1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Funcheese

Funcheese Senior Member

I didn't say Kamakura made custom shirts.

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

Carl does have an amazing selection of fabrics. And makes a good shirt, too!

3. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

Geneva is outstanding. Initial order - 4 shirt minimum, about $1300. you can order individually after that. Expensive, but absolutely top quality and a true custom template. Gene is a great guy. Plenty of fabrics to choose from.

4. Allwhitebuffies

Allwhitebuffies Active Member

Just tried peter field, expensive but hopefully it was worth it. Previously took a few things to wazin, but they screwed up a kiton shirt,acted like it was no big deal, and was astonished when I asked for a discount because of their screw up. Not once did they even offer a discount or anything, and after I complained they gave me a whopping 10 dollars of, should have been free. Place feels like Walmart imo, with poor customer service.

5. stiffrhythms

stiffrhythms Senior Member

I'll be interested to hear how Peter Field goes. I have a few things that I've found that are nice enough that I'm willing to pay a bit of premium to get them done right.
    I'll stick with my regular guy for all the basics.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

What did they f up on? I never had bad experience with Sam so far, never took shirt to them though I suppose.

7. windrunner

windrunner Senior Member

Hadn't been to Wilfred's since he passed. Was there last week and told Manny was no longer there. Anybody know where Manny went? Thanks

8. windrunner

windrunner Senior Member

Bumping this one...anybody know if Manny formerly of Wilfred's is still working here in NYC? Thanks

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

How did it go compared to Wazin?

10. saurabh

saurabh Distinguished Member

Does anyone know any Tailor in NYC that can alter long sleeves on a sweater.

11. stiffrhythms

I had a strange experience with Peter Field that perhaps ultimately turned out... ok, but not great?

I dropped off a suit that admittedly needed a lot of difficult work done: a total recut of the trousers and some finicky work around the collar and lapel to address gap and some bulging - typically the kind of stuff that's not worth it, except that it was a $25 thrifted Fallan and Harvey suit that fit well in the shoulders, so essentially the entire cost for me would be in alterations. Expensive, but expected.

I was measured by one employee in a shrunken skinny jacket who stated a few things that seemed odd to me (claiming that it's good for a jacket to be shorter in the back - not my experience), but I rolled with it.

I waited about six weeks before emailing to ask what became of the suit, and received an apologetic response from a new salesperson, stating that the recently had a 'change in their fit staff'. I visited, asked about that (was told by the new salesperson that she flew out from Chicago based on reports that the NYC location was not up to the quality they expected), and tried on the suit which now had drainpipe skinny trousers and no real apparent work done on the collar. One of their tailors took over from the salesperson and marked the suit for alterations.

A few weeks later I returned to a *new* salesperson and tried on the suit a final time. Now it fits pretty well. If I'm picky I'd say the lapels could still be improved a bit (they almost appear just *slightly* uneven) but I know it was a tough alteration to seek in the first place. The trousers fit well - I could imagine a few tweaks over time, but nothing too urgent. There is, however, some sloppy stitching on the underside of the lapel that is evident where it rolls, and I think that a wrinkle was introduced to the top of one lapel where it was attached to the collar in an untidy way.

So basically: after multiple staff changes and a disappointing and delayed second fitting I recieved a suit that had very difficult alterations carried out more or less alright, but maybe not to the highest standard. I see myself dropping off the jacket somewhere else in the future just to get it reassessed and tidied up a bit. I may have been asking for alterations that were too difficult, but I chose Peter Field because they include those tough jobs on their pricing list (collar shortening, shoulder rebalancing, etc.).

12. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Who’s your next choice?

13. stiffrhythms

Not sure, but based on the general received wisdom, maybe when I have a similar job in the future I finally just pay up and go to Wazin. The guys at P Johnson also recommended that I check out Shopboy, though I worry that it might be a bit too fashion forward.

14. tmcevoy213

tmcevoy213 Well-Known Member

I've found a few suits at INA, specifically the 18th St & Prince St locations. Also recently became aware of The Real Real in Soho, they have some higher end stuff, and a lot on their website too.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor