my dry cleaner usually next day or two days), good to know hemming is cheap too...

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested, I Sarti Italiani will be swinging through NYC again March 7-8. Available times for 1-hour appointments are Saturday at 5, 6, and 7pm, and Sunday morning at 10 and 11am. Address is 116 John St in the City (that will change starting with the next visit in the fall). DM if you have any questions.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those interested, I Sarti Italiani will be swinging through NYC again March 7-8. Available times for 1-hour appointments are Saturday at 5, 6, and 7pm, and Sunday morning at 10 and 11am. Address is 116 John St in the City (that will change starting with the next visit in the fall). DM if you have any questions.
can't wait. I'm in!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 140 29.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%